Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2013, 09:44   #151
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I luv sourdough. Gonna start baking it myself. I already pretty old, what can it hurt?

Hellman's mayo (ref)
Sourdough
Bacon
L Romaine
T You say tomahto

spells Heaven
not cos lettuce, anything but cos. !!!!

Any hints for the sourdough starter, I bake white yeast bread, Ive yet to have a loaf look the same, even more variability with sourdough!!

dave
Old 17-07-2013, 09:54   #152

Boat: Able 50

Getting the sourdough starter culture right is a tough job. So far I have met with naught but failure.

savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 09:54   #153

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

me too , any good ideas for keeping the weevils at bay , had to dump more flour yesterday !!
Nope, just buy small packages
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 09:57   #154
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Nope, just buy small packages
and this was flour I bought in Tescos!

dave
Old 17-07-2013, 10:06   #155

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
me too , any good ideas for keeping the weevils at bay , had to dump more flour yesterday !!
Dave, the problem is that flour often leaves the mill already contaminated with weevil eggs. Freezing will kill the eggs. If you have access to a freezer ashore do this for a week (I have read recommendations from 4-7 days), then store the flour in sealed bins and you will never have a problem. I did this in Crete last winter.

If the bins are not sealed, then put bay leaves with the flour. Weevils HATE bay leaves .
(They can come on board in other food you have bought such as cereals and grains)

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 10:39   #156
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Ah yes of course, after 2 years of living in the US, I discovered they dont actually make or sell bread or anything properly recognisable as bread. what they do sell you are packages of childrens play-doh.

Dave

We have lots of good bread here -- even French bakeries. You can buy the junk if you want, but there's really good bread available.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 10:41   #157
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
By and large this is the reason I make my own when I've for the time

I did that.

It was so good we were ALL gaining way too much weight! I had to stop.

My favorite is brioche. I can't imagine what I would weigh if I ate as much of that as I want.
Old 17-07-2013, 10:42   #158
cruiser

Quote:

I went through that in my bread-baking frenzy. So I through all the flour out, brought new home and put in plastic containers.

Then I saw weevils in the containers.

The STORE had a weevil problem.

Throw your flour out, get fresh at another store and store it in plastic bins.
Old 17-07-2013, 10:45   #159
cruiser

Quote:
not cos lettuce, anything but cos. !!!!

Any hints for the sourdough starter, I bake white yeast bread, Ive yet to have a loaf look the same, even more variability with sourdough!!

dave

You will have more variability with sourdough, because your starter changes over time. That's just part of sour dough. I'm guessing here, but when you have starter you like, put some in the fridge and re-start your sour dough with that (and save some each time) and you might get more variety. If you always leave it out, as recommending, it will keep developing and changing, just as wine changes the longer it's in the barrel.
Old 17-07-2013, 10:51   #160

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Some folks swear by microwaving flour to kill weevils and their eggs. We do not have an on board microwave, so have not tried this scheme, but seems like it would work pretty well and damn quickly.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17-07-2013, 12:07   #161

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post

I wonder if you have the GMO digesting gene as well?

Ben & Jerry's Latest GMO Updates
You don't need a special gene to digest GMO. They are not that special.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 12:09   #162

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post

You're shopping in the wrong bakeries, or shopping at the grocery store. But by in large - correct.
Actually Where i live the grocery stores have great bread. Not a lot f it is white. ..
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 14:21   #163

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

The CDC thinks along these lines. "Four modifiable health risk behaviors—lack of physical activity, poor nutrition, tobacco use, and excessive alcohol consumption—are responsible for much of the illness, suffering, and early death" I would add to that list, The fallacy of knowing better. I'm looking to restore and maintain my own personal health. I don't smoke, drink, ,drug, and I do try to keep moving. I find the most difficult thing on this list to be food. Anything I post here is in accordance with that effort. Clearly, I'm not offering clinical advice, or expert opinion. Nor am I seeking either. I'm just sitting over here on my raised deck cutter listening to the pressure cooker hissing as my 'brown' rice cooks. Sharing my thought's, experience and personal research. I am not telling you KVC and Rak, 'the truth'. I will do my best to share, my view without acting as if it's my task to correct those who, " you have just demonstrated a huge level of science illiteracy", "great LEAPS you have made from those sites to the "paleo diet. That is a leap that only you and other paleo fans have made", I have no idea what you are reading that has you attributing the above to me. I'm not a fan of the Palio diet. Instead of paying attention to the thread you have mushed things together, and insulted someone who probably agrees with most of what you offer. But that is the price of, the fallacy of knowing better. And KVG, I'm on my island here, US of A, and you on you little Island there. I'm looking from my perspective and you from your's. "I don't think you are old enough to remember the 19th century", huckster's offered their veggies from horse drawn wagons well into the 1950's in Phila, pa. Along with rag men, junkmen, and so on. If you just discovered broccoli around the 1990's I'm thinking that's is a pretty nutritionally sheltered life to be so deftly critiquing others food experience. My goal is to add something to the conversation, not shut it down, demonstrating my need to reign supreme or hold dominion. It's a conversation about mayonaise. It's a discussion about what we, personally/individually, think about the food choices we make to enhance our cruising experience. There is a wealth of information and support to be found on a forum such as this, and then there's the opposition for the sake of opposition crowd. And I oppose that.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 14:53   #164
CLOD

Boat: none

such a party pooper
Old 17-07-2013, 15:17   #165
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Often secondary markets , like green grocers( out door markets etc ) are often selling older produce or produce rejected by a supermarket . In certain cases I know this for a fact."
Perhaps in the UK, Dave. But in the US? I don't know anyone, anywhere, in any city who thinks their supermarket has a better produce section that the local vegetable stores. Supermarket produce in general has to be bought in mass quantities, and top grade goods by definition are a select cut above that, not mass quantities at all. Then there's the handling, some chains and some stroes do better than others, but the small stores get it off the truck and into storage or on the shelf right away.
And when my supermarket was selling strawberries for $4.99 a pint, the fruit store a whole block away was selling the same brand, same quality, for $2.99 a pint.
Now one might say that Whole Foods does set a higher standard, very nice produce department. At their prices they can damn well afford hand-selected produce. But in the US, we wouldn't call them a supermarket, they're "onea those yuppie health-food stores."
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote