Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09   #91
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Food Budget - What Are You Eating?

we have many plantain trees and coconuts and mangos and avacados on trees--papayas,and other fruits to supplement our excellent beef and chicken and the daily fish rations found along this area. is awesome.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 00:18   #92

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Re: Masa

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
It's the type of corn flour used to make tortillas or in this case tamales. Lime is added to the corn to enable it to form a dough. The full name is masa harina.
The type lime used is calcium hydroxide, or slaked lime. Not to be confused with lime juice.

The actual corn (hominy) is soaked in the calcium hydroxide solution; then dried and ground. This process is called nixtamalization. The resulting 'flour' is called masa harina. It is mixed with water to form the dough to make corn tortillas or mixed with lard and water to make tamales.

Then there is also masa trigo -- which is wheat flour and used to make flour tortillas.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Re: Masa

The type lime used is calcium hydroxide, or slaked lime. Not to be confused with lime juice.

The actual corn (hominy) is soaked in the calcium hydroxide solution; then dried and ground. This process is called nixtamalization. The resulting 'flour' is called masa harina. It is mixed with water to form the dough to make corn tortillas or mixed with lard and water to make tamales.

Then there is also masa trigo -- which is wheat flour and used to make flour tortillas.

Judy
thanks Judy, doesn't help me try it here in Greece but maybe one day we'll be somewhere we can find it.
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39   #94

Boat: Able 50

Maybe Amazon ?

Maseca Instant Corn Masa: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 00:35   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Thanks, they even have it on Amazon.co.uk - good old Amazon!
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 14:12   #96

Boat: Voyage Maxim 380

Bob - I like your style! I do love a good steak - blue please.
I think about the basics - own salad dressings, big shop on condiments when I am near a decent port, but try and grow sprouts and greens. I used to be able to buy mushroom trays in Oz - not sure if I can get them elsewhere. One of the tricks of charter was to wash all veges in water with a smidge of bleach, drain and wrap in paper towels - could even keep broccoli over a week. Not ashamed of canned stuff when necessary but love wandering the markets for fresh stuff wherever I am in the world. Okay right now Africa, but certianly did this whilst cruising. I used to wonder why people were hung up on Oreos and 'stuff' they knew from home. I have had fun shopping in Dominican Republic - not always knowing what I was buying but the label looked okay. Some of the eventual meals were interesting but that is part of the fun. Have even brewed my own beer and wine but must admit a bit too lazy to do that now. Coffee - if I have to have one luxury it is real coffee - when I fly to the boat this time my bag will have good African coffee plus some good African spices.
bevcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 00:11   #97

We have spent in five and a half weeks about 350.00 on food, which also includes eating out! Our fresh sprouts, catch of the day and a variety of rices, beans,eggs, peanut butter,fresh and dried fruit,good fresh whole wheat bread.I cook a lot of Japanese meals,(fish,seafood,rice and veggies). Peanut butter has always been a big part of my diet. Eating out is a treat..usually a burger for the skipper but McIntosh's in New Plymouth,Green Turtle,Bahamas is great fresh conch,lobster.Pete's Pub in Little Harbour for a burger.If you like an adult beverage Bristol's Liquor in Marsh Harbour has the best prices and selection. I recommend a good elec. rice steamer,which also cooks seafood and veggies.
jeannelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 11:47   #98

Boat: csy 37

jeannelli -

we were in the abacos last summer. mcintosh's in gtc was very good, but in marsh harbor (if you get back there) go to junovia's, our all time favorite. a few blocks from maxwells and well worth the walk, or ask any taxi to take you there.

don't you just love the abacos?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, food