Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 18:05   #796

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

thanks,looks delicious and has given me ideas but I'm afraid a bit complicated for me I need a simplified version
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 18:33   #797

MM~
This sounds amazing-especially on a bed of spinach! Can't wait to try this.

The app was Paprika. I haven't gotten it yet. I'm waiting until summer when I have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

I use the Paprika app as a recipe manager and I try and snap a shot of most things I make to included with the recipe, so here is how it looks:
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 23:44   #798

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMarine View Post
Hi SWL,

Not sure if my pita recipe made it through the ether to you, but below is a hit aubergine curry recipe and I think that its all vegan (??)

I've served it on a bed on spinach that wilts beautifully. I had only a can of coconut milk, water & salt to add to the recipe not the BIONA bar, veg stock I also added 2 small red thai chillis as what is a curry without a kick?? I did have the coconut oil, as this is fast becoming my summer ingredient. Perhaps the tropics are calling... roll on the end of the refit!

This recipe is from Vogue (yes really) and the lovely Hemsley and Hemsley sisters.
PS still need lessons on font formatting!
Oh, that does sound like a curry I would enjoy! Thanks!
Apart from the Biona bar (I will substitute as you did), I can get all the ingredients easily at the moment. There are some really good aubergines appearing. I will give it a go shortly.

No, your pita recipe did not make it . Was it a PM you sent?

I will send you a PM to see if I can help with formatting.

SWL x

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 23:57   #799

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
vegemite? do you mean vegenaise
No way! If I want mayonnaise only the real thing will do .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
You will love Mexican tortillas then when they come freshly made off the griddle! Corn or flour are both good.

Native-American have Indian Tacos which are similar to Mexican/Tex-Mex Sopapillas which are fluffy tortillas that can eaten with meat or just refried beans (for vegans) or for dessert with honey (traditionally) or agave (vegan). Never tried Vegemite but I hear it's an acquired taste.

Sopapillas
Mmmmmmmmm. I don't do any deep frying on board, but they do look fabulous.

I am sitting in a little cafe fronting a tree shaded square in an ancient chora at the moment. I caught the crack of dawn school bus to get here. No shops were open so I have settled down under the shade of a plane tree. Best coffee I have had in Greece! So pleasant here I may not budge for another hour or two . The owner has just brought me some hot cake fresh out of the oven so I am feeling particularly content .

Old 04-06-2015, 01:19   #800
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

I am sitting in a little cafe fronting a tree shaded square in an ancient chora at the moment. I caught the crack of dawn school bus to get here. No shops were open so I have settled down under the shade of a plane tree. Best coffee I have had in Greece! So pleasant here I may not budge for another hour or two . The owner has just brought me some hot cake fresh out of the oven so I am feeling particularly content .
Time for you to crack out the camera/video to record your food 'ventures. Become a real foodie.....
I do it all the time. Reminds me how it looked and gives me a reminder of the recipe and cooking method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040456.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	103164   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040466.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	103165  

Name:	P1040635.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	103166  
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:27   #801

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Time for you to crack out the camera/video to record your food 'ventures. Become a real foodie.....
I do it all the time. Reminds me how it looked and gives me a reminder of the recipe and cooking method.
Not much to photograph at the moment, but here is the glass of wine and nuts I am enjoying after a couple of hours shopping (beautiful hand painted ceramics here by Olga Zacharaki). I am doing my best here to boost the Greek economy . By the way, I have managed to withdraw some cash today from an ATM. I was unable to do so in the port the last three visits. Anyone visiting, be prepared.

I have returned to the cafe where I had such a good coffee. When I tried to order another cappuccino, beautiful Georgia said three was too much for one day!

Wine portions are generous:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	103167  

Old 04-06-2015, 03:39   #802
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not much to photograph at the moment, but here is the glass of wine and nuts I am enjoying after a couple of hours shopping (beautiful hand painted ceramics here by Olga Zacharaki). I am doing my best here to boost the Greek economy . By the way, I have managed to withdraw some cash today from an ATM. I was unable to do so in the port the last three visits. Anyone visiting, be prepared.

I have returned to the cafe where I had such a good coffee. When I tried to order another cappuccino, she said three was too much for one day!

Wine portions are generous:
Honestly? There is always something to photograph. You are in Greece and we are elsewhere. We are jealous and want to share your experience. Get closer......

Example:

Old 04-06-2015, 03:48   #803

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Honestly? There is always something to photograph. You are in Greece and we are elsewhere. We are jealous and want to share your experience. Get closer.....
Will my salad from yesterday do?
Bread was from a wood fired oven. Roses are real.

Food choices here are actually very limited. Nothing other than Greek tavernas on these tiny islands. Unfortunately many dishes are prepared in the morning and simply reheated during the day. Yuk.

Horiatika (Greek salad) is always superb. Freshly made when ordered, usually with a huge slab of feta, drizzled with oil (often from family groves) sprinkled with oregano and sometimes with capers or mild chillies added. It is a staple for me when eating out.

Dashing to catch the school bus back .
SWL x
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	254
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	103170  

Old 04-06-2015, 04:40   #804
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Will my salad from yesterday do?
Bread was from a wood fired oven. Roses are real.

Food choices here are actually very limited. Nothing other than Greek tavernas on these tiny islands. Unfortunately many dishes are prepared in the morning and simply reheated during the day. Yuk.

Horiatika (Greek salad) is always superb. Freshly made when ordered, usually with a huge slab of feta, drizzled with oil (often from family groves) sprinkled with oregano and sometimes with capers or mild chillies added. It is a staple for me when eating out.

Dashing to catch the school bus back .
SWL x
Looks Delicious and healthy portions too. The Feta amount would be too much for me. I would take maybe 20% of that and crumble it on top. I love the taste but not the volume............

The salad would suit me to the ground.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:56   #805

Quote:

It sounds amazing! It is crack of dawn here as well. The owner has brought me hot coffee as well. I have asked if there is hot cake out of the oven. But my husband looks at me crazy and said 'Wake up-get out of bed and yer own hot cake' LOL!!

I don't do any frying anywhere. I go to places where they make those goodies. It is such a lot of oil and way too messy for me with all the grease splatter.

I'm off on a search for hot cake now!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:46   #806

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The owner has brought me hot coffee as well. I have asked if there is hot cake out of the oven. But my husband looks at me crazy and said 'Wake up-get out of bed and yer own hot cake' LOL!!
I would get the same response LOL .
That first cuppa in the morning (be it tea or coffee) is always the best one for the day. Couple that with a warm treat from the oven and I am in heaven.

I put a batch of scones on while making jam early this morning, so it was back to bed with coffee, scones and apricot jam this morning once my better half woke up.

Recipe for jam about to be posted. It is a recipe of mum's and a particularly good one that I make yearly.

SWL

Old 05-06-2015, 08:59   #807

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Grilled nectarines with muddled mint

This is a spin off from a recipe for Mint Julep that Dockhead posted a few months ago. The fragrance of the muddled mint was so good, I tried it with grilled nectarines.

This is the best plant based dish I have ever made that takes less than 10 minutes. It is absolutely scrumptious!

GRILLED NECTARINES WITH MUDDLED MINT

3-6 nectarines
Big handful of fresh mint leaves, tips set aside
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 lemon
A few teaspoons of Jack Daniels

- Halve the nectarines, stone them and grill (or pan fry upside down as I did).
- Using a mortar and pestle, muddle the mint leaves (don't cut them) with the sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice to prevent the mint browning
- Pour a little Jack Daniels into the centre of each grilled nectarine
- Spoon on the muddled mint and garnish with fresh tips of mint

This recipe has been added to the index in post #1 along with all the other latest contributions.

Edited to add:
Made it for the second time tonight. Timed it as a matter of interest - just 7 minutes. While I temporarily have access to unlimited mint and nectarines, this will be featuring frequently .
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	187
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	103240  

Old 05-06-2015, 12:33   #808

Quote:
It sounds amazing! It is crack of dawn here as well. The owner has brought me hot coffee as well. I have asked if there is hot cake out of the oven. But my husband looks at me crazy and said 'Wake up-get out of bed and yer own hot cake' LOL!!

I don't do any frying anywhere. I go to places where they make those goodies. It is such a lot of oil and way too messy for me with all the grease splatter.

I'm off on a search for hot cake now!
If someone ever said that tyo me it would be the last time i ever cooked for them period! Hot cakes shouldn't be fried they are best sauteed in a drop of olive oil then served with real butter and maple syrup honey or jam
Old 05-06-2015, 13:01   #809

Better than Mayonnaise.

Sassy Lassie you put me up to this because i was like you at one time I had to have real mayonnaise and it had to be properly made. That was untill I discovered vegenaise which led to what I'm eating now. I can give you a recipe for vegenaise if anyone is interested it's as easy to make as mayo is? Right now I'm eating a sandwich made with canned salmon avocado romaine lettuce tomatoes. The last couple of years i have come to prefer using an avocado mushed up instead of mayo. Just noticed their are many recipes on the net like the ones I have used. Can be made with grape seed as well.
I will often just take an avocado mush it up add a bit of canned salmon and a spoon or two of vegenaise, depends on how much I am making. Sometimes I will add fresh tomato if available chopped up. Served on bread with romaine lettuce< my favorite>. Really is a fst lunch
1 six oz can of salmon
1 avocado
1 or two spoons of vegenaise
romaine lettuce and bread.
I made some yesterday and still have some left. This will make several sandwiches

If using tuna I like just plain vegehaise and odds an ends chopped in like olives bread and butter pickles etc.
Old 05-06-2015, 13:08   #810

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Better than Mayonnaise.

Sassy Lassie you put me up to this because i was like you at one time I had to have real mayonnaise and it had to be properly made. That was untill I discovered vegenaise which led to what I'm eating now. I can give you a recipe for vegenaise if anyone is interested it's as easy to make as mayo is?

I would love to hear how it is made.
For me, the newly discovered lemon tahini dressing makes a great substitute. I would even go so far as to say I prefer the lemon tahini - it is creamy and scrumptious.

I rarely make mayonnaise on board, only because it is a lot of fuss when I only use it in small quantities.