Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 16:09   #16

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Re: disappointed of my new pressure cooker

Ok--you have to put some water in the cooker to produce the initial steam. As soon as the cooker reaches pressure, turn the heat to LOW to keep the pressure up. This will release only minimal amounts of steam.

When the cooking time is over, run the tap over the pressure cooker (or out it in the sink ans pour some water over it from a jug. This quickly reduces the pressure, release the valve in little bursts until no steam comes out--and them you can remove the lid.

Pressure cookers cut cooking time and use less fuel--but otherwise they are just like using any other cooking pot. Never use them dry on the heat though--that will get messy when the safety plug melts.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 16:41   #17

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
I don't like cooking and have never used pressure cooker in my life before.
Having read the threads about the pressure cooker meal on boat in this forum, I finally got my new pressure cooker.

I thought I only needed to put all ingredient in the pressure cooker and placed it on the heat for a few minutes until the stream started to escape from the valve. Then I could remove it from the heat and let the food continue being cooked. In fact, it is my illusion.

After reading the instructions of pc, I am disappointed of it and it is not what I expect. I have to place it on the heat for the whole cooking time, even though it is only 10-15 minutes. It is a kind of speeding up the cooking process. Watching some pc cooking videos, I dislike seeing so much steam coming out from the valve. Some chief even make so much smoke while frying the ingredient in the pc. It is not good for me , as I don't want to have so much smoke and steam on the boat. It will be smelly in the saloon.

My main reason of getting a pc is for the galley ventilation on the boat. If I still want to use it, I may have to put the pc in the cockpit before releasing the steam.

How can you guys deal with it? Sorry that I am not a cooking person and have very low tolerant of smoke and steam on a small boat.
I didn't read all the other responses so sorry if I'm repeating. When the pressure builds up, it sets the knob on top to rocking, as soon as it starts to rock turn the heat down so you get a steady, gentle rock. When time is up, take it off the stove and let cool before removing the lid. Or run it under cold water then release the lid. When you lower the heat to get that gentle rocking motion you shouldn't be getting a lot of steam. I cook a LOT and I felt the same way you do. So now I just use it here and there. I may sell it. What I do love is my slow cooker. Try to return yours and get a slow cooker. I think for someone who doesn't cook much, this is something you would love. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2017, 17:06   #18

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

It needs a bit of learning to use a pressure cooker.

1st) put enough but not to much water in bottom of the cooker for learning that consult the manual
2nd) heat up but only until the right mark pops up. Again consult the munual. Heating up until vapor leaves the cooker is wasting energy.
3rd) reduce heat, but not too much. With my cooker it worked best when putting it for reduced heat on smallest burner on my oven.

You can also cook without using enery after the cooker is heated up to right level with putting it in an isolated container. After about the same cooking time the food is ready. Try and find out. That system we used during world war II when energy was rare.

I have to mention that I used my pressure cookers during my voyages on my catamaran and also during two circunavigations. I would not leave the shore for a crossing w/o having a pressure cooker aboard.

Here a link to the manuals of my pressure cooker as I think that all work in more or less the same manner.
www.hippressurecooking.com/kuhn-rikon-pressure-cooker-manual/
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 17:16   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

Like many unfamiliar items, it really helps to read the manual. Pressure cookers are great, and most even come with recipe's, although usually not all that great.

Great example of smells: Cook a fish stew in an open pot. Unless you're addicted to fish stench, you'll be happy to switch to a pressure cooker. Just keep the heat as low as possible while still allowing a bit of steam to escape occasionally.

I've just switched to the electric model. Cooler in the galley, and no open flame. A bit different to get used to, but I'm beginning to like it.
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 12:28   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I agree with many, but not all, of the responses. I may be a bit biased (OK a lot biased) but the fact that I have three pressure cookers is only circumstantial evidence [emoji849]

A major disagreement is that PC = slow cooker. We have found that meats in the slow cooker are dry and tough. The same cuts in the PC are moist and very tender. Try cooking a pot roast in both and see which you prefer.

Also consider that without the valve a PC is a saucepan with a locking lid. If an unfortunate wave or wake knocks the PC off the stove, you will not be finding pasta sauce for the next month.

We find the slow cooker excellent for soups, chili and some stews but you will need power for 4-8 hours. Fine at dock but less so when traveling. The slow cooker is a unitasker but the without the lid the PC gives you another saucepan. Why take up storage space for a one trick pony?

I usually do the cooking but after doing the comparisons between the two methods my wife is a convert and has thrown together some really great PC dishes.

Good luck and bon appetite
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 12:34   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I done bought this...

7 in 1... Pressure cooker, slow cooker, yoghurt maker... not failed at anything yet..A convert.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 13:21   #22

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Are you closing the steam release valve on top of the lid when cooking.. the only time steam should escape is when you flick it up to depressurise.
Uh not in my experience. If you close it entirely you could blow yourself up, lol.

There should be a low, steady amount of steam coming out; turn the heat down until it is just a trickle. If no steam is coming out, the cooker is not properly pressurized and stuff will take longer to cook.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 13:32   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: disappointed of my new pressure cooker

Dunno what your cooker is.. but my cooker has a flick down pressure release valve.. leave up it just steams the moisture away.. flick down and when pressure reaches a certain point it self vents to ease the pressure.. you sure your using a pressure cooker..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	141476  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 13:33   #24

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Uh not in my experience. If you close it entirely you could blow yourself up, lol.

There should be a low, steady amount of steam coming out; turn the heat down until it is just a trickle. If no steam is coming out, the cooker is not properly pressurized and stuff will take longer to cook.
True but...

Some pressure cookers are really efficient and the steam released is very small and may not be noticable. Mine is like that. In fact, I can't tell a thing unless the room is cool.

Earlier I think I miss identified my cooker. It is a Fagor duo.
Old 17-02-2017, 14:09   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I done bought this...

7 in 1... Pressure cooker, slow cooker, yoghurt maker... not failed at anything yet..A convert.

Dang!!! That thing is HUGE! I only have a 38 ft boat and I can't even imagine where I would keep it. At that size it should double as an on board clothes washer
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 15:14   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Dang!!! That thing is HUGE! I only have a 38 ft boat and I can't even imagine where I would keep it. At that size it should double as an on board clothes washer
Funny you should say that...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 15:17   #27

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dunno what your cooker is.. but my cooker has a flick down pressure release valve.. leave up it just steams the moisture away.. flick down and when pressure reaches a certain point it self vents to ease the pressure.. you sure your using a pressure cooker..
You originally said "the only time steam should escape is when you flick it up to depressurise."

Thanks for correcting yourself. "Self venting" is steam escaping.

This is my pressure cooker. I'm pretty sure it's a pressure cooker.

Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 15:32   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: disappointed of my new pressure cooker

The comment was about a referral to a constant escape of steam.. mine does not.. it comes.. it goes.. only time its constant is when I flick up to depressurise..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 15:44   #29

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Hey now you might be onto something! The only question is weather the pressure will release crud or pressurize it in! I might try some of Jims work jeans....but of course I will tell him "it's soup"!
Old 18-02-2017, 08:03   #30

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
We wouldn't leave the dock without our InstantPot, and we're a 36'er. It could be the picture is a little deceptive. It's not all that hard to stow.

We've found that for most things, we only have to run the generator or inverter for 10 minutes or so, until the InstantPot reaches pressure, then let it cook while it naturally releases (cools down.) It's insulated, so I guess that's sort of what others are doing with the cook-in-a-bag method. Even so, this is much, much quicker because you start with high pressure and temperature. Plus everything comes out moist and tender.

These things are developing a cult following, with virtually no advertising. I can see why.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote