Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 28-01-2017, 12:32   #1231

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
No knead bread

NO KNEAD BREAD

A decade ago the New York Times published Jim Lahey's recipe for a revolutionary new process of making bread, with the claim that a four year old could make it.

This is the video that has attracted 2.5 million views:

Although this recipe is "no knead", it does need a Dutch oven or some form of heavy, covered pot and it does need up to an hour of gas to preheat this to 500°F. Not very boat friendly. In addition, all the mess involved with using a floured cloth initially put me off.

Being land based for the last few months and having time on my hands, I have been working to improve my loaves by making starter mixes (most of which have bizarre names) that are left overnight. This eventually lead to trying Jim Lahey's recipe and then playing with it to test out the boundaries. After some experimenting, I discovered the key is in the ingredients and the very long rise, not in the method of shaping and baking. The extra handling, the floury towel and the super hot, heavy pot can be eliminated.

These are the ingredients and initial method (basically unaltered from Jim's):

3 cups unsifted white "bread flour" (high gluten), lightly tapped to settle
¼ teaspoon dry instant yeast
1 heaped teaspoon salt
1½ cups cool water

- Mix flour, yeast and salt then tip in water and stir until you have a wet, shaggy dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave 18 hours at around 20°C (70°F). 12 is OK, but 18 is better.

I simplified the next stage to minimise mess and gas used and to eliminate having to buy, store and handle a super heavy pot while cruising:

- After the first rise gently scrape the dough into a high tin lined with baking paper (don't knock down as you usually would after the initial rise)
- Cover with foil and leave 4 hours at around 20°C (70°F)
- Preheat oven to 230°C (450°F)
- Bake while still covered with foil for 30 minutes
- Uncover and bake a further 5 minutes
- Peel away the paper and cool on a rack

Comments:
This is the best bread I have ever made, by a long shot. It is super light and airy, but at the same time slightly springy, like sourdough. The flavour is superb, as the slow rise essentially ferments the dough. If you can resist not eating the whole loaf on day one, unlike ordinary home baked bread, it is still soft the next day. It also makes scrumptious French toast. A four year old COULD actually make it.

The only drawback with eliminating the heavy hot pot is that the crust is only lightly (rather than super) crunchy. As I am not a big fan of overcooked crusts, this is actually a bonus for me.

Being a temporary dirt dweller I currently have easy access to a good bakery, but for the sheer pleasure of munching on the best ever bread, I have been making this almost daily lately. The recipe is too good not to share .

SWL

It is even a hit with two year olds. This one ate four buttered slices while repeating "lekker" :

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8740.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	150923  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 16:21   #1232

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
guisado tropical whimsy

can be made either in slow cooker or on stovetop-

- into pan-- spot of olive oil, oregano, garlic, onion, poblano skinned in the normal mexican manner(burn em ) yummmmmy. crema de coco.
cook it together.. some salt as well and limon, when i make it with apple i use jumex apple nectar, a small bottle. 1 can crema de coco.

difference between slow cooking and stovetop is the candy made on stovetop.. yummy. is not candied in slow cooker.
liquids reduce best on stovetop.
when i use pina --toss cleaned pineapple chunks into the sauce and reduce. (no apple juice with other fruits than apple)
when i use mango--chunks of mango-- wow.
when reduced add the pieces of seared pork( apple recipe), or shrimps, or chikkin, or whatever your whimsy is.. tuna is awesome this way with mango-- this sauce does not go well with beef
peanuts(cacahuates) are also good-- use apple recipe with peanut butter peanuts and crema de coconut. yummmm
the meats will cook in the sauce as that reduces.
damfinecookinmomma

and i betcha that even tofu tastes good in this ... just for you swl....hahahahaha
Wow that sounds good... better have some ready if decide to sail down there for some! This thread is pure torture.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 18:38   #1233

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Oohhh.. that bread looks good! Just picked up some strawberry mango jam today. I think the jam needs this bread!

Tonight's "Chana de Gitana"
(Sort of a chana recipe but too full of subs to be authentic )
1 cup of dried chick peas, soaked and cooked in a pressure cooker with 2 cups water, 1/2 onion cut into big pieces, bay leaf and 1 tbsp olive oil (cook on high pressure 18 minutes, cool naturally)

Drain off chick peas, reserving 1 cup liquid from cooking. Discard bay leaf but keep the onion.
Add the chick peas and the 1 cup liquid back to the pot
Add 1 large tomato cut into large chunks
1 med zucchini cut into large chunks
1 med sweet potato cut into large chunks
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp graham marshland
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt

Bring to high pressure, reduce heat and cook for 7 minutes

This recipe came about because I simply lacked the ingredients for real chana. Also, I did not toast the spices but doing so would probably improve the flavor.

Very yummy, very not "chana"
Old 28-01-2017, 19:00   #1234

Boat: Catalina 387

Not at all keeping with the "mostly plant based" theme... I've made this twice:

Sticky Baked 
Chicken Wings
 Recipe - Matt Jennings | Food & Wine

If you have access to gochujang (Korean red pepper paste) or the Chinese or Japanese equivalents - this is absolutely the most amazing wings I've ever had. Bar none. Made it once for my fam, next day same dish for guests. Would be easy on a boat with an oven. And wings are available everywhere on the planet.

This sauce would make shoe leather taste good... it's really dang good.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 20:20   #1235

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> "1 tsp graham marshland" ???

Is that you phone's predictive text for garam masala?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 01:17   #1236

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
guisado tropical whimsy

can be made either in slow cooker or on stovetop-

- into pan-- spot of olive oil, oregano, garlic, onion, poblano skinned in the normal mexican manner(burn em ) yummmmmy. crema de coco.
cook it together.. some salt as well and limon, when i make it with apple i use jumex apple nectar, a small bottle. 1 can crema de coco.

difference between slow cooking and stovetop is the candy made on stovetop.. yummy. is not candied in slow cooker.
liquids reduce best on stovetop.
when i use pina --toss cleaned pineapple chunks into the sauce and reduce. (no apple juice with other fruits than apple)
when i use mango--chunks of mango-- wow.
when reduced add the pieces of seared pork( apple recipe), or shrimps, or chikkin, or whatever your whimsy is.. tuna is awesome this way with mango-- this sauce does not go well with beef
peanuts(cacahuates) are also good-- use apple recipe with peanut butter peanuts and crema de coconut. yummmm
the meats will cook in the sauce as that reduces.
damfinecookinmomma

and i betcha that even tofu tastes good in this ... just for you swl....hahahahaha
I LOVE coconut cream/milk, although I have never tried it with oregano.
Current soup favourite is carrot & ginger pureed with coconut milk .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Tonight's "Chana de Gitana"
(Sort of a chana recipe but too full of subs to be authentic )
1 cup of dried chick peas, soaked and cooked in a pressure cooker with 2 cups water, 1/2 onion cut into big pieces, bay leaf and 1 tbsp olive oil (cook on high pressure 18 minutes, cool naturally)

Drain off chick peas, reserving 1 cup liquid from cooking. Discard bay leaf but keep the onion.
Add the chick peas and the 1 cup liquid back to the pot
Add 1 large tomato cut into large chunks
1 med zucchini cut into large chunks
1 med sweet potato cut into large chunks
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp graham marshland
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt

Bring to high pressure, reduce heat and cook for 7 minutes

This recipe came about because I simply lacked the ingredients for real chana. Also, I did not toast the spices but doing so would probably improve the flavor.

Very yummy, very not "chana"
Hi Sea Dreaming
Chickpea and veggie curries make great boat food! For a lovely variation on this, try adding a 250ml carton of coconut milk/cream when reheating, and just before serving add a handful of fresh coriander. Yum .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post

Sticky Baked 
Chicken Wings

If you have access to gochujang (Korean red pepper paste) or the Chinese or Japanese equivalents - this is absolutely the most amazing wings I've ever had. Bar none. Made it once for my fam, next day same dish for guests. Would be easy on a boat with an oven. And wings are available everywhere on the planet.

The photo with that recipe looks amazing. It would probably also work well with drumsticks, making it a meal rather than a snack.
I haven't tried gochujang and probably can't get hold of any easily. Do you think harissa would substitute reasonably or maybe sambal olek?

SWL

PS I have updated the index in post #1.

Old 29-01-2017, 07:12   #1237
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Wow that sounds good... better have some ready if decide to sail down there for some! This thread is pure torture.
ingredients are all lov=cal items and plentiful. ripe pineapple is a plus a sitis so much more flavorful than unripe pineapples , such as are sold in usa. there is nothing like a real ripe pineapple.
fresh mangos are also awesome in this, instead of pineapples.. so many varietys and combinations. add rum with pork and ohmy... awesome
nothing like being able to pick fruits and make foods with them.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:09   #1238

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post

Sticky Baked 
Chicken Wings

Hi Jeepbluetj
Thanks for posting the above recipe.
I had to substitute the gochujang for sambal olek, so the sauce would not have had quite the same flavour, but it was still excellent.

I found though that the three cups of mix did not reduce down to one cup with 15 min of simmering. I gave it an extra 5 min, but still ended up with about 2 cups of sauce. This should last us for several meals.

Today I marinated a couple of pieces of salmon fillet in a few tablespoons of the sauce for four hours, then pan fried the fillets for about 3 minutes each side (I added a teaspoon of sesame oil to a tablespoon of safflower in a pan) and let them rest in the pan for about 10 min before serving sprinkled with snipped chives and toasted sesame seeds. Yum .

