Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2009, 10:55   #46

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I love my coffee and espresso, and I have this baby aboard and it sees use several times a day:

It does eat up a lot of energy, but is well worth it. The nice thing is that the pods are in nitrogen, so they will keep over year with no deterioration in taste!
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 11:31   #47
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I'm with you on that, Zanshin. I've not tried the Krups, but the Nespresso machine sold by Nestle works the same way, with sealed foil capsules. Makes the best espresso I've ever had!
Old 16-05-2009, 14:53   #48

Boat: Buizen 48
An observation

I'd like each poster to this thread to count the number of posts and then the number of individuals who answered BOTH of the original posters questions....

Perhaps someone could advise why it is sooooo very difficult for so many individuals to stay "on subject"???

That aside, I'm not biased to any particular blend though admittedly do not care for French Roast.

Like Hud I use the Miele filters when anchored, when the seas are not excessively bouncing my yacht around, and when there is only myself and when another person is on board. More crew, I whip out the Bodum french press. Am entertaining going to a Bodum Kenya because of its exterior construction (plastic).

However, would like to find the equivalent that uses plastic instead of glass to minimise the glass breakage risk.

Thus I was hoping to learn of some other poster's "makers".
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 17:37   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Heads up

The Zassenhaus hand operated knee grinders are apparently no longer being made. If you want one, better hit the net and find one. They are expensive but built to last. Ours is going on 35 years. Most importantly, they reliably deliver the coarse ground coffee, without powder, needed for a French Press Coffee Maker. Most cheap grinders deliver a lot of fine powder that turns the brew to mud.
Zassenhaus 156 Conical Burr Coffee Knee Mill - Manual Hand Grinder: * They are easy to use at sea. Just sit down on a lee berth and grind. You can use one hand to hang on if necessary.

Here is a link to a stainless steel, insulated French Press that seems like a decent one. Amazon.com: Thermos Nissan 34-Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless-Steel Gourmet Coffee Press: Kitchen & Dining There is also a German one that looks, well, typically German. You could use it as a hammer in an emergency. Frieling 6-cup Stainless Steel Insulated French Press Restaurant Quality

What I like about the French Press is they are relatively safe to use at sea. After the ground coffee is in the pot, just pour in the hot water, put the lid on and you have great coffee in 4 minutes. Limited exposure to wearing the contents of the hot water or coffee pot. We used a Melita Filter into a thermos on our last cruise and it was always scary making coffee if there was any sea running. Had to hold the Drip apparatus with one hand and pour water with the other. Fortunately, we could strap ourselves in so didn't have to have a hand to hang on with. Still, quite often spilled the coffee and/or water if it was at all rough which was more than half the time. Though nothing beats the ability of our Stainless Steel Thermos Brand Thermos to keep the coffee drinkable for up to 24 hours.

Have no use for relying on electrickery for my brew. Something that important shouldn't be left the vagaries of little electrons. One thing is certain about electricals, they are going to fail, it's just a matter of when.

Still drinking my Kona Coffee.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 18:27   #50

Boat: Voyage Norseman 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.waite View Post
Stove top expressos produce great coffee without filters, etc ...
Unbreakable, no filters, produce great coffee ...
These work for me ...

But what do folk find easiest to use at sea?
Most makers I have used are either fragile, unstable, etc.
I've been using this kind of coffee maker since I was stationed in Italy. We call it a Mocha. It works great. We use Cafe Bustela in it. Ours makes one large travel mug of very strong espress coffee. I drink one every morning, two and I can clean and wax the whole boat in an hour.

Let's Roll
This is the Great Adventure
toewsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 19:32   #51

Boat: Farrier f27
To Roverhi's post the Zassenhaus are great and are available through Sweetmarias.com still.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 13:27   #52

Boat: 1987 Watkins 25 Wu-Hsin
We use varying amounts of espresso and or ground coffee beans to taste in this stainless steel espresso maker. No filters just rinse and goagain. Takes 7 min on our Origo non pressurized alcohol stove and 6 min on our propane stove at home. Makes 2 mugs of 'American ' style coffee. Company and cust svc are A1!

Vev Vigano Kontessa Inox 12-cup Espresso Pot - Vev Vigano 8199 by VeV Vigano
Buy new: $109.95
2 Used & new from $86.00
In stock. Processing takes an additional 2 to 3 days.
(10)
cosmosmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 13:45   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
AeroPress (One source: Aeropress Coffee Maker - lots of others out there) is wonderful.

I graduated magna cum latte...

Steve

I have both the Aeropress and a Vev Vigano coffee maker. The Aeropress wins hands down. The only downside is that it needs filters, but they are really cheap.
Floppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 13:56   #54

Mr Espresso- Gold Medal Blend- Oak Roasted! Make in whatever you have. It's the best coffee I have ever had! 100% Kona is my 2nd choice, followed by Ja makin Blue!

www.mrespresso.com

David
KairosKona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 14:05   #55

Thumbs up

I have this past week "discovered" what I regard as the answer to my personal needs, which will replace my Melita drip funnels when making more than one or two cups. It is even better than the Bodum Kenyan I intended to purchase.

It's a Bodum Young Press, which has a:
  • Durable PP frame with clear durable plastic windows to protect the Bodum's pirex glass beaker
  • a "stay cool" sure grip santoprene handle and plunger knob
  • and sure grip drops on the botom to prevent it from slipping and sliding!
It's fantastic, and perfect for a boat!
Old 10-06-2009, 14:23   #56

Nice BlueSovereign! I looked it up online. For 20 bucks, it would be perfect for a boat!
KairosKona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 15:02   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by KairosKona View Post
Nice BlueSovereign! I looked it up online. For 20 bucks, it would be perfect for a boat!
Mate, in my case it's even nicer than that!

They retail down here for ~$NZ79 ($US48). The store had a 40% off sale, and I talked them into giving me another 10% off because the 3 remaining display shelf units lacked the original box they supposedly came in.

Thus I got it for ~$US24! I am a happy camper
Old 10-06-2009, 16:25   #58

Boat: Skookum 53'
"Where'd you find your favorite coffees and how do you make it? What do you think of those countries where Nescafe is the only choice in restaurants?"
So far my favorite is found in Alaska, by the name of Kaladdi Bros. their buyers go world wide and buy the green beans and ship them to Anchorage for roasting, the quality is very good. French roast is my favorite. I use an electric grinder and a Melita for that one cup at a time goodness, I also like to use the real heavy cream. Nescafe gak! The only way I can choke that down is making it really strong with condensed milk. If that is the only kind you can get, then it gives you a real appreciation of the good coffee.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 19:34   #59

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Absolute Favourite Coffee - Veracruz coffee from Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico.

Favourite Coffee you can actually find - Cafe du Monde from New Orleans (not to be confused with CDM which is a rip off).

Regular Coffee - Community Coffee - medium roast or chicory blend.

You can find community and Cafe du Monde in most nicer grocery stores and just about anywhere along the Gulf Coast. They run about $5-8 per pound, but you don't need much.

I grew up with that great Louisiana coffee and it's full rich taste. Folgers and Maxwell house and most of the other national brands come out of the same roasting plants in New Orleans, but the quality and flavour is so much less.

And starbucks...I think you can clean your shoes with it (not nice shoes).

I have to admit that after living in Germany for a few years I do now have the nasty habit of drinking mookyfook (German name for instant coffee). At the time it was a cheap alternative to the expensive German coffee which always tasted like brown battery acid. Now it's just not wanting to waste half a pot of 'good' coffee.

If anyone has 120v in their boat, the Hamilton Beach Brewstation ($30-60) has got to be the best coffee maker ever! Great tasting brew, keeps it warm for 2+ hours, and no caraffe to worry about breaking!

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 19:42   #60

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
If you can haul the filters The Cemex hour hand blown glass pot is maybe the best there is.
Paul's got this one right. I carry my chemex everywhere and for the original 60 bucks or so it's been a great solution. All you need is hot water. 5 years on I think I'm still on my first big box of filters, but then again I don't always have the time to play artisan in the morning.

But the Chemex's are pretty amazing. If you follow the exact instructions you end up with perfect coffee with no acidity or extra tannins, and you only need about a third the coffee you normally use in another pot.

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote