Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 06:43   #1

Dehydrated Food

When I go backpacking I take dehydrated food. I have shared with some folks who make their own meals and dehydrated them and it was amazingly delicious. I wonder if this idea would be realistic for longer cruises. It doesn't take much water to rehydrate them, but would it be too much?

If it would work it would be delicious meals that would last without much weight and no need to refridgerate. It could increase self sufficiency in theory.

Thoughts?
Soyabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:55   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Dehydrated food

Those packets of dried pasta a truly amazing - they are easy to cook, and once padded out with hardy vegetables (such as onions and garlic), they are truly delicious.

For longer cruises, tinned seems to be the way to go - they last well, keep their flavour and nutrients, and require very little cooking...

Of course, dried fruit is also good - you can either eat it as is, or throw it in food - think of how juicy raisins become in a curry.... Mmmmm -you've made me hungry now - I need to go and cook lunch!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:03   #3

Boat: 24' sailing paraw - traditional Filipino

I've found dehydrated meals pricing kept them off my boats for the most part.
Great for a long weekend but that's about it
panglao dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:13   #4

COST !!
There is a pretty good discussion here:
survival-homestead DOT com/long-term-food-storage
but they are trying to sell you their product, in #10 cans no less.
Would get pretty tired of eating the same thing while trying to finish off a large can...
Bruce Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:38   #5

I was thinking of making my own dehydrated food. The premade packets can be very pricy! But a decent dehydrator isn't too bad and then it doesn't cost more than what it would normally for cooking. Just takes a bit more time for the dehydration.
Soyabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:51   #6

I guess I don't see any great advantage in dried food over canned. That along with the price of ready made or the hassle of home made. It won't make it aboard my boat.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:54   #7

Boat: 24' sailing paraw - traditional Filipino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyabean View Post
I was thinking of making my own dehydrated food. The premade packets can be very pricy! But a decent dehydrator isn't too bad and then it doesn't cost more than what it would normally for cooking. Just takes a bit more time for the dehydration.
I had some luck drying fruits on my cat in Florida....I found that you really need sun and breeze to really do the job .....that's dried salted cod worked so well in far northern climes
panglao dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:57   #8
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

We were once approached by a couple who had provisioned with great quantities of dehydrated fruits, vegetables and meat substitutes and they were desperate to trade us ANYTHING for some of their supplies. There are dehydrated foods and freeze-dried foods. Some dehydrates and most FD's are good but many DH's are simply awful. They are even worse if you open a big can and don't use it all quickly. Despite your best efforts, some dried foods deteriorate quickly once the sea air hits them.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:03   #9

3 cases of assorted Ramen Noodle packs...does that count as dehydrated food?
harmonytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47   #10

Growing up on the farm, we dehydrated fruit on the back inside deck, behind the back seat, of our car. Put the fruit on baking pans, (or an old piece of tin that was blown off the barn roof!), roll the windows up and park that car in the sun. Fruit dries without flies getting all over it, and the car smells really great! I guess you could then vacuum pack it to reduce volume and prolong storage time.
Bruce Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 20:42   #11

Boat: Canoe,One Person SailBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyabean View Post
When I go backpacking I take dehydrated food. I have shared with some folks who make their own meals and dehydrated them and it was amazingly delicious. I wonder if this idea would be realistic for longer cruises. It doesn't take much water to rehydrate them, but would it be too much?

If it would work it would be delicious meals that would last without much weight and no need to refridgerate. It could increase self sufficiency in theory.

Thoughts?
Hi yes Dehydrated foods will last you a very long time and do not need to be keep cool but they need a dry place.
To Dehydrat on bord a boat you need to ask:
1) Do I have 120vac power?
2) Do I want a small Dehydrater or a big one that will take more amps to run.?
3) If I have the Buget I can power my hole Electrical systeam with 3 just two for h-5000 at 144VDC to a Enverter of 120Vac 350amps. 1 to fill the tank. power the 1 with solar or win or both.
The Native USA Indians used to dry most of there foods.
Do not add salt or flavering because that will cause Health problems.
NativeUSAindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 21:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonytek View Post
3 cases of assorted Ramen Noodle packs...does that count as dehydrated food?
That depends who you are talking to. To me a Deydrated food is a Fruit,Meat not pork,some vegys.
Old 20-03-2011, 21:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
Growing up on the farm, we dehydrated fruit on the back inside deck, behind the back seat, of our car. Put the fruit on baking pans, (or an old piece of tin that was blown off the barn roof!), roll the windows up and park that car in the sun. Fruit dries without flies getting all over it, and the car smells really great! I guess you could then vacuum pack it to reduce volume and prolong storage time.
For me if I go to the tropics I will not store any thing in plastic bags. I thank I will use glass,clay, just make a nice pading for them to lay and unrap the jars and put just what you need in the kitchen.
Old 20-03-2011, 21:29   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We bought an assortment of dehydrated basics in #10 cans from a Mormon supplier. The Mormons are supposed to keep a years supply of food stored just in case so there are a lot places to get them.

I wouldn't want to eat the stuff exclusively but we found it great for adding to stews, Maranara sauces, etc. We liked the dehydrated cheese as an addiive to soups, onions, green peppers, garlic, etc. We got awfully tired of a desert mix that was supposedly apples processed into a tasteless but sweet powder. I'd check out what's available as the price was definitely attractlve. The place we went to let us sample what they had to offer. Took a bit of imagination to translate the dried stuff to what it was going to be like cooked with other ingredients.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 21:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by panglao dave View Post
I had some luck drying fruits on my cat in Florida....I found that you really need sun and breeze to really do the job .....that's dried salted cod worked so well in far northern climes
Yes very good or you can drop off on a island and make a trypod and sticks tide between them to put the fish on and make a small fire and just the heat warms the meat to be dryed. Out law for native of California.

Tags
food