I think this would be excellent with tuna as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9495.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	150924  

Old 04-02-2017, 19:23   #1239

Warning: do not read this thread on an empty stomach.
Old 19-02-2017, 15:07   #1240

Boat: Pearson 365

Regarding the no knead bread-Just came back from visiting my daughter who served me this exact bread "so easy a six year old could make it" and it was freaking delicious! And I have been baking yeasted bread for twenty years-sometimes aboard. And it did taste fresh the second day. I think it would be worth the expenditure of fuel to have fresh bread aboard. I'm going to try it at home this week and perfect it for the sailing season.
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 17:28   #1241

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I made the no knead bread today as well. However I added cinnamon and raisins. Didn't preheat or use Dutch oven. After about 14 hours, I folded it and put it in bread pans, left it 4 hours then baked it at 400 till it smelled ready.
Turned out great and I'm using what's left for French toast tomorrow:-)
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 18:37   #1242
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
...And I have been baking yeasted bread for twenty years-sometimes aboard. And it did taste fresh the second day. I think it would be worth the expenditure of fuel to have fresh bread aboard. I'm going to try it at home this week and perfect it for the sailing season.
We've been making the No-Knead bread for several years. On board
I've been using a small "Wonderpot" made by Omnia to bake bread and cakes on the stove top. It gets very hot, very quickly although mostly for bun-sized loaves.

Apparently you can do stews as well, but I've never done that.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 18:51   #1243

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
We've been making the No-Knead bread for several years. On board
I've been using a small "Wonderpot" made by Omnia to bake bread and cakes on the stove top. It gets very hot, very quickly although mostly for bun-sized loaves.

Apparently you can do stews as well, but I've never done that.
Now that's a good item to add to the "Handy Stuff" thread!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-153058-6.html
https://www.amazon.com/Omnia-Oven-st...rds=wonder+pot
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-02-2017, 12:19   #1244

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
Regarding the no knead bread-Just came back from visiting my daughter who served me this exact bread "so easy a six year old could make it" and it was freaking delicious! And I have been baking yeasted bread for twenty years-sometimes aboard. And it did taste fresh the second day. I think it would be worth the expenditure of fuel to have fresh bread aboard. I'm going to try it at home this week and perfect it for the sailing season.
Having been raised on the mantra of "a minimum of 10 minutes kneading is needed to make any decent bread", up to now I have been very skeptical about the quality of loaf that this recipe would produce. It is just brilliant though, not just equal to, but far better than any bread I have made before.

Regarding expenditure of fuel, on board I usually bake bread on a baking tray to conserve gas. It turns out focaccia type thickness, but needs only about half the baking time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
I made the no knead bread today as well. However I added cinnamon and raisins. Didn't preheat or use Dutch oven. After about 14 hours, I folded it and put it in bread pans, left it 4 hours then baked it at 400 till it smelled ready.
Turned out great and I'm using what's left for French toast tomorrow:-)
LOL! The "smell" test is pretty reliable, isn't it . Interesting that putting it in a cold oven worked. Did you still get any oven spring? I haven't been game to use a cold oven for bread, although I do for lots of other baking.

My mouth is watering thinking about your cinnamon/raisin combo.
I have added a few savoury ingredients to this loaf with great success:
Dried rosemary with or without cheese
Chopped sundried tomato and fresh parsley
Olives and thyme

SWL

Old 20-02-2017, 12:38   #1245

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Having been raised on the mantra of "a minimum of 10 minutes kneading is needed to make any decent bread", up to now I have been very skeptical about the quality of loaf that this recipe would produce. It is just brilliant though, not just equal to, but far better than any bread I have made before.

Regarding expenditure of fuel, on board I usually bake bread on a baking tray to conserve gas. It turns out focaccia type thickness, but needs only about half the baking time.

LOL! The "smell" test is pretty reliable, isn't it . Interesting that putting it in a cold oven worked. Did you still get any oven spring? I haven't been game to use a cold oven for bread, although I do for lots of other baking.

My mouth is watering thinking about your cinnamon/raisin combo.
I have added a few savoury ingredients to this loaf with great success:
Dried rosemary with or without cheese
Chopped sundried tomato and fresh parsley
Olives and thyme

SWL
I rarely preheat for much baking. it is cold and dry here, so proofing is more difficult. Since I have a gas oven, the warm up period provides some much needed warmth and moisture to give a little last minute rising.
Doing flat breads is another good option. I usually lean towards naan style, buttered and barbecued with a little garlic. Very quick, less than a minute, and can be done while already grilling other foods. Preheating is better for flat breads though. My pizza turns out much better using our wood oven, roughly 500 degrees. As an aside, useing beer as the liquid in dough helps add flavour and boosts the yeast for a great rise;-)
I will have to try doing the no knead bread with cheese too, great idea.
Edit, the French toast was fantastic
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote