Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 09:35   #16

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504
Re: How do you easily get your provisions aboard when at anchor?

It is good that the OP is thinking things through. ON my boat, the deck is about 4 feet off the water.

The process starts with the dinghy--getting it in the water, and fitting a motor, especially with waves. In my experience as a single-hander, that's the hardest part. Second hardest is unloading 6 x 5-gallon containers of diesel, and beer kegs. It helps to have a sugar-scoop stern, with access thru the cockpit.

If you are reasonably fit, getting provisions on board for one person is not a problem if you are not using store bags. A well-made back pack is crucial, IMHO. Fill it with unbreakables and you can heave it on board and nothing falls out.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 10:32   #17

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
It seems this is pretty simple for multihulls, but most large monhulls seem to have 2-3' between the waterline where the dinghy would be and the deck.

I'm guessing there is some secret here i'm not aware of.

Thanks!
You might have included a little more information such as, is there a physical disability involved (my sympathies) or are you having to lift heavy batteries or 5 gallon water jugs?
In many cruising places there are guys standing around doing nothing that would be glad to help you for a small tip or a beer.

For normal provisions I just hand them up the 5 feet from the floor of the dinghy to the poop deck. No problem with that. A 5 gallon gas tank is a bit of a chore if nearly full, but made easier by simply attaching a rope to the handle and lifting it from the deck.

If all else fails just rig a block and tackle from the boom.
Old 30-05-2020, 10:37   #18

Boat: Morgan Out Island 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OK... for those items, leave a halyard clipped to the lifeline amidships. Come alongside in the dink, attach halyard to item leaving it slack. Climb aboard and use the halyard winch to raise the item to deck level. Swing over life lines and lower to the deck. No problem...

We've loaded very heavy batteries this way with our 80+ year old bodies... not much fun but do-able.

Jim
Love all yours and Ann's posts so much. Always great and sensible advice, so appreciated!
CMO Tashina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 10:43   #19

Boat: 34 foot Ebbtide Steel Hull

Just moved on recently to Culworth good 4-5 feet from dinghy to toe rail. I rigged a block on the boom, locked topping lift a bit high, managed to get 60L full water butt's on without a sweat, 3kva generator. Tool box that probably 70kg (I can just about lift it)

Now have a block permanently rigged on the safety line so I can just grab it, also keeps boom over to the side for more space in the cockpit

Currently pulling a set of mobility scooter cranes apart to rebuild in ss to use as davits and also they will swing away fir when measuring loa if mooring
Old 30-05-2020, 11:06   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 354

I'm talking theory here. I haven't actually faced this issue yet but I will eventually. I've been thinking about rigging a block and tackle to the end of the boom, perhaps with a net or something similar to put your goods in. Swing the boom out over the dinghy, secure your whatever, haul it up and then swing the boom back over the deck where you can unload it.

Anyone tried this?
Old 30-05-2020, 11:07   #21

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I found the step through transom on my Catalina 36 to be very useful. I have seen others use one of the J or L-shaped hoists mounted on a back corner of their boat.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 11:16   #22

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

My outboard motor hoist is at the stern next to my ladder. tie dink up to ladder and use the motor hoist to haul up heavier bags.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 11:27   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

We simply leave the stuff in the dinghy and we tie a line round it. Then we hoist it from the deck.

If the cargo is big or heavy, hoist twice in smaller packages.

Otherwise use a halyard for stuff like sails back from the loft, etc.

Easypeasy.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 12:09   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

About ten years ago I switched from using 20 litre to 10 litre dingy fuel and water containers. Must he getting old-----or lazier.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 13:13   #25
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Ikea bags are absolutely brilliant for carrying groceries and other gear together in one large bag onto and off the dinghy and in land.

We have 3 or 4 of them. Tough, handy cheap, it's like a shopping cart you can carry over your shoulder. Easily swallows 6-8 full plastic grocery bags into one carryall. Use two to carry two carts of groceries, one over each shoulder. Keeps everything together in the dinghy too.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/frakta-...blue-17228340/
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 14:34   #26

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

When we bought our ketch it took me a bit to understand how brilliant it is that the bottom of the mizzen sheet is fastened with a snap shackle. Ease the sheet, unshackle , swing the boom out and bingo haul up whatever you want.
If it is bouncy it can be easier to manage heavy loads, ie batteries, amidships with a halyard.
I’ve also used a spin pole as a jib boom for heavy loads.
I have a 5:1 handy billy I use.
Even putting 100+ pound batteries down the companionway and lifting them into a battery box is made easier.
Down below a halyard through a hatch then the block and tackle saves backs.
If you have a sailboat you have a lot of hoisting cranes.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 15:05   #27

Boat: Phantom 32

On my South coast 36, I made a 400 mm folding gantry arm from a sturdy aluminium extrusion, hinged to a push pit stanchion. A 45 degree locking strut clipped in to hold gantry arm horizontal. A block and tackle on the end made light work of the old Mercury OB and any other heavy objects, whilst standing in the ducky and hauling. When not in use it just folded down on the stanchion secured by Velcro tape, handy billy stowed away. I mostly single hand. When having crew, gates in the lifelines are a dog send
Jono as 2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 15:18   #28

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
It seems this is pretty simple for multihulls, but most large monhulls seem to have 2-3' between the waterline where the dinghy would be and the deck.

I'm guessing there is some secret here i'm not aware of.

Thanks!
Well a good swinging motion gets my 20 liter jerry cans aboard, and the rest of the supplies aren't a problem. But I am assuming from the question that you haven't spent much time at the gym
Use your halyard, that's how we hauled our big house batteries out of the dinghy.
Old 30-05-2020, 17:50   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

All advice here is good, it’s just not good in all situations.

It’s one thing for a person who sails in confined waters, where you have no swell and limited wave action. It’s completely different for those who are island hopping and can have a significant swell even with no wind as the waves wrap around the island into your anchorage. And it’s different again if your monohull either rolls or pitches significantly. What works for one sailor on one boat will not work for another.

Sugar scoops can be wonderful, except when there is a big swell on and that scoop becomes lethal. We have a traditional transom and when the swell is on I must load/unload the outboard over amidships. Our boat does not roll substantially but pitches. Other boats are real rollers and working amidships then would not be good. You would be better to work off the middle of the transom if possible.

This topic deserves some serious thought when thinking about how to do a MOB recovery at sea. If things are calm I could hoist over the transom but in even moderate conditions a mid ship recovery is much less likely to injure the MOB. Each vessel is different.

If you think that 40lb 5 gallon tank of water is heavy what about a 200 pound person, soaking wet, and feeble due to hypothermia.

hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 01:12   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You'll have to get in your dinghy to do it, but get the main or spinnaker halyard down near the toerail, get in dinghy, fix halyard to victim, get back aboard, go fwd, and hoist the poor SOB. Be prepared for mouth to mouth, and also for attempts to warm him/her.

Ann

Tags
anchor