Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 14:31   #271
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post

Just out of curiosity, which superior ethnic background is it that you are so proud to call your own that it makes you feel justified in uttering a statement of this nature?
Bit of a mongrel me , Anglo -French Irish stock. !!!!!

Ogh and a bit of Scottish islands thrown in for good luck

Dave
Old 22-07-2013, 14:37   #272
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
You basic health is mostly determined by:
- Your genes
- Your age
- Your sex
- Your stress level
- How active you are.

Your food choices affect this only marginally. This is why fad diets that just make your life more complicated are basically useless health wise. Fad diets are especially complicated if you travel to countries with different food cultures and standards. So when cruising indeed stop worrying about your food. You've already more than made up for the mayonnaise through other, healthy life style choices...

The only thing I would advice everyone though is to stick to the tried and true principle that adults don't drink soft drinks.

My parents both died fairly young, but probably because they both smoke. It was clearly a factor in my mother's death. My dad died of prostate cancer; I'm not sure about the connection between prostate and smoking. I survived breast cancer, as did my mother.

I am on high blood pressure medication, but it works markedly more effectively since I moved on to my boat. I think sailing is a fantastic sport for an overall workout. Just about verything requires more effort/muscle use/calories burned, and there's really not room for space-hogging snacks like bags of chips (not that I had much of that sort of thing around before I moved aboard). But with no microwave, there's no buying micro-wavable imitation meals in a box. Cooking from scratch just seems to be natural on my boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:43   #273

Boat: Skookum 53'

The stress release alone from being aboard my boat, adds years to my life for sure. Once I head out, it is hard to stay awake the first week, everything leaves except the here and now. Don't believe I'll equip. for WI FI.
Old 22-07-2013, 14:47   #274
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
The stress release alone from being aboard my boat, adds years to my life for sure. Once I head out, it is hard to stay awake the first week, everything leaves except the here and now. Don't believe I'll equip. for WI FI.

It has been so stormy here this summer (and lots of higher wind in the spring) that I haven't sailed much lately. That's because although my headsail is designed to be reefed in an emergency, the roller furler won't cooperate. The headsail pops like a 'chute in 5 mph of wind. I used to take this or my earlier boat out on average, every other day, and I do miss it, but have a part-time job to pay for replacing the roller furler. That should happen within a couple of months, in time for the golden months of sailing in Florida.

Still, just being on the boat reminds one of the possibilities.

I know I'll take heat on this post from the crows. Peck away.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:51   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Bit of a mongrel me , Anglo -French Irish stock. !!!!!

Ogh and a bit of Scottish islands thrown in for good luck

Dave
I share two of those roots in my mutish background. I'll leave you to guess which two they are.

If you are part Anglo, then why did you refer to Anglos as "you" instead of "we" in the earlier post?
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:55   #276
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

I share two of those roots in my mutish background. I'll leave you to guess which two they are.
My great grandmother spoke no English , my grandmother lived through two world wars ( I remember her telling me about Zeppelins bombing London ), ( her brother in laws retaliated in WW2, under bomber Harris !! ) , the other side provided the various Gaelic roots! . ( fishing , sheep and beautiful but lonely windswept islands ! )

Dave
Old 22-07-2013, 15:01   #277
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

If you are part Anglo, then why did you refer to Anglos as "you" instead of "we" in the earlier post?
A mere poor use of my native tongue and iPads keyboards ,and being a Francophile , in reality I should have used the proper term " chips" .

However chips bear no resemble to anything that fancy and are best eaten with yesterday's news. ( rather then mayo or anything else ) , the do on occasion ( when my wife slums it ) get floated in Vinegar and 4times the EU daily salt intake

Dave
Old 22-07-2013, 15:09   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
do on occasion ( when my wife slums it ) get floated in Vinegar and 4times the EU daily salt intake

Dave
Oh, the dangerous adventures you pursue... ;-)
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 17:27   #279
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Oh, the dangerous adventures you pursue... ;-)
Living on the edge , living on the edge

Dave
Old 23-07-2013, 12:58   #280

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

But with no microwave, there's no buying micro-wavable imitation meals in a box. Cooking from scratch just seems to be natural on my boat.
I miss my microwave. I archly ever used it to heat up store bought meals, but used I a lot to heat up left overs. And a microwave is a great way to cook vegetables.
K_V_B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 03:44   #281

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post

I miss my microwave. I archly ever used it to heat up store bought meals, but used I a lot to heat up left overs. And a microwave is a great way to cook vegetables.
The last thing we purchased before leaving Puerto Rico was a small (700 watt, I think) microwave. Our decision was prompted by a discussion we had one night with a couple we met that have been cruising the Caribbean for the last 13 years. They had a microwave used mostly for heating leftovers, they made an intelligent augment for it by comparing the amount of propane burned to heat up the leftovers versus, say, a max of 3 minutes of power.

With two 450 watt solar panels and wind generator our energy is more easily renewed than our propane. We also have a 2000 watt inverter that help facilitate things. The microwave fits nicely behind the our galley sink. I really like hot food on passages and the microwave has made that so much easier -- I prepare the meals in advance and stick them in the freezer, when we are ready to eat I pop them in and zap them.

I realize this won't work for everybody but it works for us.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 09:36   #282

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

HOMEMADE MAYO RECIPE

ingredients
1 large egg yolk*
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
3/4 cup canola oil, divided

preparation

Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.
Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. Keep chilled.

Variation:
To make aioli, add 1 minced garlic clove to the egg mixture, and substitute extravirgin olive oil for the canola oil.
Old 24-07-2013, 10:22   #283

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

great, thank you for that.

do you think that the same can be made with egg powder? I tried and it didn't thicken correctly. Is the egg yolk the main thickening agent or is it the process of whisking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
HOMEMADE MAYO RECIPE

ingredients
1 large egg yolk*
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
3/4 cup canola oil, divided

preparation

Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.
Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. Keep chilled.

Variation:
To make aioli, add 1 minced garlic clove to the egg mixture, and substitute extravirgin olive oil for the canola oil.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 12:03   #284

Ofer,

if you do a Google search for "mayonnaise powdered eggs" you get suggestions, such as this one:
Homemade Mayo-nayo-naise! With Powdered Eggs! | Melarky
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 13:47   #285

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Ofer,

if you do a Google search for "mayonnaise powdered eggs" you get suggestions, such as this one:
Homemade Mayo-nayo-naise! With Powdered Eggs! | Melarky
thanks! keeps forgetting how much is on the internet.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote