Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 13:03   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
In Praise of Pressure Cookers

The other pressure cooker thread drifted so, for those of you who are still wavering about whether or not to get one, it's a quick cooking saucepan that, for many recipes, is faster than a microwave. (1 potato in a microwave, 4 minutes; 10 potatoes in a microwave, 40 minutes; one to 10 potatoes in a pressure cooker, 10 minutes.) A pressure cooker, used with or without pressure, also serves as a stovetop oven, canner and steamer. Underway, with the lid locked on, it won't leak even if capsized.

Look in old cookbooks and you'll find fascinating recipes for steamed puddings and breads. You can improvise a steamer ( like maybe a coffee can). I found a real one one in a junk shop, a little pot with a vented, lock-on lid for making steamed puddings. Try Boston Brown Bread, plum pudding etc. etc. In the old days these foods steamed for hours so you'll have to guess-and-gosh about times under pressure, altho some old pressure cooker cookbooks have recipes for steamed puddings. Never heard of Spotted Dick? Look it up.
Old 21-01-2011, 13:31   #2

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Janet--

You are a wise person! I have pressure cookers at home but not on our boat. I went with SS pots but that was just my choice. Heck, I even use the pot itself when making soups & stews with the cover latched but without the relief valve in place. The cooking process is fast even without the relief valve installed when I prefer not using pressure.

I am still salivating after reading your fine post!

Foggy

EDIT: Janet---I am so impressed with your post I am going to send the $10 for your recipes!!!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 13:49   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i make my pozole in the pan part of mine and use the pressure part for stuff i like to hurry with --saves lots of propane.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:50   #4

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Re: In Praise of Pressure Cookers

Howdy,

I'm just about to buy a pressure cooker and would like to use it for pretty much everything - including some canning as well - however am unsure about which to purchase.

I have a two burner propane stove and the pot holders stretch to say 12-13" diameter.

Having done a little research - it appears that the pressure regulation can be done via a spring or a little weight. I think the "little weight" option looks to be more robust and easier to clean.

Any thoughts on size/brand etc?

Thanks muchly.
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:56   #5

i use presto. works for me.
Old 14-06-2011, 18:20   #6

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i use presto. works for me.
Yep, I'm leaning towards a Presto or a Fagor Futuro.

...now if only I could find a place which ships Prestos internationally...
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 20:07   #7

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

it isnt just the pressure cooking part that is useful. I had my one-pot dinner in the pressure cooker on a passage when the boat took an especially violent lee lurch and launched the pot across the cabin. It bounced off a crew member and smashed against the chart table before falling to the floor. After making sure the crew was OK all we had to do was put it back on the stove and finish heating it up because the locked-on top stayed put and nothing was spilled. Sometimes you really want to keep that stew contained.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 20:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
it isnt just the pressure cooking part that is useful. I had my one-pot dinner in the pressure cooker on a passage when the boat took an especially violent lee lurch and launched the pot across the cabin. It bounced off a crew member and smashed against the chart table before falling to the floor. After making sure the crew was OK all we had to do was put it back on the stove and finish heating it up because the locked-on top stayed put and nothing was spilled. Sometimes you really want to keep that stew contained.
so funny--but reallly does happen..LOL
Old 14-06-2011, 20:48   #9

Had used a 6 quart Fago and Presto on board. Now use 4 quart Presto takes up less room in storage and uses less water when I use it for pasta. I would not leave the dock without one on board.

Tags
ais, cookers