Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 19-09-2021, 09:22   #1516

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: PUMPKIN FRITTERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Vocabulary is important here. What is "very little oil?" If you're talking about lubing the pan and using a paper towel or side towel to leave only a glisten I'll agree. If there is enough oil for a miniscus then you're going to have a greasy product. What is a "drizzle?" If your drizzle is anything like my drizzle it's too much.
Hi Auspicious
Quantities are often not exactly measured, but instead eyeballed, and the amount of oil I add falls in this category.

A “lightly oiled pan” was the best description I could come up with in the recipe. I don‘t wipe the pan after adding oil, but I don’t add any more than about half to one teaspoon to the pan. Certainly far less than to make the fritters taste “greasy”. By the time they are flipped there is no oil left, but the non stick pan means no extra oil needs to be added. The original side ends up a bit crispier in texture.

I guess they could be “properly” fried successfully (either shallow or deep), but this technique works well for me. There are certainly no complaints from my main food critic .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 09:16   #1517

Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Please and thank you…how do I look up one of your recipes by post #? I apparently am not doing it correctly.
Michelle D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 16:21   #1518

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle D View Post
Please and thank you…how do I look up one of your recipes by post #? I apparently am not doing it correctly.
Hi Michelle, welcome aboard! Try looking at Post #1, it has a list of recipes and posts.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 13:55   #1519

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle D View Post
Hi Michelle
Welcome to CF.

As Don has indicated, an index has been included in post #1. Check how many posts per page you have displayed (you can select this number in your User CP if you would like to alter this) to work out what page number you need to go to for a specific post number.

eg I have chosen 40 posts per page, so to find post #428 quickly, I know that for me it is somewhere on page number 11 (428/40 = 10.7)

It is nice to know people are still looking at this thread given the lengthly and rich input from members over several years. I have not posted to here for a long time only as there are now masses more plant based recipes available online since this thread was started 10 years ago, so I have felt less need adding to it. I remember back to when we started cruising nearly 17 years ago I had never cooked beans or lentils or used a pressure cooker and online recipes were scarce. How times have changed .

It is interesting to look back on how my own food choices have evolved over this time. My diet is now now almost 100% whole food plant based primarily for health reasons, but also for ethical issues. The convenience while sailing has been a happy byproduct. The transition has been relatively slow for me, making it a very easy one. The rewards are huge and I am feeling better than I have even had. In fact so well I am dangerous . I hope this will help enable me to keep cruising for decades to come and without preaching I would gently encourage others to explore this option.

SWL

Old 31-05-2023, 18:52   #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi Michelle
Welcome to CF.

As Don has indicated, an index has been included in post #1. Check how many posts per page you have displayed (you can select this number in your User CP if you would like to alter this) to work out what page number you need to go to for a specific post number.

eg I have chosen 40 posts per page, so to find post #428 quickly, I know that for me it is somewhere on page number 11 (428/40 = 10.7)

It is nice to know people are still looking at this thread given the lengthly and rich input from members over several years. I have not posted to here for a long time only as there are now masses more plant based recipes available online since this thread was started 10 years ago, so I have felt less need adding to it. I remember back to when we started cruising nearly 17 years ago I had never cooked beans or lentils or used a pressure cooker and online recipes were scarce. How times have changed .

It is interesting to look back on how my own food choices have evolved over this time. My diet is now now almost 100% whole food plant based primarily for health reasons, but also for ethical issues. The convenience while sailing has been a happy byproduct. The transition has been relatively slow for me, making it a very easy one. The rewards are huge and I am feeling better than I have even had. In fact so well I am dangerous . I hope this will help enable me to keep cruising for decades to come and without preaching I would gently encourage others to explore this option.

SWL

My guess for the reason cause we all like to eat and anyone that cooks is always interested in how others cook so from time to time most that have ever viewed your thread will drop by to see whats new..

Likr mr
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 15:29   #1521

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CAPONATA

This vegan recipe was meant for sharing .

We spent seven wonderful months in Sicily 16 years ago when we first started cruising. Aussie cuisine benefited in the 1950’s from an influx of Italian migrants, many of them Sicilian, and they brought their wonderfully rich cuisine with them. Stemming from my early cruising days in Sicily, some of my favourite boat recipes are Sicilian and this one introduced to me by my dear friend Bunny is one of them.

Online recipes are varied, but all the ones I have found use about 6 times the amount of olive oil that I do for the same amount of aubergines. I just can’t bring myself to pour 3 cups into this recipe . Same goes for Turkish Imam Bayildi, named apparently after a holy man fainted when his new bride had rapidly gone through several jugs of olive oil making an aubergine dish. Eggplant just tends to soak up however much oil you throw at it .

Anyway, this fabulously intensely flavoured recipe can be served chilled or warm, either as an appetiser (divine on homemade toasted focaccia or bruschetta) or as part of a main meal. I add more tomato than standard recipes so tweak this to suit your palate. The recipe is forgiving. Add more celery if you have no peppers or vice versa. Add carrots if you have neither. I don’t think it suffers at all from the reduced amount of oil. It is particularly good to have on hand if anyone drops in for sundowners.

This is my version of the old classic:

CAPONATA

1 kg young eggplants, cut in 2 cm cubes
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

¼ cup ev olive oil, extra
4 onions, peeled & chopped
6 cloves garlic, sliced
1 red pepper, halved, cored & sliced
1 yellow or orange pepper, halved, cored & sliced
2 sticks celery, sliced

400g tin tomatoes, crushed
350 ml jar tomato & basil sauce (or another tin of tomatoes)
2 tablespoons tomato paste (add more if no sauce)
½ cup Castelvetrano olives, halved
¼ cup capers, lightly squeezed
¼ cup good vinegar (I use my homemade raspberry infused one)
1 tablespoon maple syrup (original recipe was honey)
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Tip aubergine onto a lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss. Roast 200°C for about an hour (until soft), tossing occasionally. Original recipes sautéed small batches of aubergine in a pan with lots of oil, but I found this too tedious. Roasting also halves the total time taken, as it allows you to make the sauce while the aubergine is roasting.

Sauté onion in remaining oil in a large pot.
After 10 minutes add the garlic, peppers and celery and cook on low another 20 minutes.
Add rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer 20 minutes.
Add roasted eggplant. Simmer 20 minutes.
Ladle into glass jars while hot and seal. Makes about 6 x 400g jars.
Cool and refrigerate.
This benefits dramatically from allowing the flavours to infuse for at least 24 hours before eating. It is even more scrumptious after a few days.

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00220762-7C60-4C7E-A202-38AE97801665.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	280859   Click image for larger version

Name:	E6121941-54E4-486B-A5E3-1A0756CCD296.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	280860  

Old 19-01-2024, 09:20   #1522

Having converted to a pescatarian diet about a year ago, I was very curious if this would be an obstacle with cruising, given the shelf life and availability of fresh veggies in distant locations. Thanks for this--it's reassuring to know it's possible!
kendrickwallace is offline   Reply With Quote