Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 14:22   #76

Boat: AMF Sunfish, Hobie One,(Holder 14) Rhodes Conntenetal 22 and Sea-Ray, Ski Ray 180.
Re: Keep or toss Toaster Oven and Microwave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
We have and use both. It depends on your space, power supply, and usage.

Amapola
What power rating is your inverter. I have a 1500 W one I hooked to my car battery but would not kick on the PIC. The PIC is rated less than 1500 W, so I think it needs an additional BURST to start it up. I am going to try using my mini convection oven with the 1500 W inverter
William A. Ward
puregeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:08   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregeorge View Post
Amapola
What power rating is your inverter. I have a 1500 W one I hooked to my car battery but would not kick on the PIC. The PIC is rated less than 1500 W, so I think it needs an additional BURST to start it up. I am going to try using my mini convection oven with the 1500 W inverter
Is it pure sine wave?

An induction cooktop is an energy efficient device but it needs all the other bits to make it work away from the dock.
Big battery bank, alternators, inverters (pure sine wave), solar, maybe generator as well.

However, I would imagine that a 1500w victron inverter would run a single induction cooktop which would probably on high draw around 2000-2200 watts, so you may need to run it below the highest setting, on the medium setting, it probably draws around 500w once it has reached temp. Don't run it on boost if it has this feature.

I know from experience that a 2200w electric jug works with a 1500w victron inverter as these inverters have a lot of overload protection built in. It is probably not recommended but I did this for 2 years with no probs.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 21:01   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by puregeorge View Post

Amapola
That's probably due to voltage drop. Even a truck battery - say 110 amp/hours - will have a problem putting g out 1500 watts, which is 125 amps at 12v or more than 1C. The voltage will drop right off, amps will spike up, and the inverter will shut down. You need more batteries for that work; it's nit the inverter's fault.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 21:21   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Well other then a short 6 month period between boats, long ago, I've not had a microwave, toaster oven, breadmaker, etc ,etc in 10 years. OK I've never had a bread maker. Gee a bowl and a few bread pans in the oven work lovely. But then I make my cookies from scratch too.

On the small sailboat away from the dock, a propane three burner stove/oven is for me pretty much all I need. Well and the propane too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven