Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 15:45   #1

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
Growing Fruits / Vegetables on Board

I know this idea is out there. I'm waiting to get off a ship in the middle of the GOM, bored outta my mind, i was thinking how neat it would be if you could convert the vbirth of a sailboat into a small greenhouse. Don't know about strength issues, but if you replaced a portion of the above deck with lexan, and portholes in the side, perhaps it could work. also don't know about water consumption and other problems. but anyhow it would be pretty neat to be even more independent.
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 15:49   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
The small yeild from fruits and vegtables isn't worth the effort. But my daughter rigged up a hydroponic herb garden made out of PVC one year. She got the idea and plans from YouTube. There is some guy, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find that did it on his sail boat that has a half dozen videos on it. Try this..

Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 17:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Don't know about strength issues, but if you replaced a portion of the above deck with lexan, and portholes in the side, perhaps it could work.
If you compare the area of sunlight you could make to the food you could produce, it's not enough to feed yourself. You might grow a few herbs as suggested that just seem to taste better fresh.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 17:40   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
We grow herbs in a pot off the stern rail. You need lots of fertilizer and take them down below if it blows as the salt will kill them.
Old 09-08-2009, 18:54   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I see all kinds of boats with the upside down tomato plants....they seem to work well
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 20:15   #6

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I see all kinds of boats with the upside down tomato plants....they seem to work well

yeah, i saw the upside down tomato plant in the sky mall magazine. you know the magazine that is 95% filled with **** that nobody needs. ANyhow, the tomato plant caught my eye and i wondered if it would work.
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 20:22   #7

Boat: Farrier f27
I saw those upsidedown planters in a nursery, it seems they were curious, tried them and tossed them in a corner - meaning the nursery thought they were a gimmick. What does work well on boats is growing your own sprouts.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:21   #8

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
fruits and salads

We're about to embark on a life at sea and we eat lots of fruit and a large salad every evening with dinner. What will keep on a boat that we could substitute? We're experienced gardeners and there's no way we can grow stuff fast enough, except sprouts.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:46   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
We tried the upside down planter thing at home as well just for kicks. Again Youtube to the rescue. Don't buy the one seen on TV. We used a 5 gallon bucket instead.

Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 14:54   #10

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA
OK, so why would you want your tomato plants to grow upside down? Wouldn't they just turn around and grow up the bucket anyway?

What's the advantage of the upside down growing system?
Old 10-08-2009, 15:42   #11

I have two upside down tomatoes in my greenhouse right now. They do turn around and try to grow up! I'm awaiting results to see if they bear more fruit or not, but it's looking like the answer is no.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:43   #12

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Upside down planters let you grow stuff without taking up floor or deck space, you can hang them off to the side here and there and they can give you a nice visual hit at eye level. You could, for instance, have something in a planter and then another plant hanging over that one. Tomatoes do well in hanging planters because the weight of the fruit draws the plant structure down. Plants in containers need to be watered twice daily with just enough to moisten the soil and need drainage.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:07   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
Loco?

;-) At anchor, you can keep them pots on the deck. Have met people growing stuff this way with much success. But in the seaway the only thing that can be grown are the sprouts. Easy and yummy.

The mold grows great too but yet failed to find a good recipe .... ;-))
cheers
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:04   #14

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
what about all that space in the salons of Fontaine Pajots - just behind the settee and under the port lights?? Looks like dead space to me - perfect place to put a few tiny pots of herbs. Those boats are stable platforms. Seems like the little plants would do well underway inside the salon. We are thinking of getting a Bahia, and I'm hoping I can grow some herbs.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:30   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
.... Plants in containers need to be watered twice daily with just enough to moisten the soil and need drainage.
Unless you buy or make one of the earth boxes which may only require watering once a week or even less.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote