Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 19:43   #16

Re: How to determine if grill Regulator has gone bad?

I was having regulator problems and read somewhere that a dual stage regulator was the way to go. I ordered one a few weeks ago but haven't got it installed yet. I'll try to mount it up this weekend and report back.
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 19:57   #17

My regular has a vent hole that gets plugged up by small insects. I use a small wire or drill bit to clean it out, being careful not to puncture the diaphragm.
KS_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 15:56   #18

That did the trick, nice even strong flame now. Of course, it's on my griddle at my house, which is at 7200, so this information may be of limited use to those closer to sea level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeTrailer View Post
I was having regulator problems and read somewhere that a dual stage regulator was the way to go. I ordered one a few weeks ago but haven't got it installed yet. I'll try to mount it up this weekend and report back.
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 16:17   #19

Tip given to me by a propane supplier. Always turn off the tank regulator first after cooking, then controls on the BBQ after flame is out. Bleeds off pressure in hose and from backside of tank regulator. When starting turn on tank regulator slowly until you hear a "click", then open it several turns. Then open controls on BBQ. Small levers and pivots inside the tank regulator can get stuck if you crack the tank valve open fast and without back pressure created in the hose from the closed control valves on the BBQ. Can I prove any of this... nope. But I was replacing regulators every year or two. Now at year four and still good. If you get a low flame on startup, try this shutdown/start procedure and see if the pressure becomes proper. If not, get a new regulator.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 16:21   #20

I have to buy a new regulator for my home BBQ almost every year on average. I wish I knew why. It works fine one day, the next day it lights, but when I go back it's only luke warm and not hot enough to grill... although it's lit still. New regulator fixes it every time. I had it happen a couple times on the boat also. These reg's seem to be garbage.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 08:06   #21

Boat: VIA Marine 42

Mine bearly had a flame and was only able to warm my dinner. Unscrewed the brass ports from the BBQ valve and soaked the hose end valve in alcohol (had acetone and thinner, but could use alcohol to light the stove) for a few minutes. Whatever it was, cleaned it up. Water? It had been in rain. I could now blow through it. Worked fine after that.
Les Noble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill, regulator