Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2006, 07:37   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33T La Vita
Dripin' & Manual

Hi Folks,
We love a good cup of coffee that is drip brewed (not peculated). Because of lack of space and to conserve electricity, a manual stainless steel (or glass lined thermos) carafe is what I'm seeking.

The ideal solution for me is a carafe or thermos with a wide mouth that fits a drip coffee filter holder.

Melitta used to make a plastic glass-lined carafe, but their current model is all glass. Here is a link to what would work, if it wasn't glass.

http://www.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+0616&Cat=

I've Google searched until I'm blue in the face. If anyone has a solution or tell me where I can buy such a carafe, I'm be eternally grateful.

s/v La Vita
1987 Hans Christian 33t
:cubalibre
Spread a little sunshine--Jack Lemmon
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2006, 07:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Hi Lynn - I have a drip coffee maker that goes into a carafe - it MAY be internally glass lined, but I've had it out in some VERY rough weather and had no problems. The brand name is Gevalia (they make coffee too).

The nice thing about the carafe idea, is that once the coffee is made, it stays warm without a heating element/plate.

Good luck.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2006, 08:13   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
At Target we found a plastic measuring cup with a soft base that wedges into the top outer rim of a carafe we bought at Bed Bath & Beyond. Drilled a small hole in the bottom of the cup, insert filter, add coffee, and pour hot water from tea pot. Walla, drip coffee.

We looked long and hard for the Malita system with no luck. Of course we were cruising at the time and couldn’t shop the web.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2006, 08:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Wow - almost sorry that I suggested Gevalia! Just found what you may be looking for and it is expensive!

http://www.gevalia.com/Gevalia/catal...836&catid=8567

a little less expensive:

http://www.bizrate.com/coffeemakers/...formation.html

Ah HAH!!! I think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.gevalia.com/Gevalia/catal...product_id=764
Old 26-08-2006, 10:47   #5

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Why not get a French Press coffee maker, they can be had on the cheap, are easy to use, no filters required. For me, the French Press coffee took some getting used to, it has a different consistency - actually thicker to use a strange phrase to describe coffee. However, after drinking it for a while, I prefer French Press Coffee.

Here's a link to illustrate what I am talking about in case you aren't sure.

http://www.1stincoffee.com/bodum.asp

You can get cheaper ones than Bodum, if you look around.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2006, 11:11   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi folks,
We usually make espresso, but when we want to load up a pump carafe for a passage, we use a drip system. We have a drip funnel with a gold permanent filter element that replaces the paper filters. That way there is no paper to soak up the yummy coffee oils. We put the neck of the filter into the carafe (after swishing boiling water around in it), put the carafe in the sink for stability and pour water onto the coffee. It stays hot for a long time. I don't remember where we got the gold mesh filter, but we have had it for a long time. Bought it in a store some time before Al Gore invented the internet. Still, I imagine Google could find one.
Regards,
Richard Black
Quijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2006, 12:43   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
http://www.sailorssolutions.com/inde...ails&Item=FP06

The is an insulated coffee press that works really well. It's short enough that it's not a threat to tumble over at the slightest excuse, keeps coffee hot for hours, makes enough coffee for a single for most of the day, and is a one step process. A Melitta #4 filter funnel sits nicely in the unit with the top off if you'd rather use that type of filter system occasionally. I grind enough coffee to fill the thing up in the morning and have hot coffee all day long. It will fill at least two large fat bottomed mugs. Nice thing about it is you just pour in coffee and the water and your done. With two piece systems, you are at constant risk of the coffee launching until the water has dripped through. Not the case with this. From what I understand, this press has been discontinued so don't hesitate as it will be history when their stock is out.

We used to make coffee using a Thermos, now Zojirushi, bottle and a modified #6 Melitta filter. Worked okay when at anchor in calm waters but not at sea without holding it through the drip process.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2006, 13:26   #8

Reading Carefully

Here are some things Lynn is not asking about:
  • French presses
  • Electric drip coffeemakers
  • Rube Goldberg home-made gizmos

Lynn, I'm using the same Melita #6 carafe & cone. I just broke my glass-lined thermos, and now need to replace it, and want the cone to sit the mouth, so we're rather in the same spot.

I'm taking the cone element with me to the store. The thermos just needs a wide enough mouth to accomodate the cone the same way the carafe does. Shouldn't need to open too many boxes @ Target to find one if you have your cone in your hand.

Good Luck,
Jeff
Old 26-08-2006, 20:18   #9

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Lynn,

I think I've seen something like what you describe at Starbucks, but that could have been some time ago and they don't tend to carry particular products for very long. You could try camping or rv stores like Campingworld. Or check out Alfi http://accessories.alficarafes.com/A...e_Filters.html

Enjoy.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 06:57   #10

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
About 2 years ago we bought a 1.5 liter stainless steel insulated french press from an online company (Zaggaro's, or something like that). We use it every day, and we love it. It keeps the coffee hot for as long as it takes us to finish the pot, and the coffee is excellent. The downside? It uses coarse grind coffee which you cannot get at most grocery stores outside the U.S. So we buy beans and grind our coffee fresh every morning. It's a bit more work, but we thing it's worth it.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 08:14   #11

Thank you all for your suggestions and links. They are indeed helpful!

rsn48, Peter O, Harriet: I did try the French Press, there was much stuff in the coffee. I did work on getting the coffee grounds course enough. I'm probably simply not used to coffee brewed this way. I agree, with a two piece systems, while we are at sea, we are at constant risk of launching the coffee, grounds, and cones. That's why I'm seeking a squat carafe.

George: I never thought to look for a plastic measuring cup with a soft base that wedges into the top outer rim of a carafe. I'm gonna keep that solution in mind. Very creative!

