Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 15:27   #1

Boat: Norseman 447
Importing Food / Drink to Indonesia

Hi all,

I'm provisioning the boat here in Cairns, Aus. this weekend for a 3-1/2 month cruise to Indo, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. I'm planning on bringing 10 cases of wine/booze and 50 kg's of beef/chicken. Am I going to have any problems bring the stuff thru those countrys? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Hope to see some of you along the way.

Previously posted in Meets and Greets. Sorry! I would delete if I knew how!

Cheers, Greg
Old 24-08-2011, 15:50   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Importing food/drink to Indonesia?

The food is OK

I can't remember if we took any alcohol. I don't think we did.

I can't remember anyone saying they had alcohol confiscated...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 16:13   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Importing Food / Drink to Indonesia

I am not up to speed with the current situation but 15 years back we had cartons and cartons and cartons of beer on board plus several cartons of spirits, no issue at all with Indonesia although they did remove a carton of cigarettes; and would have removed more if we had let them!

They wanted a carton of smokes each (and there were 5 or so them). We replied that we had only provisioned enough for "a carton for the boss man at each port we were intending to visit" so the head guy stepped in and took his carton and the others on board that day went without their smokes.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 00:26   #4

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

When we were in Indonesia in 2009 we had aboard about 20 cases total of beer and wine. No problems. I don't remember even being asked about alcohol onboard in either Indonesia or Malaysia. Singapore, OTOH, does ask and does care. All forms of alcohol are expensive in Singapore due to high taxation on those items.

None of these countries asked about meat onboard. The only countries we have visited that cared about meat were New Zealand, New Caledonia and Australia.
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 13:39   #5

Boat: Norseman 447

BeBe, We plan on having about 20 cases also (mostly wine) and I was wondering what they did in Singapore? Did you declare it? Did they lock it up? Our wine cellars are kind of hidden under forward bunks. I don't want to be fined!!

Greg
Old 28-08-2011, 14:10   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

But food and drink are said to be inexpensive there. Just probably take what you need for the passage and then buy fresh locally.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 18:23   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
But food and drink are said to be inexpensive there. Just probably take what you need for the passage and then buy fresh locally.

b.
Wine is not cheap. Nor is the selection good.
If you drink wine it does need to be taken in..

Old 28-08-2011, 19:04   #8

Looked on noosite for Indonesia , "It is also advisable to declare any alcohol and have Customs seal that in a locker too."

One thing I noticed for all of these countries is their intolerence for drugs of any kind unless you can prove they are prescribed by a physican(includes over the counter drugs). They warn you about the death penalty and it has apparently been carried out. That got my attention, I sure wouldn't want to die for a bottle of asprin.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 06:26   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjrichter View Post
That got my attention, I sure wouldn't want to die for a bottle of asprin.
Not Asprin, but some pain killers that may be over the counter in your country, but not in others. Like Panadeine Forte for example. Its a good drug to have on board a boat for more serious accidents and is a mix of paracetamol and codeine. In some countries its fine:
Australia
Products containing up to 12.5 mg of codeine per tablet are available over-the-counter in Australia

USA illegal to buy or possess without a license or prescription

Greece completely illegal to sell in Greece. (unconfirmed) (last updated Jun 14 2010)

Some cruiser 10 years ago or more was jailed in Greece for a few tablets.

On a better note, these things stay in the first aid kit from voyage planning so getting a prescription isn't too hard at home.
The other good point is we have never had anyone inspect the First Aid kit!

Mark

Old 30-08-2011, 01:02   #10

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

In Singapore boats are pretty much required to go into marinas. Raffles handles all clearance matters but charges a lot for this mandatory service. We went into 1 Degree 15 marina each of the 5 times we entered Singapore. Immigration came out to our boat and cleared us to enter the marina. The marina (for a very nominal fee) handled clearance with Customs. We were never asked about alcohol on board. We believe in 'don't ask, don't tell.' The marina staff filled out all paperwork to clear Customs. I must assume they answered a minimal quantity to the question about alcohol on board. Contrary to some old rumors, Customs does not come out and inspect your boat; so you really have nothing to worry about as long as you are not selling beer and wine to the locals.

Mark's mention of meds is important. We keep a printed list of all meds in our med kit in with our clearance paperwork. None are narcotic by USA standards, but some might be prohibited by another country. When stocking our kit I made sure that we did not carry morphine, but obtained Torodol instead. Several countries have inquired about medications onboard. We hand them the list and so far that has been the end of the matter.

BTW, as always, cruiser rumors abound. In Marmaris in April we were told by more than 1 sailor who had been there for years that it is illegal in Greece to have ibuprofen aboard. It seems that the Panadeine Forte got changed to Panadol which then got changed to plain old ibuprofen as the rumor circulated. Just keep a printed list and you will have no problems.
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 01:22   #11

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon

Hi Greg,
If you are concerned about Singapore, the alternative is to anchor at the Danga Bay Marina across the causeway in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. They can do clearance for you and alcohol/food isn't a problem. Also very handy for trips to Singapore - bus to immigration goes from the carpark and from Immigration it is a fast busride across to central Singapore.

We try to get away with "Ship stores" in the alcohol section. Note also that Labuan, Langkawi and Tioman are duty free ports. The alcohol prices here in Langkawi for beer and spirits are amazingly cheap, but I wouldn't rely on it for wine.
Cheers,
Jill
Old 30-08-2011, 02:05   #12

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Mate, just dont let the Indo's see the stuff, they treat cruisers like floating ATM's, otherwise, nobody cares. Hide your sunnies as well!

Realy hard to buy vegemite here in sumatra! Have to get it flown in via singapore/medan/sibolga/beta foods in sibolga, same for spaghetti sauce, olive oil, rolled oats, whole meal bread flour, yeast, butter.... all that good stuff.

As already stated, Langkawi is a drunks paradise, there is a wharehouse where they have broken cartons of scotch whisky/aussie wines/french brandy etc...all to be had for a few ringaats!!!? the ciggys are so cheap, 1 carton for 8 usd, but they have horrible pictures of cancers on them.
Have a great time.
Fair winds from Keith.
Old 30-08-2011, 02:25   #13

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Greg, the customs crew up at Pula Weh, top of Sumatra, in Banda Aceh, have started this "green form" you fill in for your medical kit et al. Supposed to carry it with you for officials to inspect.

They charge you for it and sometimes threaten to confiscate the med kit if you "look funny", when they ask about it. Best to have a list written out. Nothing that money cant fix!

I stay away from them and check in at Sibolga, Edward there is great at immigrassi, and the port guys do it all in 15 minutes.

Stay away from "agents" or "helpers", they will stitch you up, avoid them like the plague!!! They make problems, like import duties for your yacht, bonds, speed up fees. Take your own time to find the immigration, then the port authorities, be happy and polite, shave, dress neatly and take a few gifts, american ciggys? They are lovely people in Indo, but soooooo currupt. Any problems, 200,000 rups will solve it! Take a female crew member along and they will be dazzled by her and forget all about you and your boat!

Malaysia, they dont give a damm! Best country for checking in and out from I have found! They don't care if you dont have a port clearance from your last port of call!

Thailand, much the same, but restrictive visa laws and they charge overtime and check out fees, never come to the boat!

Singapore, can't answer for?

Safe sailing mate.
Old 31-08-2011, 22:24   #14

Location: Auckland New Zealand {land of the long white cloud}
Boat: William Garden Transworld 41

On the subject of alcohol on board,.. why not make your own?? buy the beer or wine kits that make up 20 ltrs of your favourite tipple. ferments in days in the tropics.Cheers.

Tags
Indonesia, food, indonesia