Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2009, 11:25   #91

One of the smaller things I love about the BVI is Cuban coffee, which is fabulous and cheap. Even there, however, it is not common. I can find just one place: the market at Trellis Bay, which for some reason always carries it.
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 11:41   #92

Boat: MJM 50 Z
A lot of posters complain about bitter coffee, like starbucks or charbucks. Thats just over roasted beans. I like a medium roast as fresh as possible.
On the boat we use a plastic french press (plastic? horrors!) maybe lexan, but it won't break and the cleanup is a simple swish over the side and the grounds are gone.
At home we use a Swiss super automatic. It grinds, packs and pumps high pressure water through the grounds, then cleans itself. one cup at a time. The coffee has a fantastic crema. Even black it tastes smooth and rich. If I had room on the boat.....except the cheapest one is about $1200.00 .
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 19:26   #93
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
We have the Contoure coffee maker like found in the WM catalog. It designed for RV's I think but works great on a boat. Our backup is an original Italian mocha express, what most here would call a perculator.

Here in Panama we buy Duran Duran coffee, $11 for 5 pounds and it's the same class as Colombian.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 11:39   #94
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
ahh.. when we lived in Panama the cerro azul was amazingly smooth...

currently I am cold brewing in a jar, filtering thru a cotton sock and then just adding hot water to a coupla tablespoons of the concentrate when Himself wants a cup. I am more a cocoa nd tea kinda girl myself.

The cold brew makes a low acid brew that doesn't upset his stomach and I can make enough for 3 or 4 days at a time.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 20:12   #95

Boat: Cal 29-2
Favourite Coffee? Prep Method

We've found the Areopress to make a great cup of coffee and is perfect to have on the boat. Much easier to use and clean then a French Press and I think makes a better cup of coffee.

Heres the link: Aerobie® AeroPress(TM) Coffee & Espresso Maker
weststar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 21:06   #96

Civet cat processed coffee beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
You lot have been led up the path by TV Chefs with bunged on French accents.... I have just my cup but it propels me to a billionaires reverie.....

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Nescafe! And a touch of powdered milk to set it off... Bliss
While in Indonesia, why not get a 100g of the civet cat processed coffee: any more and you need to be a trillionaire. ooOPpps ~ Covered 4 pages ago.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 21:12   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelbolts View Post
Getlost,
Do you grind you beans when underway? How? Is there such a thing as a 12VDC grinder?
There is a hand grinder that takes a standard winch handle. It is good exercise for all the various grinds we have to do while taking it easy.
Old 19-08-2009, 21:32   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
I'd like each poster to this thread to count the number of posts and then the number of individuals who answered BOTH of the original posters questions....

Perhaps someone could advise why it is sooooo very difficult for so many individuals to stay "on subject"???

Thus I was hoping to learn of some other poster's "makers".
When you go to the coffee shop do you insist on staying 'On topic' for the whole time you are there ? I feel like being a spoilsport and pointing out that plastic doesn't break because — its too busy leaching dangerous chemistry into your coffee. I enjoyed the side tracks for a subject like this smile with fly-swat.

I must stay on topic.
I must stop on topic
Must stay on tropic.
Mist stop in tropics
Sciport ni pots ...

On serious topics you're right Blue Sovereign.
Old 19-08-2009, 21:36   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander40 View Post
At home we use a Swiss super automatic. It grinds, packs and pumps high pressure water through the grounds, then cleans itself. one cup at a time. The coffee has a fantastic ..... $1200.00 .
Damn Swiss are always cleaning things: then charging premium prices though never relaxing enough to enjoy either.
Old 19-08-2009, 21:43   #100

Boat: s/v Giro Lagoon 380 S2 #409
Send a message via Skype™ to twowheel
Peet's - Major Dickason's Blend

Either run it through your drip or put it in a French press. Works well as espresso too.

I got hooked on it because I like really strong brews but I dislike the acidity. MDB is very strong but also very low on the acidity.

Not sure what the availability of it outside of the states is but for me it would be well worth a round trip ticket out of the next major port should I find myself running out!
twowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 22:11   #101

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
ahh.. when we lived in Panama the cerro azul was amazingly smooth...

currently I am cold brewing in a jar, filtering thru a cotton sock and then just adding hot water to a coupla tablespoons of the concentrate when Himself wants a cup. I am more a cocoa nd tea kinda girl myself.

The cold brew makes a low acid brew that doesn't upset his stomach and I can make enough for 3 or 4 days at a time.

In Philadelphia during the 90's there was/is a coffee shop that did just that, brewing their iced coffee drip by drip with room temp water. The results were amazing, low acid, smooth, and powerful.
Hope your sock is clean... or I guess you use himself's socks since he's the one that drinks it?

I like tea, and cocoa, but coffee is the elixir of the fast and furious.
Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 22:49   #102

This is a glorious invention: REI Chefware Stainless-Steel Java Press - 33 oz. at REI.com
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 05:56   #103

Boat: MJM 50 Z
convoluted cleaning process for french press

This is so hard.
Take the french press assembly out to the swim platform.
Now this is the hard part... Bend Over.
Grasp the plunger and remove it from the carafe.
Swish both items in the drink. One at a time to avoid falling in said drink.
Reassemble and wash normally sans grinds.

I am thinking about that REI stainless unit!
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 09:40   #104
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander40 View Post
This is so hard.
Take the french press assembly out to the swim platform.
Now this is the hard part... Bend Over.
Grasp the plunger and remove it from the carafe.
Swish both items in the drink. One at a time to avoid falling in said drink.
Reassemble and wash normally sans grinds.
oh my god. I SO could not do that in our marina... I would have to boil it to sterilize it before I could drink anything out of it again...

Our marina isn't any dirtier than most and cleaner than many, but *Ewwww*!!

Now if I was back at anchor off Las Perlas... now that would be a diff story.... ahhh.. sweet memories...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 09:49   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Before you dunk the press part in the water, check whatever holds the screen on is there and is firmly attached. My very expensive insulated French Press strainer is threaded onto the shaft of the plunger. It came loose and deep sixed itself when I went to wash it with the hose over the side. Fortunately, a diver was going by right after I did it and I was able to flag him down. He retrieved the strainer assembly. LocTite doesn't really effect the flavor of the coffee all that much, btw. A little precaution can save you an embarrassing and expensive loss.
Aloha
Peter Ogilvie
Pa'akai O'o, Pearson 35 #108
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote