Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2022, 19:16   #121

Re: Live aboards: what kind of oven do you have or wish you had?

Several,comments:

1) We have this US Panasonic model. Microwave, broil, convection bake, air fry. We like it a lot. I believe there’s a 230v version.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/panason...?skuId=6408284

2) Most boat/rv induction stoves have multiple low wattage “burners” so the electric system can handle them all turned on together. Many take longer to boil a pot of water than propane. We have a single inexpensive portable 2000 watt induction plate sitting on the counter beside our propane stove. Use whichever makes sense. Often both.

3) we now cook most of our meat and fish with a sous vide. Uses less battery power. Doesn't heat up the cabin. Much better tasting food that’s cooked perfectly every time.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 07:16   #122

I bought a GN Espace, and it is a nifty device. Super easy clean, broiler is bomb diggety, and oven, you know… works.

I did learn that US gas regulator is at lower spec than EU, so had to adjust to get correct pressure to the stove
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 07:28   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Several,comments:

1) We have this US Panasonic model. Microwave, broil, convection bake, air fry. We like it a lot. I believe there’s a 230v version.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/panason...?skuId=6408284

2) Most boat/rv induction stoves have multiple low wattage “burners” so the electric system can handle them all turned on together. Many take longer to boil a pot of water than propane. We have a single inexpensive portable 2000 watt induction plate sitting on the counter beside our propane stove. Use whichever makes sense. Often both.

3) we now cook most of our meat and fish with a sous vide. Uses less battery power. Doesn't heat up the cabin. Much better tasting food that’s cooked perfectly every time.
I use a single burner nuwave2 and in testing it only added about 5% to 7% to the time to boil water over my propane cooktop .
The key for me was the conversion to lifepo4.
Old 04-03-2022, 15:19   #124

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaterman View Post
In the appropriate climate you can't beat the Dickinson.
With the oven control rod pulled up the heat from the firebox goes across the top, down the right-hand side, across the bottom, and up the back.
Since the firebox is adjacent to the ovens left side the oven heats on 5 surfaces.
It's wonderful. In comparison, the ovens in the electric and propane stoves are but fussy toys.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 17:09   #125

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry I'm late to the party, here, but this is the stove I wanted: a GN Espace Ocean chef. Here's a link to a one off that has one installed: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...47499-104.html

Ann
Old 15-10-2022, 19:40   #126

I call it frankenstove. I have a ninja max 10 I believe air fryer, oven, broil, dehydrate... Other fiddly things. And a drop in induction. I simply stripped out my old nat gas stove and mounted in the electric bits. Spent..... 350 ish on the project.. the induction hob I chose because it fit, same with the ninja max 10. Yes those are electric motors baking in the oven.... A boat sank and the cap gave me some wet bits if I could retrieve his jewelry and bullion. Worked out well for both of us. Gotta take the fence off to the welder soon so cooking underway gets safer. We generally eat cold unless it's nice. The gimble needed a few lbs of lead attached to rebalance it as the oven is a little deeper, but I love that. Everything about it I'm happy with. Needed separate breakers for the hob and the oven cuz they are hungry. Your not slow cooking on an air fryer though. It burns 85 ah of 24v DC an hr. Thankfully it cooks potatoes in 35 mins. And is big enough for steak pork or chicken alongside. I've got a family of four to feed. If we are power broke for whatever reason (read mismanagement) no potatoes! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20221007-WA0023.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	265819
henleyhale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven