Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2016, 07:59   #16

Re: Do you take the labels off your cans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmbnsf View Post
What about the idea of keeping possible bugs out of the boat that may lay eggs between the label and can?

My thought would be it may depend on the area if the world your provisioning from. I'd also be a bit worried about dried goods like rice/wheat.
Its not uncommon to get weevils in some dry goods, throw them in a microwave and that will kill them and you can sift them out or just accept that your getting some free protein
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 08:05   #17

Boat: Boatless

They sink and become mini reefs that wee little baby fish appreciate. Collateral benefit :-)

(Deep water only)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 08:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
They sink and become mini reefs that wee little baby fish appreciate. Collateral benefit :-)

(Deep water only)
That worked great with the old cans but plastic lined ones not so much but I heard a rumor that they were trying to no longer use plastic
Old 15-04-2016, 08:09   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
No. It's not needed.
Oh, and the old idea of painting eggs with wax etc is a load of old cobblers unless you are doing over 30 day passages. Mine are fine for a month in the tropics unreferigerated.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.
Mark, that was interesting on the longevity of eggs.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 08:16   #20

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

We use to go to great lengths removing the paper labels, labeling with a sharpie and even varnishing the cans. Now we place four cans each into Ziplock bags, suck out the air and seal. This keeps the tins dry, keeps them from rolling around and keeps any potential cockroaches or other bugs contained. The bags are usually reusable and the tins emerge as good as they went in months earlier.

With the eggs we submerge them in boiling water for five seconds or so to cook-seal the inner surface and flip the containers of eggs every few days to keep the yolks from settling which is the beginning of the end for eggs. These always last a month at least even in the tropics without refrigeration.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 08:37   #21

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Avoid cardboard containers from third world countries, thats where you can get bugs. Also be very careful of fresh fruits and vegetables in 3rd world countries, rinse them carefully to remove critters. The key to making eggs last is if possible buy them before they have been cleaned as the chicken naturally has a protective coating that air doesnt penetrate. You can only get these direct from farmers. The most important thing is make sure they are dry and turn the egg crates once every couple of days. The other little trick is to have a glass of water when you are baking or cooking and set the egg in the water, if it sinks the egg is good, if it floats, throw it out.
Just another thought when it comes to fresh food, perticularly fruits and vegetables. If you going to clear into the U.S. you may as well throw them away and save the grief. They will not let them in!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 08:48   #22

When I went on my first long term cruise 40 years ago, I had of course read all the Blue Water cruising books. I did a lot of things that looking back made no sense at all. One of them was varnishing all the canned goods on the boat! Stupid

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 08:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
When I went on my first long term cruise 40 years ago, I had of course read all the Blue Water cruising books. I did a lot of things that looking back made no sense at all. One of them was varnishing all the canned goods on the boat! Stupid
That's funny but you are dating yourself. Many of those old woody's would leak like sieves so almost everything needed protection. Sure glad those days are over.
Old 15-04-2016, 09:24   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35

It's not necessary in first world countries.
But if you are stocking up in foreign countries you should remove the labels BEFORE you bring them on board to reduce insects. Taking the labels off on board the boat is pointless, well maybe not pointless, at least you'll see what insects you just let loose on your boat.
Same for cardboard boxes, don't even bring it on board.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 09:35   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Mark, that was interesting on the longevity of eggs.
The longevity of eggs depends greatly upon where you buy them. Washed eggs, like you get in Canada & US must be refrigerated or they will spoil.

Unwashed eggs like you'd get in most second & third world areas need not be refrigerated and will last longest.

I have heard that in Europe they are unwashed as well, but you'd have to find out for yourself.

Eggs have a natural coating on them that seals and protects them. This is washed off in North America so that the eggs appear clean. Even eggs with chicken droppings on them are cleaner (inside) than washed eggs. If you have an old egg that is dirty on the outside, a bit of sandpaper will take it off, then wipe with a damp cloth. But only clean it when you are about to use it. For storage, just leave them dirty... au naturel.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 11:12   #26

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk Barnett View Post
How does one dispose of empty cans these days? It sounds that heaving them overboard is no longer feasible.
I have not cruised very far, but I would think if they were stored before use they can be washed out and stored after. Possibly even crushed to save more space.

Although it would be ironic to do so only to find the country you land at disposes of its trash at sea after all...
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 11:40   #27

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
I have not cruised very far, but I would think if they were stored before use they can be washed out and stored after. Possibly even crushed to save more space.

Although it would be ironic to do so only to find the country you land at disposes of its trash at sea after all...
I certainly doubt that any civilized country would condone dumping trash or garbage in the ocean. It is clearly against international law governing vessels at sea. While I understand people dropping completely edible waste when beyond a countries legal coastal limit, I do not understand ever dumping trash. The ocean is not a trash can!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 11:42   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The key to making eggs last is if possible buy them before they have been cleaned as the chicken naturally has a protective coating that air doesnt penetrate. You can only get these direct from farmers. The most important thing is make sure they are dry and turn the egg crates once every couple of days. The other little trick is to have a glass of water when you are baking or cooking and set the egg in the water, if it sinks the egg is good, if it floats, throw it out.
Absolutely. Try to buy eggs that have not been regrigerated or cleaned. If you come to Europe you'll find that much easier than in the US as EU guidelines do not allow washed or refrigerated eggs to be sold to the public.
Old 15-04-2016, 11:48   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We have not removed the labels from our can goods, but we've been cruising for many years. Maybe an assortment of unlabeled cans would add a little excitement to the day and some new combinations for the palette.

Oh look, it's beets and lima beans with hot dogs tonight! I'm ready for this!
Old 15-04-2016, 12:02   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We have not removed the labels from our can goods, but we've been cruising for many years. Maybe an assortment of unlabeled cans would add a little excitement to the day and some new combinations for the palette.

Oh look, it's beets and lima beans with hot dogs tonight! I'm ready for this!
Thanks for the chuckle.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote