Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 29-05-2017, 02:29   #1306
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

They do Queso de Aceite...keeps the young Manchego soft.
Cheese in olive oil.
Along with the mildly spicy chorizo next to the Jamon on the back wall...it is a lunch or snack to be happy with...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 02:42   #1307

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
one other thing I do, is put garlic in a blender with a light oil and blend till a smooth paste. I fill 2 freezer cube trays and freeze. Then remove and put in a plastic bag in the freezer.

Some of the paste I put in a small jar, cover the top with oil to keep sealed and place in fridge. I use that in cooking till gone... about a week or 2.

For larger meals, I place one of the frozen cubes in the dish as preparing..
Good tip.

Whenever Mum had a surplus of lemons she finally grated them, mixed with sugar and oil and packed this mix into small glass jars before freezing. It was not solid when frozen, so she simply spooned it out as needed. Fuss free freshly grated rind on demand .

On board where freezing is not an option for long term preservation, I soak finely grated lemon rind in alcohol for a week, then strain the liquid and discarding the solids. I posted the recipe for this earlier. This keeps "forever" and is just beautiful in cakes and rice pudding and dressings and fish dishes. As a bonus it also gives you the best ever Limoncello .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 02:48   #1308
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
On board where freezing is not an option for long term preservation,

SWL
Will you have a freezer on the new vessel?
Old 29-05-2017, 02:51   #1309
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I conclude from our discussions here the following:

1/. Olive oil is wonderful.
2/. Wherever you are, Olive oil is wonderful.
3/. Olive oil goes good with most everything..

Old 29-05-2017, 03:12   #1310

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
if you can tell me the name of the product or look at the ingredient list and see it contains vinegar... then that is the answer..
They were not mine - friends served these with pre dinner drinks. I didn't know the hostess well enough to ask to see the labels .

SWL

Old 29-05-2017, 09:47   #1311

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
I'm not vegan, or even vegetarian, but really appreciate this thread's concept: accepting that storing meat requires boatwatts; and not everyone has either a freezer (capacity or existence), sufficient power supply, or budget to eat meat at every meal or for weeks on end. Huz and I have 100,000 miles of land travel with NO refrigeration--meat and most cheeses became delicacies we enjoyed immediately after provisioning. We usually carried dried or cured meat products to add flavor, but you do run out.

Plus, I have friends who are vegan or vegetarian, and while I wouldn't make every other guest eat to meet one guest's peccadillios, I'd certainly feel like a bad host if I didn't have one tasty dish the special sort (vegan or lchf-er) could eat!

I llllove tapas or antipastis, SFL. Marinated onions: save a glass container once you eat all the olives or pickles or whatnot, fill with about a pound of thin sliced onions, add 1:2 or 2:3 oil to vinegar ratio to cover the onions. Your choice of oil, vinegar. I usually use olive oil and a mix of red wine and white vinegar. Add a healthy amount of dried italian herbs mix (typically composed of basil, oregano, and rosemary) and an extra dash of basil. Add a few cloves of chopped garlic, and salt to taste. Secure lid and shake about to get the ingedients dispersed and the onions a little tenderized. Within a few hours, the onions may be used as dressing on a salad, coated and fried as tasty onion bits, grilled with mixed vegetables, served on bread (which may or may not also have a soft cheese spread) or broiled on focaccia. A jar of marinated onions goes surprisingly quickly.
MEANDERTHAL'S ONIONS

I tried your recipe this afternoon. It is absolutely scrumptious! Given I have an onion lover on my hands I know this will become a regular staple.

I used a 1:2 ratio of oil to vinegar. This is what I threw in to the mix:

1 + cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 + cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon mixed dried peppercorns
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon dried thyme
500g bag of red onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
1 tsp freshly ground salt

I combined the marinating mix earlier in the day to give the flavours a chance to infuse and the herbs to soften. Salt was sprinkled on the onion and this was left to drain on a paper towel for about half an hour to leach out any bitter juices. The onions were then tossed in the marinade. An extra splash of vinegar and oil were needed to top up the jar.

This was good instantly (I have the patience of a two year old, so a couple of tablespoons was "taste tested" immediately) and even better an hour later. I think that jar will only last a couple of dinners for us. It will also make an excellent dish on a tapas platter or as suggested, grilled on focaccia.

Meantherthal, thanks so much for the recipe . This is absolutely perfectly suited to cruising. All the ingredients are long lasting without refrigeration and something delicious can be transformed quickly from very basic staples.

Any more great ideas like this?

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0457.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	150920  

Old 29-05-2017, 12:56   #1312

Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
Within a few hours, the onions may be used as dressing on a salad, coated and fried as tasty onion bits, grilled with mixed vegetables, served on bread (which may or may not also have a soft cheese spread) or broiled on focaccia. A jar of marinated onions goes surprisingly quickly.

These were amazing and I love how little it took to make these! All I had was white vinegar and rice vinegar but it made a good combination with the olive oil! These with bread and soft cheese and, maybe, some olives are a perfect summer dinner for me! Thanks, Meanderthal!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 20:12   #1313
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
MEANDERTHAL'S ONIONS

I tried your recipe this afternoon. It is absolutely scrumptious! Given I have an onion lover on my hands I know this will become a regular staple.

