Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2018, 20:35   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Does no one use shoulder yokes?

I was watching a youtube video in which a not-very-large young woman was toting two full 10-gallon water cans back to the boat, staggering along, one in each hand.

My initial thought was why didn't she rig up an impromptu shoulder yoke?

Then I went googling around and found almost no reference to them.

Have people forgotten them?

They were the standard way of carrying water for thousands of years.

https://youtu.be/zDjj5h9oJ0Y
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 21:42   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Does no one use shoulder yokes?

Wow... she must be a bloody strong not very big lady... that's around 170 lbs she's lugging at arms length. Or were you exaggerating a bit?

Jim
Old 27-11-2018, 22:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Wow... she must be a bloody strong not very big lady... that's around 170 lbs she's lugging at arms length. Or were you exaggerating a bit?

Jim
It's not like I could ask her, and I claim no great expertise in jerry can sizes, but they looked considerably larger than the five gallon cans I'm most familiar with.

But even with five gallon cans, I can't see anyone carrying them blocks if they have any kind of alternative, and anyone with a stick and some rope has an alternative.
Old 27-11-2018, 22:10   #4

I've done a couple 5 gal fuel jugs and even a couple blocks will kill your shoulders (I'm a big guy too). She must have been a body builder or something. No way I could do 3-4 blocks with 10gal jugs.

Our solution was a folding canvas wagon. We could actually do 3 - 5gal jugs or it's nice for grocery shopping and other situations where you need to cover up to about a 1/2 mile as long as the surface isn't really uneven.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 23:56   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, five gallon jugs have caused more back issues for cruisers of our acquaintance than any other single item or activity. They can be lethal to carry, hoist or swing into a dink. Evil things IMO!

Jim
Old 28-11-2018, 00:23   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I use 20 litre bidones for diesel... however they are never carried anywhere.... unless on wheels .... and a straight lift - using a whip - in or out of a dinghy or from wharf to deck is quite different to lumping the evil things around...

Water is always in 5 or 6 litre jugs......
Old 28-11-2018, 04:49   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

I second the idea of the collapsable canvas wagon, mine is about 4 years old now and has seen better days, but it still can take quite a load, folds up nicely and doesn't take up that much space, can be difficult in the sand though.. never thought about using a shoulder yoke,
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 05:07   #8

Truthfully, I'd use a wheeled cart, of the terrain suited. But there are places where wheels aren't an option.
Old 28-11-2018, 07:10   #9

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

You can’t just use a stick as a yoke or you will kill your shoulders. If you look at a real yoke you’ll see it is shaped to fit and distribute the load.
Old 28-11-2018, 07:50   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

A few years ago some bright fella invented the wheel. We use a cart.
Old 28-11-2018, 07:51   #11

Shoulder yokes are available commercially from Lehmans, but they are solid wood and would require some padding to be tolerable. The spinal compression of carrying a load this way is not good for your body...... but of course the same is true or worse carrying two five gallon jugs in your hands.
As a backpacker, I can say that carrying a heavy pack from the shoulder straps is not good for your body either, and we long ago learned that a good hip strap should transfer the load to your hips, bypassing the spine completely, and using the shoulder straps only to balance the load.
It would be worth doing a bit of "development" in this area if you routinely carry cans of water or gas or diesel, and can't for some reason use a wheeled cart. I personally would start with a good quality frame pack with an excellent padded hip strap. Kelty is my personal preference with their welded aluminum frame. 'The pack frame could support the yoke, transferring the load to where your body can handle it. My big concern would however be designing the rig so I could get away from it quickly if for example I fell off a dock. A "ripcord" if you will........... If shoulder straps were not used... which would be better, and you simply hand held whatever suspended the load as with an ordinary yoke, the safety could be a simple break away... if the frame tipped away from your body so many degrees, the strap would release, like a break away stirrup on a saddle...... a real life saver by the way...

Just an off topic aside about break away stirrups:

I'm one of the very few people who have survived being dragged behind a horse, without anybody around to help. Thanks to snow, and being very fit, I managed to release myself by main force, actually climbing my leg (insulated coveralls), hand over hand until I could grab the stirrup strap, at which point I was completely off the ground under the horse, and hanging by one hand from the strap, flipped it off my lug sole boot. All while the horse was running, and I was being dragged through sagebrush, and bounced off rocks, etc. I was as good as dead, and I knew it! The strength of adrenalin and the knowledge that I was going to die if I didn't succeed, and my powerful survival instinct saved me. I've never heard of anybody else surviving this experience except in cowboy boots by turning over. I spent enough time afoot that I had to wear lug boots in those conditions.

As a result, I'm an huge advocate of break aways. Not just stirrups, but anything where you are in danger of getting hung up.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:07   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Every cruiser needs a folding rolly cart
Old 28-11-2018, 08:14   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I do like many do in East Asia, let the bike carry the load.
Storage wise it’s either bikes or a cart, I went with bikes.
Although I don’t carry water, and haven’t had to carry fuel very far either yet.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:50   #14

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
I don't know. Mad Max in the Road Warrior carried four Jerry cans full of diesel out of the compound, snuck through the enemy camp, and then carried them across a desert to retrieve a tractor trailer!

But then again it was Mad Max!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I do like many do in East Asia, let the bike carry the load.
Storage wise it’s either bikes or a cart, I went with bikes.
Although I don’t carry water, and haven’t had to carry fuel very far either yet.

I consider a bike a non-negotiable necessity.... It only makes sense to saddle two containers across and push the bike...........
owly is offline   Reply With Quote