Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2023, 09:07   #1

First bareboat charter - need help with breakfast/lunch ideas

Doing my first bareboat charter in the BVI's come January and looking for some suggestions for easy to make, crowd pleaser breakfast and lunch options.

What's your favorite things to make on a charter?
blackc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2023, 11:57   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: First bareboat charter - need help with breakfast/lunch ideas

Wherever you're going, consider ingredient availability. But really, you are going to have fun, not spend all day in the galley, unless that is where you get your main pleasures are.

Anything you like to cook is fair game. We live full time on our boat, and my husband is the prime cook. I am the baker. And, we keep brekkie and lunch as light meals.

I would still keep the meals light, but easy brekkies abound: pancakes, muffins, egg based dishes (lots of nice ways to cook eggs), but depends on the food preferences of the people involved. All vegans? Check out Seaworthy Lass' thread here on CF: "Plant Based Recipes". Use the CF Custom Google Search.

Ann
Old 15-11-2023, 12:32   #3

Boat: Seaward 22

I would say it depends on the crowd. For us...breakfast was usually quick...pastries, yogurt, and fruit....especially days we were moving. Sometimes eggs or pancakes if we were not travelling that day. Always coffee.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2023, 12:41   #4

The avocados are huge there and delicious, we usually have the favorite of millennials everywhere “avocado toast” and a fried egg.

Lunch I’d just get the burger at Foxy’s Taboo, then hit the Lobster Trap on Anegada for dinner each night (or Potter’s).

Don’t overthink things, just get some stuff and have fun. There is literally restaurants and beach bars everywhere, and provisioning is an easy as well.

Have fun!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2023, 12:59   #5

We did that but just as a couple, so we knew what we wanted. I assume you have a boat full of people - perhaps you can get an idea of what type of simple meals they would like. Are you dividing up the meal prep duties?
leecea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 09:49   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

There were 6 of us on our last BVI charter (3 couples). Breakfast and lunch were usually (not always) "fend for yourself" meals--we preferred to spend time in the water or sailing the boat, rather than cooking and cleaning up.

For me, that meant going easy on those meals--yogurt at breakfast and a PB and J or cold cut sandwich at lunch were all I needed, as long as there were afternoon snacks (lots of snacks) and a nice dinner. We usually ate aboard the boat, even at dinner time. That maximizes your time in and on the water, no need to take a lot of time to get ready to "go out."

You are going to have a really great time in the BVI!
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, charter