Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2006, 08:03   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
For what it's worth...

We have two refer units on our boat. An original FrigoBoat--1986 era and a mid-90's era Sea Frost for our freezer (on a 1986 Beneteau First 42). The person we bought the boat from drilled holes in the top edges of the boxes and injected foam insulation around both so they are well insulated. Inside the factory lids, there are second clear plastic lids that we set 1-1/2" closed cell foam cover pads on--the pads having been wrapped in pieces of silver mylar film cut from survival "blankets" sold by West Marine. Both the refer and the freezer will freeze bottled water--or lettace--rock solid over night with the thermostats turned down too much. We usualy keep the freezer set at 7 (out of a possible 10) and the refer set between 4 and 5. The freezer easily keeps a gallon tub of ice-cream, or a box of ice-cream bars or popcicles, solid (which makes us the most popular boat in an anchorage when my daughter invites the kids over for Ice cream cones!).

Generally we put bottles of water and GatorAid in the Freezer, next to the plates, until they're nearly frozen and then transfer them to the refer box for the day. We also have 4 aluminium closed trays with plastic divider inserts that we fill will water and stand in the freezer over night, and then transfer the "cubes" to a zip-lock bag the next morning for drinks and such during the day.

With the insulation we have--and if I can keep the girls out of the freezer too often--we use about 100 amp hours to run both units for 24 hours here in Florida during the summer. Less if we're someplace where we can plug into shore power to run the AC on the boat as the units are both air-cooled.

I think the key to these things is the insulation and particularly at the tops, which I think are frequently overlooked.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 10:19   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jim-
Hay? Interesting way to adulterate ice.<G> Actually, hay was used as a covering to insulate ice in traditional ice-houses, even here in the US, so there's a good chance that hay and ice were not on a barn floor. Although obviously, it pays to be careful about any contamination.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 21:42   #18

Boat: Zack C bayliner 3870
I have the table top ice maker on board our boat and we love it. Just put in water and you have ice in 7 min. If you kept the bin empty, I don't konw how many pounds it would make.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:40   #19

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
We had a big result getting things super cold on our last boat. Got a 20 kg bag of ice and some rock salt from the fish co-op and and a hot carton of beer from the yachtie.

This was to be a two day single handed delivery for me in the middle of summer, so figured a few beers were in order.

A couple of hours later after crossing a notorious bar, decided it was beer o'clock and what the.....an icebox full of frozen and exploded stubbies. Think about 3 out of 24 were OK.

So it is possible to freeze stuff on board.

Dave
Old 06-11-2006, 06:17   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have an Adler Barber (WAECO) and it does keep ice cream frozen. I was surprised as I had thought that holding plates were the way to go. I've had an EZ Kold holding plate fridge for a long time and love the unit but it never kept ice cream. The Adler Barber is an evaporator type with a separate freezer with a spillover to a front opening fridge. My only complaint with this unit is that the fan between the freezer and fridge crapped out ( think it iced up and ruined the little motor) so I've bought a couple of computer fans for replacement.
Old 19-08-2009, 22:00   #21

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Here is one for $169.00 that says it can make ice in 6 minutes!

H

You buy it, and let us all know how well it works.
Faith thanks for the link.
I like it.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 22:12   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

310 AC inverter watts for 15 minutes to make two pounds of ice in a moderate temperature room. (Mentions 60F doesn't mention 95F with humidity.)

Or, some probably some 30 amps out of the 12.5v battery bank for 15 minutes to make the same two pounds of ice?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 23:01   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
We have a small under counter Raritan Icerette on board. Whenever we run the Gen for 2 or 3 hours, it makes up Ice very quickly (about a pound per hour) which we put in Freezer bags to fill any void spaces in our food freezer.

This keeps the food freezer from cycling on very much when on batteries and the Icerette will work on Inverter if we are motorsailing
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 05:46   #24

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
I went to that company that S/V Faith had found and looked at all the portable ice makers they had. Some are pretty reasonably priced:

Portable Ice Maker Models & Small Countertop Ice Makers by EdgeStar, Danby and More

The first model:
KIM210W
Portable Countertop Ice Maker Model KIM210W by Koldfront

makes a bucket of ice in 6-15 minutes with a current draw of only 2.7a. Basically the draw of the navigation lights. It's only 134.10. I think that would be the way to go. The warranty is for 1 year. Free parts for one year and free labor for 90 days.

Well I guess that's my input, hope it helps.

"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 06:07   #25

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I bought one of the portable icemakers a couple of months ago I would say it performs much as advertised fast simple and makes about 10- 12 lbs per day. I is quite large too large for us to use on the boat comfortably.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 21:50   #26

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
I just found out about the portable ice cube maker today, I will get one of these for my boat. I live without refrigeration, have it just don't use it, but I do crave a cold drink now and then. They make a tray of ice in 7 minutes using 300 watts. I imagine I will modify it to eliminate all unnecessary equipment and case from it and it will be about 1/3 the size. Probably it will be about 6x8x10 high. Time will tell. The one I'm looking at is Magic Chef for about $150. But I expect I will find a used one on ebay for much, much less. Home owners often aren't impressed with them after they buy them because they don't keep the ice they just make it, and it immediately starts to melt.
Old 14-09-2009, 06:38   #27

Anyone have a clue on which is more efficient: separate fridge and ice maker, or fridge with a freezer section?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 09:16   #28

Boat: Jason 35
I think I'd like a separate set up. It would make it easier to fit both into the appropriate place in a limited space situation - like a sailboat.
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 18:29   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
They prolly make those machines in Asia... but I can't buy one here!

Anyone flyinig from the USA to Singapore or Malaysia in the next few weeks?

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the thought of the lil <<tinkle>> of a chip of ice hitting a Gin molecule on a steamy tropical afternoon.....

OoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooO

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 19:02   #30

Boat: Jason 35
Easy boy, both hands on the wheel, now.
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote