Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 07:37   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
installing my force 10 range

Funny, I was just this morning talking about removing our stove to clean around it and the Wife doesn’t want to.
Island Packet is different than a lot of boats cause they install a very heavy SS pipe in front of the stove with brackets on either side that you can presumably clip your self into, although we don’t have a belt, and if the weather is that bad, I can’t see us cooking anyway, but this pipe has to be removed to get the stove out, or you have to lift the entire stove over the pipe, something that maybe I could have done 20 years ago, but not likely now.

Anyway, I don’t have SS sheet surrounding our stove, but I think for ease of cleaning it may not be a bad idea, grease cleans off of SS so much more easily than most surfaces.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	175136
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:58   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: installing my force 10 range

I lined my opening with ss primarily for cleaning...
I also put graduated locking so i can lock it in place at various angles of list and have it stay put when the heavy pot wants to tip it...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:40   #18

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Anyway, I don’t have SS sheet surrounding our stove, but I think for ease of cleaning it may not be a bad idea, grease cleans off of SS so much more easily than most surfaces.
Attachment 175136
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I lined my opening with ss primarily for cleaning...
I also put graduated locking so i can lock it in place at various angles of list and have it stay put when the heavy pot wants to tip it...
On my previous boat I had the 3 enclosure sides around the stove sheeted with stainless. I wish I knew....

It is thought to be easier to clean, but after some time the salt air creates rust spots all over and they look worse than the occasional spill/food stain. So I had to remove the stove more often than I wanted to clean, polish and protect. On my current boat I painted the ply enclosure with white appliance epoxy.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:40   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
On my previous boat I had the 3 enclosure sides around the stove sheeted with stainless. I wish I knew....

It is thought to be easier to clean, but after some time the salt air creates rust spots all over and they look worse than the occasional spill/food stain. So I had to remove the stove more often than I wanted to clean, polish and protect. On my current boat I painted the ply enclosure with white appliance epoxy.
So far so good.. but i'll sure keep my eye open for signs of that.. thanks
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 18:34   #20

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

Here is another photo of mine. I think 30 or 20 inches clearance is required above. I guess that means the cover must be off when using the oven
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote