Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2012, 23:25   #1

Boat: Catamaran 55
Gas bob, 2 or 3 burners

Hi,

I am in process of buying a Gas hob, I read on the forum that 2 plates are better then 3 as it works better for some reason.

In general would you use 3 plates most of the time or only if you have visitors.

Also there is a new 5 ring burner out now, any advise on that one.

Thanks.
KKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 03:01   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Gas bob, 2 or 3 burners

Two burners worked for us for years with 6 of us aboard. 3 would have been better! just our 2 cents
Old 28-04-2012, 05:50   #3

Boat: contessa 32

The problem with 3 burners is that they are often so close together that one cannot get a larger pans to center over the burners. i would rather have a larger burner and maybe a smaller burner than three crammed together. I have eaten many satisfying meals cooked over a single burner on tiny boats,it justs takes more planning.
It probably helps that I once worked as a short oprder cook ,so am adept at juggling pots and pans.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 07:08   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I think there are two problems with many 3-burner stoves (I have a Force-10 3-burner).
  1. I rarely use more than two pots, so the third burner does not get used very often.
  2. On the F10, there are two small burners (in front) and one large (in the rear). Most of my cooking is on the back burner, which does not balance well on the gimbals unless I put something on one of the front burners (e.g., a tea kettle of water). Two burners aligned with the gimbals would balance one or two pots.
Still, it is nice to have that 3rd burner for the rare times it is needed.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 08:28   #5

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I love to cook. I expect that I should be able to cook anything that I can think of on the boat, chinese, indian, mexican, french, italian, middle eastern, and have it be perfect. I use 3 burners all the time. Sometimes I wish I had 4.
If you typically cook very simply or don't care about what you eat very much, don't worry about it. If you make a lot of things from scratch like I do because you think it's better, you'll need the 3rd.
Old 04-05-2012, 23:29   #6

Boat: Catamaran 55

Thanks to all you good people for the sound advise.

Yes even tho I like to cook from scratch and cook up a storm so the kitchen looks like a hurricane has hit it , I have decided that I must trim the sails and start micro managing myself, not enough water for all the washing up, and with family and friends far away now I have decide to go for quality instead of quantity and go for a 2 plate Gas hob , in a way I was sorry I didn't have the third burner, but then last night visiting another Yacht they showed me a very neat little light weight single plate gas with it's own gas canister that you can pack away and use for the odd occasions when needed. The gas oven was another story, after finally finding one in Thailand I opened the door and stroked over the surface and cut my finger quite badly with blood dripping and a squeaky door I wasn't going to buy that one, have since found out through the net that it is the cheap local version of the true Tecno gas stove and that one I can only get in Singapore. So I have to learn patience till I get an oven, but having been building here in Malaysia without so many of our creatures comforts a few more months won't make much difference.
Thanks to all.
Kristín.
KKat is offline   Reply With Quote