Thomas: Thank you for the Gevalia links. Certainly, the last link displayed good prices. Not sure which cone and filter will fit. Before I posted this topic, I spend a lot of time trying to find a match. I suspect these carafes are designed to hold after the coffee is brewed. I'm OK with a glass lined-carafe, but I want the outside to be either metal or plastic. I'm seeking a cone that will fit a carafe. The Alfi system suggested by Kevin has the most promise.

Richard Black: The drip funnel with a gold permanent filter idea has a lot of merit. I'm wondering if the cone sitting on the thermos would be kinda tippy at sea, even if sitting in the sink. Our thermos is fairly tall and narrow.

Jeff: I searched and searched for the solution you are seeking. If you are successful, please let me know. So far, the best solution seems to be found on-line. I checked Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Linens & Things, Starbucks, department stores. Because of the amps draw (we're starting our cruise soon), I'm going with manual method. I did buy and return a French press. The coffee consistancy was too thick for my taste.

Today, I have a Rube Goldberg home-made gizmo. I have a stainless steel perculator (purchased at Walmart) that I converted to a drip system. I put coffee in the basket, boil water in a tea kettle, and pour (very slowly) through the top metal plate (it has holes in it). My home-made system is slow & requires patience. Coffee is good, though.

Kevin: I'm kinda keen on the Alfi Thermal Carafes solution. I like the convenience of a gold filter, but I think paper offers coffee the consistancy I've learned to enjoy. I'm considering the Avanti and Trax Carafe.

http://accessories.alficarafes.com/A...e_Filters.html

Alfi Aroma Coffee Filter 3 Parts, with Adapter and Dripping Plate
Black $25

Alfi Thermal Carafes
Various colors $20 to $30
largest 33 oz (4 x 8 oz = 32 oz)

Thanks again for taking the time to find links, pass along your solutions, and offer words of caution.

I will be away from the computer for the rest of the day. We are cleaning out our storage unit. Oh the joy of it all!

s/v La Vita
1987 Hans Christian 33t
Old 27-08-2006, 14:18   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Galaxy-
Check out campmor.com and look at the Nissan "thermos" bottles. They make stainless steel vacuum bottles of all kinds, and I'm sure I've seen one with a funnel top that allows you to place the coffee filter basket right on the top, so you can fill it then take the basket off and put the real top on.
I seem to attract old thermoses and I'm reasonably sure the glass lined ones are still best at keeping things hot--but I've gone stainless since an "oops" with a cold thermos of good wine went tinkle tinkle on a hot day some years ago.
There's apparently some quality range in stainless, some make a "rattle" when you shake them, something about carbon in the space and apparently they create the vacuum by combusting something (don't ask, don't know, Chinese genius and product recalls) while Nissan seems to still be the top product these days, with ALL sorts of odd models if you hunt around for them.
While I like both gravity drip coffee and "plunger" coffee...I find that either one takes too long and lets the coffee cool too much, so the thermos isn't starting out really hot. Do remember to preheat the thermos with boiling water, and then use a drip that is fast enough to fill it while still HOT.<G>
I'd like one of those $20,000 B-1 bomber coffee pots that made such a scandal. I can appreciate nice HOT fresh coffee being securely confined in one stainless steel location.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 20:46   #13

Elusive: I accept the glass lined carafe, too. I'm seeking the right one for my needs.

Phil, rsn48, Harriet, Patrick, dwight: I tried the French Press and found too much extra grains and when I poured the coffee through a paper coffee filter, I saw lots of stuff I'd rather not drink. Maybe, I'm too fussy. Maybe, the french press i tried was poorly designed. I bought it at Linens & Things (Not Walmart prices). I'm still holding out for a drip filter solution. The French Press is popular with lots of folks.

hellosailor: Thanks for telling me about www.campmor.com I think this site offers some good solutions. I'll check out Nissan. Maybe, they have a cheap and decent way to make toast.

Patrick: I saw the cone filter on the http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.shtml. It just might be the easiest and cheapest solution.

Tim: I had to smile with I read your kids sock and coat hanger solution. Not a bad idea! I'll remember it if I can't find the solution I'm seeking. Very creative!

Stephen: color me stupid, but the thermos intended for use with soup did not fit a single cup filter holder. What I did see was too small to hold much coffee. I'll continue to look.

Lisa: I'm still at the dock and I simply want an excellent cup of coffee. And I want the solution to work when we are at sea. it seems like such a simple problem to solve!

Mike: I searched for Asian specialty markets selling Vietnamese cafe filter drip brewers without success. I must not have put in the correct search words. I'll continue to search. Sounds like an idea worth pursuing.

s/v La Vita
1987 Hans Christian 33t
Old 03-09-2006, 22:15   #14
Senior Cruiser

And then there is the 'hand-me-down' from my dad. It is a large container that has a recessed area for a cylinder type filter that leads to a corked exit funnel. The way it works is: you dump in one pound of ground coffee (takes up about half the area), fill with cold water and let set for at least two hours. Pull the cork and drain into a carafe - you now have an 'essence of coffee'. Keep refrigerated. When ready for coffee, 1/4 'eoc' add hot water or heat with water added. A very good cuppa coffee - not as harsh as hot brewed coffee. I haven't used this method in a while as it really isn't all that boater friendly when out. But, thought I would mention it.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:04   #15

Boat: Leopard 38
We use a camping plastic coffee filter funnel on top of a pump pot. It didn't fit exactly, so I cut a spacer ring out of an old plastic cutting board. We have a reuseable mesh filter, but it lets some crud through and takes water to rinse out. We like filters better. It wobbles a little, but not much of a problem on our catamaran. :>) Pump pot has metal outside and survived at least one serious bump. Keeps coffee hot for hours. Holds about 8 cups.

Jim
svChezFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote