Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2014, 09:32   #16

Re: Guessing the Temp of the Oven

also.... be sure the check the fit of the oven door seal, many of them leak like a sieve... which makes for non uniform baking!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 09:40   #17

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

While I have a 'No Contact' infrared thermometer (which is very useful in checking on things in the engine room, frig/ freezer, oven, gland nut, motors, breakers, power cords, electronics, LED builds, AC/ heat air outflow temps, ...) I use a $4 old technology mechanical dial oven thermometer that I modified a bit to hang from the oven grill close to the oven glass. Always there, easy to read, no batteries required. Regardless of knowing temperature in a marine oven... it's more of an art than science as all have said. But it adds excitement and sometimes a new taste and a good story in what otherwise might become humdrom on-board meal prep! A perfect cake or pie cooked on-board is really something to compliment the chef.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 09:54   #18

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Ocean Girl beat me to it, but these are head and shoulders above anything else for taking oven temps! As she mentions, there are a ton of other uses around as boat for them but the big thing for ovens is my ovens can vary by 75 degrees or so, this allows you to find which corner bakes at the proper temp and all sorts of other stuff.

When you are bored in the summer time you can shoot the ceiling of your boat to find where you need to add better insulation.

However, instead of buying a Fluke from Amazon go to eachbuyer.com or newfrog.com and get a $13 unit from china, where the Fluke is probably made anyway.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 10:41   #19

Can't say I share others enthusiasm for the infrared thermometers for reading oven temperatures.

Depending on which surfaces I point it at I get readings of +400 just above the burner, 350 on my stone, 280 on the oven sides, or 180 on a nearly cooked pizza.

None of these different readings of the various surfaces tells me anything about the actual air temperature in the oven that's doing the cooking, since that is not how these devices work.

Curious to know how others use these devices for checking oven temps.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 10:55   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
However, instead of buying a Fluke from Amazon go to eachbuyer.com or newfrog.com and get a $13 unit from china, where the Fluke is probably made anyway.
I second Newfrog. That's where I source a lot of my bits and pieces including an IR thermometer and a clamp meter, as well as lots of other computer / electronic bits and pieces that I can't buy in PNG.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 11:00   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not use any meter. I just look at the dish and smell it and I know when ready. I sometimes use a long sharp wood pick to test stuff (e.g. cakes) that are thick and must bake well throughout.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 11:02   #22

Boat: Hunter 38

Wow I am feeling like a pro on Ovens already with all tips and info. I popped into my local Boardmans and found a thermometer like the thumbnail previously shown, in degrees F and C cost about $8. Now down to the yacht to try it out. Soooo easy. I like the idea of an infrared Fluke but I would not put it down firing it at all the hot spots around the yacht esp. the motor. Maybe an invertor and microwave would be easier but I suppose an hour baking a bread could pretty much wipe out the battery bank.
Force Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 12:12   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force Five View Post
Wow I am feeling like a pro on Ovens already with all tips and info. I popped into my local Boardmans and found a thermometer like the thumbnail previously shown, in degrees F and C cost about $8. Now down to the yacht to try it out. Soooo easy. I like the idea of an infrared Fluke but I would not put it down firing it at all the hot spots around the yacht esp. the motor. Maybe an invertor and microwave would be easier but I suppose an hour baking a bread could pretty much wipe out the battery bank.
Good decision.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 14:25   #24

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

I have used the same thermometer for years...actually I am on my second one...they are great. The baking stone that was mentioned is great too...we have the pizza stone but would love the larger stone but until something happens to this one we will keep using it. Good luck.
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 23:53   #25

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Can't say I share others enthusiasm for the infrared thermometers for reading oven temperatures.

Depending on which surfaces I point it at I get readings of +400 just above the burner, 350 on my stone, 280 on the oven sides, or 180 on a nearly cooked pizza.

None of these different readings of the various surfaces tells me anything about the actual air temperature in the oven that's doing the cooking, since that is not how these devices work.

Point it at the food
Old 01-12-2014, 00:05   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post

Point it at the thermometer you linked to above
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 10:29   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'Day 31

If anyone is still looking for a thermometer for their boat oven, here is one that works well. You put the probe inside your oven and the monitor is outside the oven and allows you to tweak your oven temperature by changing the setting on your oven.

https://seadogboatingsolutions.com/t...-top-oven.html

This thermometer can also be used in an RV oven or even with the Omnia Stove Top Oven.

I hope this is helpful.

Steve
SteveCharlebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 11:05   #28

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I use a thermometer designed for use in a bbq grill, it is corded, you put the probe in the oven (mine is wired to the bottom of the rack) then it has about 1.5m of cord to the read out, I normally put it on the counter so I can easily see it, that and a pizza stone to distribute and moderate the heat and I can bake up a storm. The temperature takes a bit of work to dial in.......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 11:54   #29
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

A lot of multi-meters come with pyrometer probes. fast reading, accurate, and no need to pen oven door.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 12:20   #30

With today's "point and read" thermometers so cheap now, why not just that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven