Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 15:52   #16

Re: Kerosene, Propane, or Other for Cooking

I have used kerosene for 12 years with no problems. Downwind Marine in San Diego used to carry all of these parts as well as Aladdin lamp parts etc. I got a lifetime supply when I was there years ago. I have heard he sold out and do not know if the new owners will stock these older parts anymore. He was the place to go for anything obsolete. Ed
baja33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 15:57   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"We have an ooold Shipmate."
That was a good stove. Made by the Richmond Ring Company. I think their main business was making piston rings. How they got started making kerosene stoves is a mystery.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:30   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Contrarian alternative: electric.

Induction cooktop, combo convection oven/microwave, slow cooker, pressure cooker, toaster, coffee maker, etc. Complemented by AC/DC fridges.

It's easier for us to use the boat's diesel supply to run the genset when required, and we have the recharge batteries 2x/day anyway.

I presume some inverters would power some of that stuff, to, at least for occasional use.

Realize this may not work for many cruisers, but since we carry 520 gals of diesel... and since diesel is relatively common at fuel docks pretty much everywhere... messing around with other fuels seems onerous.

-Chris
Old 06-09-2014, 19:13   #19

I converted from propane to diesel/kerosene in 2005. The stove I chose is a wallas. It requires 12vdc as it uses an eletric pump and fan. In return you get an automatic lighting stove with ceramic cooktop lsrge enough for two pans that is usabke in 5 min with NO LIGHTING. ALSO when the stainleds lid is closed (like a laptop computer) the stove becomes a clean air forced air furnace. All exhaust is vented outside so there are NO FUMES, it has run faithfully since installed.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
bluetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 21:05   #20

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

I love my induction cooktop.water boils so fast.
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, propane