Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 07:36   #46

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Limes For Cruisers!

We use True Lime crystallized lime. It tastes great and is available in bulk from Amazon. We use it in drinks and in recipes calling for lime.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:35   #47

Send a message via Skype™ to yachtagent

You can find Lime in Montenegro all year long. It's imported. The price depends on the season - from 4,50 to 8,30 € / kg (when a lemon season from October to April is cheaper and from May to September the price is higher).
yachtagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:01   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, yachtagent.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:55   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Limes For Cruisers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Dammit, Zee, you have ruined my day... all I can think about is ceviche and all the other wonderful dishes we enjoyed i n Mexico, and which are so bloody expensive and difficult to reproduce here in Oz!

Grrr...

Jim
aaaahhh but you have made mine h ah ah aha ha
i love messing up folks days in a good way.

i have recipe all you have to do is catch a fishie and strip it of its fleshiness into a dish. scooping is ok as it is to be small bits. .add limon, tomato, cebolla, aho, cilantro. donot forget some kind of flame forming heat--ha ha ha chile--- minced. salt to taste. more limon. store in fridge and yummmmm......
for entertainment, get a strong healthy ozstrayan to taste test for ye. hahahahaha
for less heat--remove seeds and inner stringy stuff from chile. then eat a dark chocolate milky way midnite bar. yummmmminess with the chile oil on your hands
btw--sweet after ingesting chile makes chile less painful
hoping you can find the ingredients reasonably priced--only issue may be the cilantro
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 14:13   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
aaaahhh but you have made mine h ah ah aha ha
i love messing up folks days in a good way.

i have recipe all you have to do is catch a fishie and strip it of its fleshiness into a dish. scooping is ok as it is to be small bits. .add limon, tomato, cebolla, aho, cilantro. donot forget some kind of flame forming heat--ha ha ha chile--- minced. salt to taste. more limon. store in fridge and yummmmm......
for entertainment, get a strong healthy ozstrayan to taste test for ye. hahahahaha
for less heat--remove seeds and inner stringy stuff from chile. then eat a dark chocolate milky way midnite bar. yummmmminess with the chile oil on your hands
btw--sweet after ingesting chile makes chile less painful
hoping you can find the ingredients reasonably priced--only issue may be the cilantro
Zee, there's no problem with recipes nor with knowledge of how to use them... but getting the ingredients is often difficult. Cilantro, rather surprisingly, is fairly common, but they are insistent about calling it coriander. There are enough Asian immigrants here to keep that herb in good supply. And there are some chilies in most supermarkets. they are of indifferent quality and limited varieties. Usually some long "Thai" varieties, probably Cayannes, sometimes Jalepenos and so on. But never Serranos or Poblanos or any of the other ones that are so good.

The thing that is just unavailable is tomatillos... and I love chile verde. I make a fair example using only salsa verde which is sometimes available, but fresh tomatillos would be so much better!

Anyhow, I struggle onward, but your talk of ceveche did set off some longings (and waiting for me to catch a fish can get tedious!).

Jim
Old 12-12-2016, 15:53   #51

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Zee, there's no problem with recipes nor with knowledge of how to use them... but getting the ingredients is often difficult. Cilantro, rather surprisingly, is fairly common, but they are insistent about calling it coriander. There are enough Asian immigrants here to keep that herb in good supply. And there are some chilies in most supermarkets. they are of indifferent quality and limited varieties. Usually some long "Thai" varieties, probably Cayannes, sometimes Jalepenos and so on. But never Serranos or Poblanos or any of the other ones that are so good.

The thing that is just unavailable is tomatillos... and I love chile verde. I make a fair example using only salsa verde which is sometimes available, but fresh tomatillos would be so much better!

Anyhow, I struggle onward, but your talk of ceveche did set off some longings (and waiting for me to catch a fish can get tedious!).

Jim
If you appreciate awesome ceviche then visit Peru...not usually a cruising destination, but the ceviche there has been elevated to a culinary art form.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161004_133202.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	137960
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 16:15   #52

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
We use True Lime crystallized lime. It tastes great and is available in bulk from Amazon. We use it in drinks and in recipes calling for lime.

Great discussion on the types and availability of citrus fruit and cruising. [My personal favorite mix includes Polynesian Polysemous in a very special Margarita. -- but that is a bit off thread...]

But YES! We also carry True Lime and True Lemon for those times when availability and freshness is not. First used when I was deployed -- and we had fish (frozen) but no lemon!

Roses Lime Syrup is a good assist for mixing drinks.

Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote