Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2010, 08:37   #31

Boat: Island Packet 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
seems like herbs would be the most useful gardening to do aboard. I bet something like this would work...

Hang it on the life line in nice weather, hand it on the towel rod in heavy weather...
Hi Sara,
I'm very interested in the herb container set you suggested. Do you happen to remember where you saw it online?
Many thanks!
Cheers,
Sharna
lovinlifebda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 08:58   #32

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
We do grow herbs - we use ortlieb buckets, which are actually square waterproof bowls which are really tough, and plant basil, coriander, mint, parsley. These sit very handily under the sprayhood, forward of the companionway where they are very well protected from spray. We have to manage watering carefully as these are not drained bowls so between either drying out or getting too damp, you have to keep a bit of an eye on them. But it's absolutely great to have them on board and they do really well. One lot got all the way from the UK across Biscay to southern Spain, survived the winter there and only kicked the bucket (sorry!) from Moroccan heat.

For a short while, I don't see why that wouldn't work with cut-and-come-again salad as well, but we haven't tried that (yet).

Also, sometimes sprouted beans in those three layer things, which take up very little footprint and need remarkably little light.

Anything bigger (including tomatoes), I'd probably avoid if we were actually going to sail anywhere, but if we planned six months on the hook somewhere, it might be worth exploring.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 09:42   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Why Not? Well--for one reason, the first foreign port you pull into, the Health and Agricultural Inspector is going to quarantine your boat and make you pull out the whole business--dirt and all, together with your veggies and the various bugs'n beetles they might be carrying; bag it/them up; and have the whole business delivered to a hazardous waste disposal site. That last thing any country needs is some latter-day Johnny Appleseed spreading invasive species to decimate their agricultural industry. Moreover, unless you're pulling a Donald Crowhurst, or Bernard Moitessier, there is no passage longer than about 30 daze--which isn't enough time for a "crop" (of anything but difficulties) and by carefully selecting one's fresh provisions, and storing them properly, they should endure until one can resupply (cabbages, potatoes, onions, carrots, even green tomatoes wrapped in newpaper, will endure. And, if one must have "fresh greens", one can grow a crop of sprouts very readily in a corner of the cockpit in paper cups in a week or so--but be prepared to ditch them, and the fresh eggs, frozen meat, poultry, etc; and, any remaining fresh provisions, before expecting to be granted free Pratique in most foreign ports. I understand the NZ and Oz are particularly strict about this as is Tonga, Fiji, the Galapagos; most central American Countries, etc., etc, etc.

FWIW...
Hear, Hear... a voice of sanity from amidst a sea of frustrated gardeners.... LMAO....
I you wanna 'Garden'.....
Buy a Cottage...
Boats transfer enuf dodgey 'Sea Life'... don't add to the problems... unless your a "Marina Bound" live-aboard who never slips the lines...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 09:47   #34

Boat: Island Packet 40
A big thanks to both Roaring Girl and Boatman 61. We're about to be new liveaboards in Bermuda and will sail mainly locally. We'll be here for around three years before heading off to 'foreign' waters so the product suited our short term wants/needs.
Cheers!
lovinlifebda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 16:13   #35
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlifebda View Post
Hi Sara,
I'm very interested in the herb container set you suggested. Do you happen to remember where you saw it online?
Many thanks!
Cheers,
Sharna
Hi, Cool but wicked expensive;

http://www.vivachistyle.com/?m=pro&f...=10841&i=10991

you know how Italians are!

I think you could rig something up that would function similarly for much less. Half gallon or quart plastic milk cartons trimmed and used to hold square potted herbs perhaps?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 16:27   #36

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Yeah, this Italian likes nothing better than good fresh food! (wine, also of course)!
Great thread and great ideas.
I see the plastic milk jug with it's top cut off, hanging from some yarns as a good solution. Amazing how tolerant many herbs are. I still have two potted Basils that are producing even in my NE winter, short days, (they're getting longer now!)
Just have to come up with a way to get things inspected for the custome man...
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 09:34   #37

Boat: Brewer 44
What about the hydroponic AeroGarden? If living with a gen, or a well managed and supplied battery bank.

My mother has one at her house and it works great. Shopping on line I found they make a few smaller models, less space and less power.

The light likes to stay on for most of the day, but kill the power when you need to and I bet they won't grow as fast, but they still should grow.

Or get creative and change out the 120v to 12v LEDs, now we are on to something!
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 09:59   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouth View Post
What about the hydroponic AeroGarden? If living with a gen, or a well managed and supplied battery bank.

My mother has one at her house and it works great. Shopping on line I found they make a few smaller models, less space and less power.

The light likes to stay on for most of the day, but kill the power when you need to and I bet they won't grow as fast, but they still should grow.

Or get creative and change out the 120v to 12v LEDs, now we are on to something!
Here you go:
12 Volt LED Grow Light Kit - HomeGrownLights.com

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 02:02   #39

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Hi, Cool but wicked expensive;

VivachiStyle® Store | Legnoart | GALLERIA hanging garden

you know how Italians are!

I think you could rig something up that would function similarly for much less. Half gallon or quart plastic milk cartons trimmed and used to hold square potted herbs perhaps?
You can get them half price if you buy them in $. I checked out the sites and the amount 117 is the same but the currency symbol changes.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 02:05   #40

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Why Not? Well--for one reason, the first foreign port you pull into, the Health and Agricultural Inspector is going to quarantine your boat and make you pull out the whole business--dirt and all, together with your veggies and the various bugs'n beetles they might be carrying; .

FWIW...
We had a thread about growning herbs last year. One of the cruising members said that she just claims then as provisions. She hasn't had any of her plants taken.
Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:18   #41

Boat: currently without
Sprouts, easy, quick turn around take up little space.
Growing Alfalfa Sprouts

Cpt. J
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:38   #42
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Mushies!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote