Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 06:32   #16

Re: How do shared expenses work?

Would you do the same to your family members/relatives/friends for sharing expenses or work on board?

A friend has a decent nice boat but is not wealthy. He was happy having his relatives/family members on board, but then he was upset that some never volunteered to share expenses. The problem is that he felt embarrassed to ask for their contributions as a family. Now it is a burden to him as they get used to have free holiday on his boat. He said that it might hurt his relatives if he asked them to share the expenses.

We do feel sorry for him and don't understand why he couldn't raise it to them.

I may forward this thread to him if he complains the share expense issue again.
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 05:04   #17

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
Re: How do shared expenses work?

À shared cruise kitty for food, mooring fees, etc.
I always ask how often people would like to eat out and discus how much more should go into the kitty. If someone can't pay eating out often and wants to stay onboard we make a separate eat-out kitty.

I always make sure the diesel tank is full and if we motor a lot I expect them to contribute as well.

I also ask a (small) amount per person per week to support maintaining the boat. When people grumble about that I point out that renting an apartment is much more expensive. But they rarely complain.

Please note that I only invite/accept friends onboard.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote