Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2013, 05:39   #1

Boat: Sigma 33 C
Galley Drawers

Hubby and I were having a “discussion” on the amount of equipment in the galley. I try to employ the “twfer rule”. It lead to me to wondering what else you do keep in your galley? For example, a potato peeler doubles up for a lemon zester and also a parmesan cheese grater. Also how many people would make chillie rellos on the boat? It’s a recipe in book called cooking afloat I have.

Await with interest!

Sarcio
Victoria Dock Caernarfon
North Wales.
Sarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 05:53   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Galley Drawers

i have made chiles relleno on board, also pozole and other goodies....i keep in my galley that which i would keep in my home, as my formosa is my home....and i have a tater peeler, cheese grater and other stuff i didnt mak do more than one thing..lol..but most of my items i keep do more than one thing, usually.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 05:59   #3
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
We are the same. We love food and find that even more so than on land our day can revolve around the meals - as such we dont skimp on space for everything we may need in the kitchen. I want my tools to be maximally useable so if a tool works multi purpose great, but my priority is more a tool that works really well with its primary purpose.

We have everything we would have at home, inclusive of power items such as a blender, food processor, stick mixer, etc. we also have all the pans amd knives, mixing bowls etc you would find in any home of a family that loves to cook.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 06:10   #4

i do not have drawers in my galley--is an oversight i am sure by the designer..lol
so to make up for no drawers in galley i have placed a chunk of fish net over my formosa windows in galley and i stash my wine bottle openers(not corkscrews) and funnels and some her items in that net and it is good.,,,out of the way and findable, as it is within my line of sight...
Old 27-03-2013, 06:29   #5

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35

Cooking (and eating) is one of the things we enjoy most while we are one the boat. In the Bahamas almost our entire day is centered around it. Catching it. Cleaning it. Preparing it. Sharing it. Enjoying it. Having a well stocked and layed-out galley, including tools, makes this more effortless and enjoyable.

I do try to limit how many gadgets I have as searching in a crowded and cluttered drawer takes away from the experience. I keep all the basics: peeler, zesters/graters(different sizes), tongs, strainer/sifter, good measuring spoons/cups, good can opener, serving spoons. A good knife can take care of most anything. And I agree with foolish sailor, use tools that work well.

Taking the time to really set your galley up right can make a huge difference in how well you enjoy being in it. Is this a "new to you" galley?

And yes, chili rellenos definitely sound good to me.
Old 27-03-2013, 06:44   #6

kindle--i have lived on this boat for 4-5 yrs and been cruising in her for 2 so far. nothing in her is new. mebbe except for the stuff we fixed so far..lol
Old 27-03-2013, 06:51   #7

Zeehag, I had been wondering if the original poster was just setting up her galley. I have followed your adventures for a while
Old 27-03-2013, 06:55   #8

lol...ok gotcha---i wonder if the op has thought outside the box for use of interesting items to make organizing fun..lol
only thing i didnt have that i wanted in this boat was drawers in galley--but the rest of the boat is such that i dont even really miss them.......ok i lied..i do miss drawers, but the fish net works great...
Old 27-03-2013, 07:07   #9

I only have two drawers but I would miss them. I don't like too see anything on my counter and they are my best defense at taming visual clutter.

Curious, what is your favorite "out of the box" organizing trick?

One of mine is using the really large Gatorade bottles -the squarish type- to store "pourable" dry goods like rice and oatmeal. They are free, seal tight, store compactly, prevent contamination since you are not scooping into them, and have a nice handle on top to pour from.
Old 27-03-2013, 07:18   #10

i use those sugar bottles with a pour and spoon thingie on the top for my sugar--i keep re using them....
gear nets for many items--clothing to galley stuff----i am poor at organization, and i am still refitting this boat for my use..is not so easy...lol--i may have some drawers installed into my dinette table for table ware....dont know as yet as i am still in design stage with few examples of same...want more fish net, tho....
Old 27-03-2013, 08:04   #11

One drawer... all for utensils... galley lockers have assorted bins attached inside the doors for more stuff. galley is efficient with the exception that opening the doors swings over the counter and lift up lids in the counter means moving stuff.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 08:25   #12

I cheat and put galley stuff throughout the whole boat so I can cook anything on board that I can cook ashore. Unfortunately the most useful objects are the most expensive in weight size and power consumption.

There's the big electric skillet that I do most of my cooking in. It sits on the stove.
There's the electric pressure cooker that lives under the counter in the big bin.
The cuisinart and the blender both found their way aboard, despite the size and weight issues......

As you'd imagine, I do most of my cooking when the genset is running each day.

Lest I lose all my self-sufficiency cool points, the stove, oven, and grill are all genset independent.
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 08:33   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have enough stuff to whip up most any type of food ! from a bread maker, to a BIG canning pressure cooker! We like to eat well ! and we love to can when we have the stuff to can! from fish to veggies, to jellys and jams made from local trees and gardens in the places we stop at ! been working for a long time for us !! and at least Connie stays slim LOL The thing I would never leave without is my coffee grinder, and a spare coffee maker !!! Can't live without them !!
Old 27-03-2013, 10:17   #14

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarico View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hubby and I were having a “discussion” on the amount of equipment in the galley. I try to employ the “twfer rule”. It lead to me to wondering what else you do keep in your galley? For example, a potato peeler doubles up for a lemon zester and also a parmesan cheese grater. Also how many people would make chillie rellos on the boat? It’s a recipe in book called cooking afloat I have.
When you get to "discuss" the tools he finds essential, then (and only then) does he gets to chat about your galley gear. Take EVERYTHING you want and have room to store safely/securely and if you find it unused or in the way, then get rid of same.

That said, you will find some items unused or simply impractical to stow, so those go first. Have fun -- and remember it's your home too!
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley