every 7-8 days 1 4.17%
every 9-10 days 0 0%
every 11-12 days 1 4.17%
every 2-14 days 2 8.33%
less often than every 14 days 19 79.17%
never 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2017, 15:00   #16

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2
Re: Defrosting Freezer

Has anyone tried using the H2OUT desiccant tubes to absorb moisture before it freezes over the evaporator?

h2out

I began using one about a month ago and it doesn't seem to solve the problem, which I thought it should/would. Are others seeing success with the desiccant approach?
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 15:06   #17

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

For commercial freezers an automatic defrost system is used ....mostly initiated by a time clock and mostly utilising a hot gas system, (reverse cycle)..or electric heaters embedded in the evaporator....not heard of a yacht system incorporating either.......all things are possible.....its only money......and lots more things to fail.....
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 15:25   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanneau 45.2 View Post
Has anyone tried using the H2OUT desiccant tubes to absorb moisture before it freezes over the evaporator?

h2out

I began using one about a month ago and it doesn't seem to solve the problem, which I thought it should/would. Are others seeing success with the desiccant approach?
We tried one of those. I could not tell any difference, so quit using it.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:19   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

I've been logging when I defrost the freezer and I guess I haven't been doing as often as it seemed. It looks that I'm about every 2 weeks. I have also noticed that once the icing gets to certain point that growth really accelerates.
Old 08-08-2017, 16:10   #20

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

If you have separate fridge and freezer you can use a Stainless Lobster controller to help with the frost build up.. it has an automatic defrost setting. We use a spillover arrangement so it doesn't work for that but others that have other configurations have reported much success.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 19:27   #21

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Things that affect the "how often" question, not in any particular order, not all inclusive, assuming there is nothing mechanically wrong with the equipment.
Door seal
Humidity
# of times the door is open
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 03:59   #22

Boat: Hunter 40.5 (1994)

We have holding plate systems (one for fridge and one for freezer) which requires a quick defrost as turning off the unit would take too long. Fortunately we can relocate some frozen food to our fridge at the cold plate while we defrost the freezer.

We use 2 remote temperature gauges that I monitor daily without opening the lids, to see if temps are climbing.

At first , we directed a couple of pots of room temperature water over the cold plate trying to get both sides. Problem was that although we could remove the heavy frost, the remaining film of water would freeze on the plate, plus the water would freeze at the floor of the freezer or fridge. This turned out to be a short term solution and the thick frost returned quickly.

Then I thought to try a de-ice solution, like we do at airports. I purchased some plumbing antifreeze (non toxic -50 C) from the local hardware, the same we use in our water lines in the winter. I filled a spray bottle with 100% pink antifreeze. Now, following the pots of water, we dry the plate quickly as much as we can, and I spray the plate with the antifreeze, unable to reach the back of the plate of course. I then dry the plate as much as I can which then is frost free. Our plate remained frost free for about 3 days before beginning and the frost built at a slower rate as the antifreeze removed the water from the floor too. Temps dropped by over 4 degrees. The odour of the antifreeze spray dispelled quickly, it also had no affect upon our food. Our food was returned to the freezer shortly after we completed the de-ice task.

Hope this helps.
alback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 05:42   #23

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Things that affect the "how often" question, not in any particular order, not all inclusive, assuming there is nothing mechanically wrong with the equipment.
Door seal
Humidity
# of times the door is open
This is the key. The door seal should not let ambient air in or out. You can check this with a dollar bill. Put it in, close the door and see if you can pull it out. Do this all around the door.

If you open the door in a humid area, moisture enters the compartment and creates frost when it freezes. In a dry environment this will not happen (as much).

Most importantly, limit how often and for how long the door is opened. This is very difficult for some people to understand. Each time you open the door and every second it is open contributes to frost (and power consumption). Decide before you open the door, what you want to get out or put in and then do it as quickly as possible.

And if you are putting things in the freezer and they are wet, dry them off first.
Old 30-08-2017, 07:24   #24

Defrosting Freezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
This is the key. The door seal should not let ambient air in or out. You can check this with a dollar bill. Put it in, close the door and see if you can pull it out. Do this all around the door.

Now we're getting somewhere.

What year was your door seal installed? Along with dollar bill, put a bright light inside and check for light leaks.

At a minimum, thoroughly wash your seal with warm water and a clean white rag.

Replacement seals are cheap and the part # will be listed in your manual.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 17:25   #25

Boat: gozzard 44

I have to defrost every couple of weeks and I've replaced the seals every couple of years
I think my problem is the evaporator is too close to the top lid. When I open the lid water runs off it. I was thinking of a thermal blanket to place over the evaporator it to keep the cold within.

Any recommendations for a thermal blanket...if there is such a thing.

Thanks,
Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 18:02   #26

Depends on the space. Post a photo if you can. Possibly use a space blanket or infrastop double bubble (amazon).
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer