Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 02:01   #1396

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

This is one of my favorite threads on cruisers forum.

Gotta keep it going!

Migas are amazing. You can substitute reconstituted red pepper, sambal oelek, salsa, or canned peppers for fresh. Tortillas can be made fresh easily. Reconstitute dried onions or could use dried chives if even your onion stash is gone.

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitc...-to-make-migas

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 13:23   #1397

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
This is one of my favorite threads on cruisers forum.

Gotta keep it going!

Migas are amazing. You can substitute reconstituted red pepper, sambal oelek, salsa, or canned peppers for fresh. Tortillas can be made fresh easily. Reconstitute dried onions or could use dried chives if even your onion stash is gone.

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitc...-to-make-migas
I love cooking and eating and so exchange of new recipes and techniques and simply chatting about food is particularly enjoyable for me. I haven't contributed much to the thread for a long while, as I have been land based most of this year with a supermarket that makes my heart smile just a two minute cycle away. I have taken to dropping in every couple of days for fresh supplies. No need for meal planning or thinking about storage and preservation of food. Unlimited seafood and greens and berries has been a real treat .

With us being back on the water again shortly my mind is turning to boat food again. While I have unlimited power and water, I have started preparing by making batches of preserved items that will be appreciated when we are in more remote areas next year.

Thanks for the link to Migas. Not a dish I had heard of before. I bet it is equally good substituting the tortilla for cubes of any stale bread. Recipes using bread fried or baked with eggs are brilliant when sailing - quick to prepare and scrumptious.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:19   #1398

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I had a busy day in the kitchen today. A delivery of rope is arriving on Monday for our mooring lines and series drogue and I will be busy splicing for a while, so cooking will be kept to a minimum. A couple of batches of pesto and sundried tomato "pesto" were made to use over the next couple of weeks (hugely versatile, recipes included earlier), along with some chutney for the new boat.

For those of you unfamiliar with chutney, this is an Indian inspired British condiment, that made its way into Australian cuisine via British immigrants in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Unlike Indian chatni, it uses large amounts of vinegar and sugar, which give it a long shelf life. Perfect boat food .

We enjoy it with cheddar cheese and a loaf of crusty fresh bread, on sandwiches with tinned salmon and avocado, and it is also perfect on Indian onion bhajis with dollops of minted yogurt.

At the moment I have easy access to inexpensive frozen raspberries, something that was rare as hens teeth on the tiny Greek islands we liked to frequent, so I am taking advantage and stocking up on supplies of raspberry jam and raspberry vinegar. Today raspberry chutney was added to the collection, something I have been meaning to try for a while. Like most chutneys, this will probably improve with standing, but even freshly made it is excellent.

RASPBERRY CHILLI CHUTNEY

8 medium onions (500g when peeled)
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups sultanas
6 chillies, seeded and diced
1 heaped teaspoon salt

750g frozen raspberries
1 tablespoon grated ginger
zest of 2 oranges

- Combine first 7 ingredients
- Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes
- Add raspberries, ginger and zest, return to the boil and simmer 12 minutes, stirring often as the bottom will burn as it thickens
- Ladel into sterilised jars

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0724.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	159042  

Old 15-11-2017, 06:22   #1399

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BEJEWELED RICE

I was reading through the website Meanderthal posted a link to, and a recipe for rice caught my eye. I am always seduced first by how food looks, then by the smell and taste and texture .

This was the recipe:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bejeweled-rice

I substituted the shallots for an onion and chives and sautéed the spices a little longer than suggested before adding the rice. I also bumped up the water to 4 cups. I was roasting baby carrots to make soup, so I just tossed a couple of handfuls of those on top.

It was Norna Biron who introduced me to cardamom in rice and I have grown to just love the flavour. I remove the seeds from the pods and grind them my Hario coffee grinder. It only takes a couple of minutes longer and the superb burst of flavour is well worth it.

I overdid toasting the almonds, but this was still excellent. Leftovers were simply tossed together and are good either reheated or simply served as a cold rice salad. This is definitely a recipe I will make again. It is very versatile, as you could throw just about any dried fruit and nuts and vegetables on top. An excellent boat recipe.

SWL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0749.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	159224  

Old 21-11-2017, 16:55   #1400

SWL I wonder how many people know you've been on land bc you have been getting built the most extraordinary boat? So jelly. But not too jelly, bc a vessel like that needs people who can sail her as she deserves--far from the madding crowds!

Anyways, I love hummus, but never get the texture right. Plus, like most blended/pureed foods, the calories per unit of satisfaction goes way up. Masabacha is just deconstructed hummus, with all of the flavors but not (or not totally) pureed. So, less electrical, less time, more volume for enjoyment.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/11/h...ha-hummus.html

turtletraveling.com
Old 22-11-2017, 03:04   #1401

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Anyways, I love hummus, but never get the texture right. Plus, like most blended/pureed foods, the calories per unit of satisfaction goes way up. Masabacha is just deconstructed hummus, with all of the flavors but not (or not totally) pureed. So, less electrical, less time, more volume for enjoyment.

Meet Masabacha, the "Deconstructed Hummus" You Can Make Your Own | Serious Eats
Thanks for the link . That's an excellent website that I haven't come across before.

I enjoy whole chickpeas and together with beans and lentils they have become our major source on protein on board. I usually need to purée them though to disguise them, as someone else on board is not that keen on them .

That article provided a link to one on making hummus:
Israeli-Style Extra-Smooth Hummus Recipe | Serious Eats

It made fascinating reading. I enjoy knowing the "why" and this provided it in spadeloads. The big tip was regarding the processing of raw garlic. The sulfur containing chemical that gives raw garlic such a sharp taste is activated by an enzyme that is released when the bulb is damaged (cut, crushed etc). The activity of this enzyme is reduced in an acidic environment (down to about 20% with a pH of 2 that lemon juice has). So pureeing a whole undamaged bulb in lemon juice or vinegar dramatically limits the activity of the enzyme and therefore the release of the sulphur compound. The author carried out experiments processing six whole bulbs with water, lemon juice and vinegar, skinned and unskinned and his taste test confirmed this.

Although I love the flavour of roasted or sautéed garlic, I am always super cautious about how much I use raw. It is very easy to utterly spoil a dish such as hummus or tzatziki by adding to much. Half a clove goes a long way. This tip about processing raw garlic was invaluable, as it is a means of providing flavour without the horrible sharpness. Thanks again for the link.

SWL

Old 22-11-2017, 06:25   #1402

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With guests coming Friday night I thought some hummus to have with pre dinner drinks would be good.

OK, OK, I freely admit it. The real reason is that I was keen to test out this garlic technique, and I have zero patience .

I have some chickpeas soaking and I have just made up the lemon tahini sauce that will be added, as per this recipe:
Tahini Sauce With Garlic and Lemon Recipe | Serious Eats
The only variation is that I included the rind of the 3 lemons as well.

I skeptically started puréeing just one whole unpeeled clove using my stick mixer and tasted. Zero sharpness. Then two, then three, then the whole small head.
WOW! This works. Loads of flavour as you do with roasted garlic, no horrible taste.

Almost a cupful of cold water went into the sauce to give the right consistency.

I will cook up the chickpeas tomorrow and try the recipe in the previous post. One small tip I can add is that most of the skins are easy to remove if the chickpeas are rubbed after soaking while still submerged in water. The skins float to the top and are easy to skim off. I think this improves the texture of the hummus.

Unbelievable that a whole head of raw garlic went successfully into this!

SWL

TAHINI SAUCE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1605.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	159522  

Old 22-11-2017, 07:26   #1403
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

My favourite rice.

Persian.

Basmati rice- Your volume.
I potato, sliced into 1/4 inch thickness.
Cardamon. Just crush and use seeds.
Salt.
Big pot for rice.

Add rice to large volume of water. add salt and Cardamon seeds. Boil till 3/4 cooked. Drain.

Wash out the pan and add olive or vegetable oil in bottom. heat to medium then place potatoes on bottom as close fitting as you can. Potatoes must touch the pan bottom.

Add Rice on top of the potatoes heaping it in the middle and letting it fall to sides. Put hole in the top of the rice. Place teatowel over the top of the pan and place lid on. fold teatowel over lid so will not catch fire. Turn to low and cook for 45 mins to one hour.

The potatoes will be crispy on one side and soft on the other.

Rice is steamed and tastes really good.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 09:20   #1404

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

This thread is mercilessly cruel to someone browsing here with an empty stomach!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 10:28   #1405

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
This thread is mercilessly cruel to someone browsing here with an empty stomach!
I waited until after dinner to seriously start browsing through the Serious Eats website. Even so, reading the hot chocolate mix recipe made me reach for a Twix bar to have with coffee. Resistance was futile .

SWL

Old 23-11-2017, 01:24   #1406

Lol serious eats is dangerpuss--hungry turns ahead. SwL, I'm in AK, you are torturing me with the background of grapes, basil plants, avocados...*whine*

turtletraveling.com
Old 23-11-2017, 05:09   #1407
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What?!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	turkey chill.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	159559  
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 05:12   #1408

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Lol serious eats is dangerpuss--hungry turns ahead. SwL, I'm in AK, you are torturing me with the background of grapes, basil plants, avocados...*whine*
I have an array of wonderful fresh produce just a 2 minute bike ride away and I have been indulging to the max . Particularly items that don't last much more than a day, such as fresh greens and berries. It doesn't cancel out how very much I miss being on the water, but it does help.

I never thought twice about these items back in Australia, but after a decade cruising with intermittent fresh supplies that were always severely limited in variety, I still gaze in wonder when confronted by the fruit and veggie section at a supermarket.

This reinforces my theory that to really appreciate things you need to occasionally need to be deprived of them. Our brain just switches off when the input is unchanged .

SWL

Old 23-11-2017, 05:14   #1409

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
What?!
That reminds me, Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans celebrating today .

Old 23-11-2017, 05:29   #1410
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You should consider Microgreens and grow yourself on the boat.

Needs no electric. Just light and water.

Just take a few packet. of seeds. 50/50 Coir and soil, a few containers. Water well... in a dark place till germinated then put in sunlight.

Lettuce, all the herbs, onions, Kale, Broccolli, Pak Choy, Chives, Beetroot..

You eat the leaves from the first grow... tastes EXACTLY like the plant.

Dont mind my grow lights. Dont need them when the sun shines.. just put in cockpit near the windows... Harvest in 5-20 days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1060999.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	159560   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060989.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	159561  

Name:	P1060944.jpg