Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2014, 19:34   #31

Boat: csy 37
Re: Micro wave or not to Micro wave

don't have a microwave but i can see one huge advantage - no propane on board.

no propane tanks, hoses, appliances, safety switches, gas detectors, etc... not even considering the expense, think of the added safety. as to the power draw, a microwave usually cooks things quickly so that scrambled egg may only draw 3 or 4 amps from the batteries.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 06:57   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

No to the microwave - we did have one when we initially left the UK. When it jumped off the shelf (oops!) we decided not to replace it as we only used it to reheat meals and sterilise jars for chutney and there are other ways to do that. The shelf became space for cookbooks and I much prefer those!

Yes to the vacuum sealer - we bulk buy bread flour when we can get a good supply, then vacuum seal in convenient packages and find a friendly taverna owner with freezer space for a few days to kill off the bugs. The sealed, dry packages can then be stored all over the boat and we have fresh bread flour for months.
Old 30-01-2014, 05:21   #33

Boat: Cape Dory 30 ketch

I don't have one on my 30' but not because of space (my coffee maker is the size of a small microwave). It's not even the power concerns. It's just that I never use one. Like someone else said earlier. If you use one often on land you'll want it on the boat. I might nuke something once a month on land. Useless waste of space and power for me. Now my coffee maker, yeah I use that constantly. Unless I'm away from the dock. And then I do it the old fashioned way on the stove.

As for heat in the cabin, I live in FL and the summers can be brutal. Luckily my stove is right by my companionway, I have all opening ports and a fan that blows the hot air up and out. My cabin stays quite tolerable most of the time. On the rare cold days I welcome that heat.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:20   #34

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodie View Post
I took my Force 10 out and replaced it with an induction cook top and an induction oven. I have a 4000 watt pro sine wave, charger/inverter with a gen set, four solar panels and a KISS wind generator. With my induction cooker I can heat something almost as fast as a microwave. But who's in a hurry. Power consumption is less than a microwave. I have four 8d lifeline agm batteries that provide the power. The cost of the induction system was a little more than 400.00 and I already had the electrical system in place. The whole thing works well and I don't have to haul around the propane bottles anymore.
Kingwoodie
s/v "The Lady Margaret Ann"
Didn't know there was such a thing as an induction oven. I definitely plan on getting an induction "hot plate" in the future. If you didn't mean convection oven maybe you should start a new thread. I would definitely read it. Thanks Joe
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 15:35   #35
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I find microwaves very useful at home and I've had them on several boats including one under 22feet. I cook all sorts of things in them , they're great for fish, steaming vegetables, baked/jacket potatoes, scrambled eggs, soups and gravies

An all round wonder machine

Dave
Old 01-02-2014, 15:38   #36

Never used one on land after I got out of college and the Navy. Removed the one that was in the boat when we bought it. We've never wanted it back.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 16:22   #37

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

We use our microwave a lot. I make folgers coffee in the tea bags in it (2-1/2minutes) and we thaw out frozen soups and chili while cruising. We have a microwave egg device that you put the egg contents in and one minute later have an egg similar to an egg mcmuffin at McDonalds. Put the cooked egg in an english muffin with cheese and ham and you have made a two minute warm breakfast!

We have a magma grill and a two burner propane stove and oven we also use, but we get a lot of use out of the microwave.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 16:31   #38

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
We have a microwave egg device that you put the egg contents in and one minute later have an egg similar to an egg mcmuffin at McDonalds. Put the cooked egg in an english muffin with cheese and ham and you have made a two minute warm breakfast!

You can do that with a coffee cup. Just break the egg in it, scramble, and put in the microwave for a minute. Pops out just like an egg mcmuffin.
Old 02-02-2014, 18:43   #39
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
You can do that with a coffee cup. Just break the egg in it, scramble, and put in the microwave for a minute. Pops out just like an egg mcmuffin.
So, what to do with the coffee meanwhile?!
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 18:44   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So, what to do with the coffee meanwhile?!
I was wondering do those eggs not like tea-cups or what

Dave
Old 02-02-2014, 18:59   #41

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Tea drinkers? Nasty

We are trying to emulate a horrible McDonald's product here...so coffee is appropriate for this USA product.
Old 02-02-2014, 19:19   #42

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Same here! Ours is the designated bread box except when we're offshore, at which point we call it the "Faraday Cage" and store the handheld electronics inside it to protect against lightning.
That is a very good idea!
Old 02-02-2014, 19:27   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We use the microwave often. Most vegetables are steamed in it. Before leaving for a passage, we cook the meals and freeze them, so that during the passage they only need heating in the microwave. Think Chili con Carne, Goulash, soups etc. (I know, others eat canned foods while underway, we don't).
Old 03-02-2014, 12:01   #44

sparrowhawk1: go to nuwaveinductionoven.com. Works great in a small space. Not much drain on my system. I just cooked a ten pound ham in it with no problem. Take a look.
Kingwoodie
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 13:47   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodie View Post
sparrowhawk1: go to nuwaveinductionoven.com. Works great in a small space. Not much drain on my system. I just cooked a ten pound ham in it with no problem. Take a look.
Kingwoodie
There exists no such thing imho. The Nuwave oven is an infrared oven and the URL is NuWave Oven Official Website - As Seen on TV Countertop Appliance

Old & tired… Tell-Sell has been selling these for ages

Having used all of these, I think a nice combination Convection & Microwave oven is the answer. If you have the room, there are new versions out there that include steam and grill functions and those are all good too. I found one without the turning platform which works very well.