Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 07:01   #46
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Ketogenesis friendly provisioning without refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post

Tvp?

TVP is textured vegitable protein i.e. soy meat 'replacement'. Revolting ulta processed crap used in most canned meat foods because its very light. So it is often in tbe Less Than 2% in the ingredients but when added to water will increase but by 10 times. So you get 20% of bulk in the can that's bad for you.

Quote:

Textured or texturized vegetable protein (TVP), also known as textured soy protein (TSP), soy meat, or soya chunks is a defatted soy flour product, a by-product of extracting soybean oil.[1] It is often used as a meat analogue or meat extender. It is quick to cook, with a protein content far greater than that which comes from meat.[2]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:27   #47

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
If an egg has been washed, it needs to be refrigerated.

All commercially-sold eggs in the U.S.have been washed.

If not washed, and never refrigerated, eggs are safe for a couple of weeks. Once washed or refrigerated, you have to keep them refrigerated.
That's a myth of long standing. I used to cruise without refrigeration in Florida and kept eggs for as long as a month in the summer time with no problems.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:37   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

You can easily buy canned butter as well as canned anything so canned food purchase and storage is no brainer. Just store it in dry places and you are fine.

Imho the major challenges with canned stuff are:

- preservatives (there are many ways to can food, not all are good for ya),
- taste (OK, not an issue with meats/fats I guess).

So. If you are into cans, then it is a massive 'yes, you can' ;-) response.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:27   #49

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
TVP is textured vegitable protein i.e. soy meat 'replacement'. Revolting ulta processed crap used in most canned meat foods because its very light. So it is often in tbe Less Than 2% in the ingredients but when added to water will increase but by 10 times. So you get 20% of bulk in the can that's bad for you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text...etable_protein
ugh, gross! I guess it'd be pointless to ask if it has all the essential amino acids that real meat has.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:31   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You can easily buy canned butter as well as canned anything so canned food purchase and storage is no brainer. Just store it in dry places and you are fine.

b.
Haha good one I dunno how easy it'll be though.

When I was in the UK in 2009 the grocery stores only had candy and edible garbage for sale. I might have found some cheese or something resembling actual food had I brought a magnifying glass, haha. Suppose I will have to go across the channel and visit a French supermarch
Old 12-04-2017, 12:32   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
Haha good one I dunno how easy it'll be though.

When I was in the UK in 2009 the grocery stores only had candy and edible garbage for sale. I might have found some cheese or something resembling actual food had I brought a magnifying glass, haha. Suppose I will have to go across the channel and visit a French supermarche for the real good stuff. Ugh leaving france withoug bags and bags of pain au chocolate will be an exercise in will-power hah.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:38   #52

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
If an egg has been washed, it needs to be refrigerated.

All commercially-sold eggs in the U.S.have been washed.

If not washed, and never refrigerated, eggs are safe for a couple of weeks. Once washed or refrigerated, you have to keep them refrigerated.
Not true!!!

You do not have to refrigerate eggs that have been previously refrigerated. We have bought US eggs that were refrigerated and did not put them in the refrigerator on the boat (in Florida and Caribbean). The longest we went was about 2 months, but then the eggs loose their solidity and the yolks no longer hold together when trying to fry or separate.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:43   #53

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I agree on the regrigerated eggs! Even the washed eggs hold up just fine out of the fridge. Buy the freshest you can and minimize heat exposure, rotate (flip) the eggs and they will last a long time. We kept our in the garage, 90 ° on a summers day.
Old 12-04-2017, 15:20   #54

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
That's a myth of long standing. I used to cruise without refrigeration in Florida and kept eggs for as long as a month in the summer time with no problems.

Fabbian
If it's a myth, it's a myth that the FDA is propagating:

https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesfo.../ucm077342.htm

Quote:
  • Buy eggs only if sold from a refrigerator or refrigerated case.
  • Open the carton and make sure that the eggs are clean and the shells are not cracked.
  • Store promptly in a clean refrigerator at a temperature of 40° F or below.
  • Use a refrigerator thermometer to check.
  • Store eggs in their original carton and use them within 3 weeks for best quality.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 15:31   #55

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
If it's a myth, it's a myth that the FDA is propagating:

https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesfo.../ucm077342.htm
The FDA has chosen an extreme stance on food safety in regards to eggs. All over the world eggs are not refrigerated. Mexico, who recently claimed to be the world's 3rd largest egg producer, sells eggs sitting in the middle of the isle. There are stores that sell eggs cold but mostly to appeal to gringos, not because it's needed.
Old 12-04-2017, 18:02   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Yeah Ive seen it in stores, it looked gross to be honest but I suppose I should at least try it. I usually buy butter from grass-fed cows (though the language barrier makes it tricky ) so i'd prefer to have that if possible because it's nothing like the garbage most stores pass off as butter. Completely different taste/nutritional profile.
Definitely try it. It tastes better than regular butter in my experience
Old 12-04-2017, 19:51   #57

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Great Thread!
Keep in mind that where onboard you store things can have a bit inpact on it's lifespan. Since lower = cooler. Also, there are quite a number of long shelf life protein sources if one goes looking, especially in the realms of old school ways of preserving things. Or health foods like TVP, & similar. Plus, fresh protein rocks; whether it's fresh seafood. Be it fish, shellfish, or other. And in port it's usually not tough to either shop for your own, or "acquire" it via other means. Even by barter, if you can make some good local conatacts, for meat on the hoof. Assuming you're not squeemish about butchery.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 20:14   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
The FDA has chosen an extreme stance on food safety in regards to eggs. All over the world eggs are not refrigerated. Mexico, who recently claimed to be the world's 3rd largest egg producer, sells eggs sitting in the middle of the isle. There are stores that sell eggs cold but mostly to appeal to gringos, not because it's needed.
Submariners eat eggs. Eggs that were loaded aboard a few days prior to underway. That came from a farm. And were washed there. And then sold to the government. Agents of which sent them to the base or tender. Who then filled the submarine's request for eggs. How long does that take? A couple of weeks, at least.

The submarine doesn't refrigerate the eggs, but puts the boxes of 30 dozen eggs in a cool, dry place. Where they stay until the last one is cooked about two months later.

During the last week at sea, if any eggs remain, it's best to break the egg into a bowl or saucer before putting it in the pan. The good ones are a little runny, as ReMeTau said above. The bad ones are repulsive, and the smell would gag a maggot. Floating the egg in water is a good, but not sure fire method of checking for spoilage.

We have chickens and ducks on our farm, and never refrigerate the eggs unless they are cooked. If they are dirty when we collect them we wipe them with a damp paper towel.

If we have an excess and our neighbors aren't in need of eggs, when eggs get over a month old, my wife boils a couple of dozen and puts them in the refrigerator. We eat them on salads and as a snack. Sweet...
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 21:01   #59

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

fryewe, keep in mind that on a submarine it's quite easy to find loads of space to store things without refrigeration where temps hover between 40-55 deg. F
Since at any depth, the ocean's quite cool. Being pretty much a constant 40 deg F at the bottom, anywhere deep. And that the average temp on sub's is about 60 deg F anyway, due to low ambient outside temp's necessitating heating in most living spaces.
So the onboard environment has little in common with you're average sailboat.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 20:04   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Assuming you're not squeemish about butchery.
Nah not squeamish at all. Not sure I'd do a very good job as a butcher though but I'd give it a go.

How hard is it to catch fish while cruising. Sure seems like a lot of em in the Caribbean.

Would love to try making fish biltong though i suppose the birds would try to steal it while it was drying.

Tags
provisioning, refrigeration