Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2018, 16:27   #31

Boat: Montgomery 23
Re: Does no one use shoulder yokes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I've done a couple 5 gal fuel jugs and even a couple blocks will kill your shoulders (I'm a big guy too). She must have been a body builder or something. No way I could do 3-4 blocks with 10gal jugs.

Our solution was a folding canvas wagon. We could actually do 3 - 5gal jugs or it's nice for grocery shopping and other situations where you need to cover up to about a 1/2 mile as long as the surface isn't really uneven.
Another solution could be a taxi...
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 18:26   #32

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yep, but not so many of our collective boats can reasonably store such a cart on board... the folding dolly is harder to use but much easier to live with.

Jim
It does fold to a degree but you still have a base with wheels but such fine wheels they be.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 18:29   #33

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That and getting it to shore in the dinghy, and what it weighs.
I have seen a couple of plastic folding ones that were interesting, but I think for now we will stick with the bikes.

This one for instance
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Collap...=Folding+wagon
But will it carry the load of fuel or water that the op spoke of?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 19:47   #34

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

How about this?

Hippo water roller

Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 20:05   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

That water hippo is a really clever solution to the problem of moving water by hand.
Old 28-11-2018, 21:55   #36
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

The Plains Indians (Native Americans) used an arrangement of two poles called a travois to carry loads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travois

I grew up in Nebraska, and saw many drawings of them in use. I suppose they were limited to level ground (which is about all we had in Nebraska). I also remember seeing depictions of native women carrying supplies and even sick or injured adults using parallel poles, kept parallel by short separator poles, in the same manner: dragging them behind. The pole ends at the carrying end had a line that went around the back of the base of the carryer's neck, and the carryer held the poles and pulled. Most of the weight would be transferred to the aft end of the poles and to the base of the neck at the fore end of the poles.

It seemed to work for them. They moved around a lot.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 22:22   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yep, but not so many of our collective boats can reasonably store such a cart on board... the folding dolly is harder to use but much easier to live with.

Jim
Try this many variations including large wheels for sand. Ours folds by simply lifting a knob in the center (literally a second to fold and unfold). It's about 4" thick by 2'x2' when folded, so easy to store.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...yfp-t-USDOTCOM
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 06:39   #38

Unfortunately the square wheel with it's many advantages has been largely supplanted by the round wheel. Square wheels store better. They don't roll quite as easily though...

owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 06:59   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hahaha. shoulder yokes with injured neck or back.. i think not...
i use local talent and deliveries rock.
i have wheels and rowboat with good capacity. never had to haul water in such quantities over land to boat. ditto fuel.
opm....other peoples muscles.
works for me.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 08:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hahaha. shoulder yokes with injured neck or back.. i think not...
i use local talent and deliveries rock.
i have wheels and rowboat with good capacity. never had to haul water in such quantities over land to boat. ditto fuel.
opm....other peoples muscles.
works for me.

Anybody who travels the world in a boat these days would do well to have a water maker. Quality and availability are problems in many places. Many of the atoll island groups have a huge problem due to sea level rise, and Cape Town for example has a major water crisis, as I'm sure is the case in other places due to that "imaginary" climate change issue.

H.W.
Old 29-11-2018, 10:45   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

who said imaginary--is a matter of not being able to throw money at it to fix it. planet changes toobad if in the way. move or die. oopsy politics. hahahahaha
iff going to remote islands must possess independence of a watermaker. if not-- locals haul well and are paid to do so. and are happy to do the hauling. oh yeah mebbe because i am female hahahahaha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 11:40   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
who said imaginary--is a matter of not being able to throw money at it to fix it. planet changes toobad if in the way. move or die. oopsy politics. hahahahaha
iff going to remote islands must possess independence of a watermaker. if not-- locals haul well and are paid to do so. and are happy to do the hauling. oh yeah mebbe because i am female hahahahaha

Water in island groups that consist of atolls comes from two sources mainly. Rainwater collected in cisterns, tanks, etc, and from the water lens beneath the island. A water lens is an underground body of fresh water which seeps down through the surface material of the island, and because of the immobility, it sits on top of the heavier salt water permeating the ground beneath it. Called a lens because of it's shape. The problem is that with the rising sea level, and increased severity of storms, salt water is infiltrating these natural reservoirs, and they are gradually becoming saline.
While islanders are naturally generous and friendly people, should be take advantage of this increasingly endangered resource? It's probably a drop in the bucket, and may not make any difference at all, but I for one would rather not be part of the problem.

Watermakers are essentially very simple machines and can be built for a small fraction of what cruisers usually pay for them. I wouldn't think of setting out on a world cruise without having one.

Global warming / climate change is not politics..... it's a reality we and our children and grandchildren are facing. The jury is NOT out on it, and hasn't been for many years. Denialists are no different than holocaust deniers, except that one is denying what is coming, and the other what already happened. It is a matter of survival for our species and other species on the planet. It's not a matter of "opinion" any more than is the fact that the earth is more or less round, or that the earth rotates around the sun instead of the reverse.

H.W.
Old 30-11-2018, 00:29   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Cape Town for example has a major water crisis, as I'm sure is the case in other places due to that "imaginary" climate change issue.
There is no danger of running out of water in Cape Town. You might have to pay $0.25/gal but they aren't running.

You can get water in any populated area. You may want a watermaker due to taste or quality issues but not because it's the only way to get safe water.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 03:21   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

After lugging heavy jerry cans for years, I began working on a carbon fiber yoke. A few tries revealed that it needs to be very ergonomic--padded for neck and shoulders, not easily slip-able, and the load needs to sit on the fore-and-aft at just the right spot--neither pulling you forward or bending you back. Furthermore, it need only be wide enough to keep the load from bashing into your knees. An adjustable lanyard can ensure that the jug handles can still be kept in the hands, so they don't swing around.
I'm still a little way off from something work-able, and have been distracted by other things lately, but it's good to see that others have at least thought of it.

As far as wheels go, or carts: there have been more times than not that a cart wouldn't have helped at all. A quarter mile down a beach, rough terrain--and I have no room for cart storage anyway. Likewise a bicycle. And even for a really short distance a yoke would be great. I can carry a five-gal jug exactly six inches before I'm tired of it.
If I ever get my butt in gear and build a working yoke, I'll try to remember to post some photos.
Old 30-11-2018, 06:57   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
There is no danger of running out of water in Cape Town. You might have to pay $0.25/gal but they aren't running.

You can get water in any populated area. You may want a watermaker due to taste or quality issues but not because it's the only way to get safe water.

Capetown was counting down to "day zero" very recently.... zero meaning no water... They have gotten some relief, but it's still a serious threat in the coming year. At one point people were limited to 50L per day (13 gallons) per household. Arriving at the height of a water crisis can or should one expect to place even the added burden of a yacht on the system?

I would take issue with the comment that it may not be the only way to get safe water. If you only sail to mainstream locations, that is arguably true.... assuming you trust bottled water..... I don't..... Just being in a bottle does not make water safe and wholesome, as they are finding out in Pakistan right now. Municipal water may be far below the standards we expect here also. Bangladesh for example has a huge problem with arsenic, though who's be going there?

I tend to take water for granted until I travel around the country.... My own water is an unlimited supply of incredibly pure well water from the nearby mountains filtered through the local gravel beds of long ago glaciers and rivers. It doesn't even lime up a coffee pot, and has wonderful refreshingly pure flavor....just the right balance of minerals. When I travel, I'm appalled by the quality of local municipal water in many places.
Long distance sailing I consider a watermaker mandatory... at least for me.

H.W.