Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2015, 05:43   #91

Boat: CAL 35 III
Send a message via Skype™ to ejjawhite
Re: Do You Drink Tank Water !?

My boat came equipped with a Seagull IV water filtration system. It produces spring water quality drinking water. The filters are not cheap, but they filter out bacteria,protozoa, and even viruses that can all cause health problems. I run my tank water thru the filter and carry only a couple gallons of bottled water should my electrical systems fail. The Seagull taps off of my main water line, which we use for washing, etc. I have aluminum water tanks on my boat, so I do not use chlorine, which would attack the metal.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ejjawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 07:44   #92

Filtered water is not noticeably safer or healthier. Most people filter their water because it makes the water taste better, and they think it removes the “bad stuff” from the water. In reality, unless you buy an expensive filtration system, your simple fridge or tap filter isn’t doing much. Most filters are just activated carbon and maybe an ion exchange resin (to reduce heavy metal ions in the water). The big sell is that they remove lead from your tap water. In the United States lead in drinking water is already limited to 15ppb. And in many places it is a lot less (i.e. undetectable). My point – the amount of lead in tap water is so low your filter isn’t doing "anything". I use 1 filter, after the water comes out of the tap, and it does the same job as some using 2,3 or even 4 filters. BUT filters MUST be changed after a couple months or your filter becomes a bacteria breeding ground.
dmaher2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 08:15   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Ejjawhite, if you ever want to clean your tank, a recent Practical Sailor article said Puriclean works well and is safe for use in aluminum tanks. If your tank is clean, your expensive filter elements should last longer.
Puriclean - MFG#UPCSTD - 14 oz. Tub
Old 30-11-2015, 21:55   #94

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
What do you freeze the water in, as a container, I mean? Do you use plastic jugs? My wife and I have been discussing freezing several gallons to help the freezer stay cold. She's paranoid about something in the plastic leaching into the water.
We have a friend that take leftover water bottles and fills them back up with water and sticks them into the deep freezer. When its time for sundowners she takes them out and cuts them in thick slices. You get ice cubes that last multiple drinks and you cut up your trash at the same time!

Yes, we drink our fiberglass tank water. Right now we filter it through an RV filter and then always treat with a large dose of bleach. We filter through a charcoal filter that gets replaced every 30 days. At least, this is the latest method. So far we have not grown any additional limbs.

We are discovering that the trick is to keep using the water outof our 40 gallon tank so when we get our watermaker we will decommission the 100 gallon tank and put in a smaller, lighter plastic one to make room for storage.

We are replacing all our old hose with PEX.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 23:36   #95
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

At the Subic Marina I buy filtered/ionized water in 30 liter dispenser for drinking and use marina water only for washing.

Before we leave for long term cruising we open and clean 2000 liter tank and go to anchor to start water maker and fill/ flush system.
Then after that, only R/O water goes in tank until we finish cruising, so we can enjoy safe tap water.

I am lucky. We can climb inside tank and clean/inspect thoroughly.

Here is someone inside and recent photo after painting with potable paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448955300999.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	114127   Click image for larger version

Name:	1448955342369.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	114128  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1448955374830.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	114129  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 00:30   #96

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Yes, we drink water from our fibreglass tanks. We have no watermaker. We catch rainwater, and by filtered water when we need to. We use a 0.5 micron activated carbon filter, changed every 6 months or so, and the bleach treatment, with a shock dose every now and then. It has never been an issue, even in 3rd world countries.

Tags
water