I used a 1:2 ratio of oil to vinegar. This is what I threw in to the mix:

1 + cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 + cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon mixed dried peppercorns
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon dried thyme
500g bag of red onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
1 tsp freshly ground salt

I combined the marinating mix earlier in the day to give the flavours a chance to infuse and the herbs to soften. Salt was sprinkled on the onion and this was left to drain on a paper towel for about half an hour to leach out any bitter juices. The onions were then tossed the onions in the marinade. An extra splash of vinegar and and oil were needed to top up the jar.

This was good instantly (I have the patience of a two year old, so a couple of tablespoons was "taste tested" immediately) and even better an hour later. I think that jar will only last a couple of dinners for us. It will also make an excellent dish on a tapas platter or as suggested, grilled on focaccia.

Meantherthal, thanks so much for the recipe . This is absolutely perfectly suited to cruising. All the ingredients are long lasting without refrigeration and something delicious can be transformed quickly from very basic staples.

Any more great ideas like this?

SWL
Curious???

What effect (in your opinion) would using fresh rosemary and thyme have on the keeping qualities of this mix???
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 21:55   #1314

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Curious???

What effect (in your opinion) would using fresh rosemary and thyme have on the keeping qualities of this mix???
It would not improve it .

To extend the keeping quality of the liquid a bit, I will strain the contents when I use the last of the onions tonight (all the little bits of onion will be impossible to remove otherwise), so I think it would have made little difference whether fresh or dried rosemary and thyme were used. Personally, I would not use fresh herbs with a high water content here, so no basil or parsley, chives etc.

Maybe someone else can chime in here. Herbs like thyme are low growing and therefore suffer from contamination easily, so it may make more of a difference than I imagine. Onions at least are peeled.

This technique is not in any way akin to preserving, even short term. It is simply marinating. Think of the mix as a salad dressing. I plan to stick with dried flavourings and replace the liquid frequently. It costs peanuts and the ingredients are readily available.

SWL

Old 30-05-2017, 02:58   #1315

Quote:
It would not improve it .

To extend the keeping quality of the liquid a bit, I will strain the contents when I use the last of the onions tonight (all the little bits of onion will be impossible to remove otherwise), so I think it would have made little difference whether fresh or dried rosemary and thyme were used. Personally, I would not use fresh herbs with a high water content here, so no basil or parsley, chives etc.

Maybe someone else can chime in here. Herbs like thyme are low growing and therefore suffer from contamination easily, so it may make more of a difference than I imagine. Onions at least are peeled.

This technique is not in any way akin to preserving, even short term. It is simply marinating. Think of the mix as a salad dressing. I plan to stick with dried flavourings and replace the liquid frequently. It costs peanuts and the ingredients are readily available.

SWL
Thanks for your opinion - its sounds sound and I will take heed.

The thing is I have swags of fresh thyme & rosemary and am too lazy to dry it...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-05-2017, 03:16   #1316

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion - its sounds sound and I will take heed.

The thing is I have swags of fresh thyme & rosemary and am too lazy to dry it...
2-3 minutes in the microwave between a few sheets of kitchen paper towel should do it.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 03:21   #1317
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So this morning, I went to breakfast.
This was on the table, also one filled with Rosemary. I forgot to take photo of rosemary one. She said they make fresh about every 3 weeks. Have done so for 40 years.

Both tasted delicious.

Just washed and dried and put in raw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060761.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	148722   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060762.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	148723  

Old 30-05-2017, 03:57   #1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
2-3 minutes in the microwave between a few sheets of kitchen paper towel should do it.
Yeah, I suppose you'e right but using a microwave just doesn't seem kosher...
I gotta get with the modern ways

Maybe use some sort of irradiator - that's got to the 21st century surely...
Old 30-05-2017, 04:00   #1319

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So this morning, I went to breakfast.
This was on the table, also one filled with Rosemary. I forgot to take photo of rosemary one. She said they make fresh about every 3 weeks. Have done so for 40 years.

Both tasted delicious.

Just washed and dried and put in raw.
I think the key is that it is replaced about every 3 weeks .

How did they react to a doctor asking about their standards of practice for "health and safety"?

SWL

Old 30-05-2017, 04:20   #1320

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose you'e right but using a microwave just doesn't seem kosher...
I gotta get with the modern ways

Maybe use some sort of irradiator - that's got to the 21st century surely...
Wottie, no fancy equipment or fuss is needed. Do it the old fashioned way and hang the branches of thyme and rosemary high in a warm room. Think of French farmhouses .

Here in the NL in winter I put the branches on paper towel on the hydronic heater. In summer in the Med I simply left them outside in the shade on a metal tray, usually under the dodger so they did not blow away. The best way to preserve flavour and colour is without high heat or UV.

The leaves are very easy to strip off after they are dry. Just rub the twigs gently between your hands.

SWL