Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 10:48   #16

Re: Freezer not a real freezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Woods View Post
I have a Adler barber fridge with tiny upright freezer unit inside. When I turn the thermostat to #3 the fridge temperature is 38 deg. but the small freezer is only 27 deg. I don't think that's low enough for steaks, I'm positive it's not for chicken. Our plan was to go down to the Keys and stay out two or three weeks to get a feel for what we would need next year in the Bahamas.

My question is, can I turn the fridge lower to get a better freezer temp. I don't want to run it to death. My only other option would to dinghy in for fresh meat every week because I don't have room to add a separate freezer.

Thanks, Woody

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hmm, Interesting responses. Having worked the restaurant industry for many years, I will tell you that 0 degrees F is optimum freezer temp. However, anything below 32 f will keep it. The rule of temps for keeping in the refrig is 40 below or 160 above. (this keeps most bacterial growth at bay. If you do not plan to keep the meats in a freeze for more than a week (including chicken) you are okay. Above 40 and below 160, I would not use it after a day as salmonella should definitely be a concern (especially in the tropic). What it really comes down to is what your concerns are about "freezing for later use" vs energy use. I like to think fresh is best and am very open to restocking supplies regularly on a basis of what is available where I am. Frig and freezer are good for cold drinks (beer and possibly wine) but not needed for much else. Think about fresh caught fish as a replacement for chicken first and red meats next - it is also healthier for you. Don't know anywhere I've been that you can't catch fish (some places better than others but...).
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:29   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
a64, do you have any pictures of the inside of your fridge showing the divider setup? We currently have a large cold plate/block and will be diving our box as well. I'm still working through locating a good DC option as well, but your divider setup would be interesting.

Won't be down for two more weeks. This weekend is Daughters Prom.
Real simple though just get some of the blue board insulation from Lowes. I had some thin sheets of fiberglass I bonded to both sides. Put two 2" holes in the bottom for airflow although I leave my holes blocked off. I put it in the middle which is slightly to one side of the factory divider that I removed.
Your problem will be finding a big enough system to have a 7 cu ft freezer and a 7 cu ft fridge both.
Rich at Cruise RO put a custom dual cold plate system together with a larger than normal compressor for me.
It may have been better to have dual cold plates, one fridge one freezer and separate compressors I don't know.
Current plan is to get an Engel too, stock it full with good frozen beef and transfer as necessary until Engel is empty, but that ought to be six months easy?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 12:16   #18

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Woods View Post
Stu,

(snip) I only need to freeze a few steaks and some hamburger(snip)
Woody
Woody, once you get your box performing well, I would suggest the best thing you can do to minimize the energy consumption is to NOT freeze fresh steaks! Buy good quality vacuum packed frozen steaks. It takes a lot more compressor run time to freeze anything than it does to freeze it. It takes 1 BTU to lower the temperature of 1 pound of water by 1 degree F, but it takes 144 BTUs to take it from liquid at 32 to ice at 32. I'd suggest the same for chicken, hamburger and fish.

Sounds like you already have a food saver vacuum packager, so another option would be to buy fresh, vacuum pack and freeze at home, then transfer to the boat.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 15:07   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I used to wrap a block of dry ice in thick paper (paper grocery bags) and place at the bottom of my icebox, with the frozen stuff on top or adjacent, then another insulating layer before the "fridge" stuff. The frozen stuff would stay frozen for at least a week. After a week I would toss the remains (less than half) of the dry ice overboard for an exciting fog and bubble show. If its a one time trip, this might help, provided you have a source for dry ice.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:19   #20

Boat: Catalina 320

My thanks to everyone!!!!!!!

The top lid was insulated but had voids I filled. I bought a sheet of Foamular 1 inch thick and installed it on the shelf under the freezer to keep the cold air from going straight down. Also the underside of the box had very little insulation so I put insulation there and up the angled side along the hull.

The end results were that on setting #4 my freezer is at 18 degrees Fahrenheit and the fridge is at 34 and it runs a little less now.

So for 6 dollars and your advice another problem was solved.

Thanks, Woody

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1458054054431.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	120781  
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 12:03   #21
Marine Service Provider

You have not made necessary improvement to delta T between freezer and refrigerator area. You started at a difference of 11 degrees and now you have 16 degrees. I would want 8 to 12 degrees in freezer evaporator bin and 34 to 36 degrees in refrigerator area. Insulate evaporator exterior surface some more. On Adler Barbour units Insulation between bin and wall normally solves the problem you have.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 13:06   #22

Boat: Catalina 320

Richard,

I have a PC of insulation left that would fit perfectly behind the evaporator but it was installed with a 1/2 inch gap. I'll stop at the hardware tomorrow and pickup two longer screws.

Thanks, Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
You have not made necessary improvement to delta T between freezer and refrigerator area. You started at a difference of 11 degrees and now you have 16 degrees. I would want 8 to 12 degrees in freezer evaporator bin and 34 to 36 degrees in refrigerator area. Insulate evaporator exterior surface some more. On Adler Barbour units Insulation between bin and wall normally solves the problem you have.
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer