Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2012, 09:56   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Long Life Butter....

The canned butter looks like a great Idea!! Im gonna try that soon ! We have always carried canned Corn beef, not hash altho we carry that also! but good old fashion corned beef. The best I ever had came from OZ, don't remember the brand, but got it in Samoa in the 70s by the case! man it was some good never got as good since! wish my memory was better LOL Also carry cooked bacon comes in 5 lb packages from the local discount store keeps forever just put in refer after opening. We can our own fish and some meat never bought any of the meat shown here but could work if ya have room LOL we do like to EAT so we will do a little work so we can !! just our 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 11:10   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I haven't tried it, but was told that regular salted butter (salt being important) will hold for a very long time if simply immersed in a sealed jar of vegetable oil. Anyone tried that?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 11:25   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I haven't tried it, but was told that regular salted butter (salt being important) will hold for a very long time if simply immersed in a sealed jar of vegetable oil. Anyone tried that?
I keep butter in the counter in a butter bell for weeks at a time. It is an inverted bell that uses a water lock.

Using oils for preserving tends to be discouraged as it can help set up the environment for botulism to happen, though the precautions always seem to come up when someone wants to home infuse olive oil with herbs or garlic.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 11:32   #19

Boat: 1982 Oday 34

So I guess once you open the canned butter, you have to refrigerate it just like regular butter?
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 11:39   #20

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
So I guess once you open the canned butter, you have to refrigerate it just like regular butter?
Pretty much the case, particularly if you live in a warm climate. Otherwise it turns into a runny mess like regular butter. Up here where it's fairly cold, it's not so much a problem. A covered butter dish or ceramic butter crock is sufficient

Le Creuset Butter Crock, Red