Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 23:27   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
How to keep green algae from forming in the fresh water tanks

What is the best solution to keep green algae from forming in the freshwater tanks
I installed a Sea Gull filter under the skink; I find the replacement filters are very expensive, especially if the clog up before there use by date with green algae.

I was considering installing a inline prefilter may help to reduce the expensive Sea Gull filter from clogging up. The two water tanks are plastimo plastic 100 litre tanks each. I do cleaned them once a year.

Happy navigational experiences,

kryg

kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 00:00   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: How to keep green algae from forming in the fresh water tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
What is the best solution to keep green algae from forming in the freshwater tanks
I installed a Sea Gull filter under the skink; I find the replacement filters are very expensive, especially if the clog up before there use by date with green algae.

I was considering installing a inline prefilter may help to reduce the expensive Sea Gull filter from clogging up. The two water tanks are plastimo plastic 100 litre tanks each. I do cleaned them once a year.

Happy navigational experiences,

kryg

Chlorine, just like the city does. Just a few ppm from diluted bleach. Otherwise, you will get scum.

Just curious, did you prefilter with carbon?
Old 22-08-2019, 00:19   #3

Thanks, Thinwater, do you mean the common household bleach say a cap full every 100 Liters or so?

No, I could not find a small enough carbon inline filter I needed. Instead, I used black fish tank filters cut to size in a cigar-shaped fliter housing as an in line filter with coffee drip paper also cut to shape as a barrier in between 3 black filters on the inlet to the main filter. After a month or so I examined inline filter and the coffee drip paper did catch some algae, when I also examined the Sea Gull filter element it also was green with algae, this was after 8 months use.
Old 22-08-2019, 00:35   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Actually, I meant filtering while filling the tank.

Yes, about that. A little more, perhaps, depending on the water. It should smell no stronger than tap water, and you can get test strips at the aquarium store.

The bleach will also help keep the Seagull element clean by eating biological material off the surface.
Old 22-08-2019, 02:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Make certain you use "UNSCENTED" bleach, not the perfumed stuff.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 04:21   #6

Oh, I did not know there was a carbon filtering attachment/addaptor? One can use to fill up? I will check it do you have a brand referance and does it slow down the water flow from the marina dock hose?

I have a water tester town water at my marina is around 125 pmm. Also thanks for the tip re the liza test strip. Will buy some.

Many thanks, most helpful.

Kryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Actually, I meant filtering while filling the tank.

Yes, about that. A little more, perhaps, depending on the water. It should smell no stronger than tap water, and you can get test strips at the aquarium store.

The bleach will also help keep the Seagull element clean by eating biological material off the surface.
Old 22-08-2019, 07:22   #7

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Green algae need light to grow. Opaque tanks and piping may help reduce the growth.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 07:24   #8

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Green algae need light to grow. Opaque tanks and piping may help reduce growth.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 07:40   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Bleach....sodium hypochlorite. In the correct ratio it will kill the bacteria etc without harming you. Emphasis on correct ratio.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 08:16   #10

Boat: Beneteau 41.1

Try with vinegar. It's cheap, does not cause accidents when spilled over clothing and keeps fresh water tanks clean.
JorgeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 08:48   #11

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

To have pristine water on your boat takes a bit of effort beyond just a filter at the sink. Here’s what I do. Clean out the take with a strong solution of bleach. i dont have the ratio of water to bleach handy but thats easy to look up online. For my 120 gallon tank, I think it was 1 1/2 cups bleach. Remove your seagull filter cartidge to keep it from getting clogged. Empty the tank. If you have an inspection hatch, open it and take a look in tank. If fouled, try to scrub it out. Add some water to tank, mix up bleach and water in a bucket to make a slightly diluted solution and carefully pour into tank. this makes the bleach mix more evenly. Fill tank to full and let sit for at least 30 min. Pump out tank and refill using a 5 micron sediment pre filter on the hose. About half way full, add some hydrogen peroxide to neutralize bleach. Do not use vinegar as it can promote algae growth, I’m told. Pump the tank again and refill using sediment filter. Add a small dose of hydrogen peroxide half way thru. Now you can replace the carbon filter and enjoy great tasting water. I do the bleach treatment once or twice per year and get no algae. Keep tank full by topping off. If putting boat in storage or if freezing conditions are expected, empty the tank and blow out the lines with compressed air or suck them out with a wet/dry vac.

My sailing friends who come aboard raise an eyebrow when i pour a glass of water out of the tap. Then i tell them how i treat the water and suggest they taste it. Nuf said!

Good luck.
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 09:09   #12

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Green algae cannot gorw in a dark place , the GREEN gives it away
Green algae have chloroplasts that contain chlorophyll a and b which work in sunlight,
Hence why if your pool filter goes and its a hot sunny climate green alge grows

There are many other nasties that grow in water and the solutions given help, Milton, Bleach etc rinsed through with a good filter , and if you really are scared a good UV filter after the sediment filter will give you pure drinking water
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 09:21   #13

I have been using Milton in my water tanks for over 50 years and never had a problem. Milton is Sodium Hypochlorite as used in babies feed bottles and Industrial Cleaning of production lines.
You obviously have light somewhere and I would suggest that you cover the tank with black plastic and tape it such that no light can get to the tank. Similarly make sure that any other items in the line such as plastic tubing and filters are similarly covered if at all transparent.
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 09:22   #14

For Chlorine to REALLY work well, it is all about CONTACT time, ie... time allowed to sit.

If able, let it set with a really strong solution for an hour or more. Then make sure to clean it out and rinse WELL!.
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 09:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
Green algae need light to grow. Opaque tanks and piping may help reduce growth.
I conquer.

3 drops of iodine is best.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, tanks, water