Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 13:03   #31

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Misc. Galley Questions

The best part of cast iron skillets are they don't need water and are easy to clean up if they're well-seasoned. I like to use mine to make toast with just a touch of oil which keeps it well seasoned. If it's left for over a week without use it might get some rust on the outside but it's not hard to clean it off. And I line my shelf that it goes on with cardboard. I also highly recommend you get pressure cookers one that's like a skillet and one that's at least 6 quart , you can put other containers in side to make for easier clean up and perfect rice every time. I also highly recommend Corelle. They're very hard to break and if you manage to drop it completely flat from high they break up into little cubes. If you have a small sink like I do make sure you buy the smaller plates they're so much easier to wash.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 13:25   #32

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
.....FWIW, we make chili and spaghetti sauce and so forth in big batches, and then freeze the remainder in smaller serving sizes.
Assuming you put beans in your chili, you can leave them out and freeze the sauce. Add the beans when you reheat it. The beans can stay in the can and you'll use less freezer space.
Old 04-11-2017, 14:04   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
We are not all alike and our boats or boating use are not all alike. Just because someone else says you can't do something doesn't make it so for you (in most cases).

Mark Johnson says you will be washing your pans in salt water. We have never done this. He says you can't grow herbs. Well, you can if you want to go to the trouble.

Whatever you want to do, think about it yourself. If it seems practical, try it. You will find out if it works for you.

Note: I'm not talking about safety issues here like plumbing or electrical, I'm talking about what you are asking about.

Also, candles would bother me on a boat but I've seen artificial candles (LEDs) that look very realistic. I had to look close enough to see the switch on the bottom.

Fresh herbs on a cruise are very nice. I recently cruised for a month, with a live Basil plant, nicknamed "Basil" of course. A few leaves plucked off the live plant were so nice in the egg Torta, the pizza and the caprese salad, different meals.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 16:35   #34

Because you are on catamaran the rules are different. We are on a catamaran too. You can use crockery and glass with basic precautions. We use a plastic non slip drawer liner and baffles in the drawers to keep things in place, all from Lakeland in the UK. They will not break beacause you dont get the heel. The pitching motion is not enough to cause damage even in very short step seas. You can also use candles as again, you wont get rolling. That said, we use reeds for scent and tea lights in c9ntainers for light but that is because they perform better in wind. If using candkes make sure you keep the wicks trimmed tgen they will not smoke. Also good to have a simple rule that they are only lit in the evenings or im marina sonas not to run the risk ofnsetting sail with a candle still lit.
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:57   #35

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Assuming you put beans in your chili, you can leave them out and freeze the sauce. Add the beans when you reheat it. The beans can stay in the can and you'll use less freezer space.

Good point. Some of our chili recipes use beans, but then some of those are dried beans to start, not canned. Still, for those with little freezer space, probably very useful.

-Chris

Tags
galley