Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2021, 08:37   #31
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Finding drinking water in the Mediterranean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
In the Western Med my experience is that there is invariably water on the pontoon. Whether it is included in the price for the berth is another matter.

As far as I am concerned the water is fine to drink. With the proviso that I refill plastic bottles from the tap on the pontoon and not from the tanks on the boat.

There are far too many plastic bottles used and abused. If I am going to pay any appreciable sum for liquid then it is for wine!
Water in a bottle is sometimes more expensive than petrol/gasoline or diesel around here (E. Canada)! I agree on the plastic bottle madness, though.

I think the OPs question should be asked everywhere, not just the Med.

My home marina has well water at the dock and in the boatyard which contains iron and sulphur and there's often a sandy residue in the tank at the end of season. We use it for washing and cooking.

I would drink it if it was filtered with a Brita, but we jug chlorinated drinking water from home.

Does anyone have experience with products like the Berkey filter?
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 12:50   #32

Boat: Comar Comet 460

been in greece for about 4 years now. we have always found most town quays have water. only not been able to get water a couple of times
Lidderdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 14:13   #33

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxie View Post
Thanks. I guess I wasn't clear enough with what I'm asking. I'm more curious about how to get the tanks on the boat filled up. Does one just visit (or try to call via phone or radio) any nearby marina and hope they have a place where you can fill up or something else?
The smaller islands, where you can tie up in the harbor, have water trucks. You call them up and they will sell you water at your boat. Marinas will have water. Most will not allow you to use it to wash your boat except perhaps mainland and Corfu. Bottom line is expect to pay for water if you are in a harbor, if in a marina it will be included in your slip rent. We were in Chios Harbor for a while and couldn't therefore run our watermaker. Had to buy plastic containers, rent a car, and fill them up at a spring at the top of the town near the monastery. Don't even think about trying to find water in Mykonos.
~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drinking water, mediterranean, water