Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2024, 10:19   #1

Need help with an alcohol stove

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BCz...usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X1z...usp=drive_link

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some tips for using this stove I got off of Craigslist. I've seen the stoves before that have the rock wool wick in a closed container, but, as you can see, this one has an open tunnel all the way through and the airflow valves are at the bottom. Any tips on how to fill it, use it, and to keep the fuel from evaporating? I can't figure out any good ideas for filling without spilling.

I guess I'll do some trial and error and hopefully not blow myself up.

Thanks
milasdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 10:29   #2

Boat: Viko S35 & S2 7.3
Re: Need help with an alcohol stove

It should have a rubber pad that you put on the top of cans while are not used. That will prevent from evaporation while is not used.
Texasvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 11:18   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Hi, Milas,
Does the stove have control knobs to regulate the flow? How about some better pix?
Rognvald
Old 22-04-2024, 11:32   #4

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

That is a poorly-designed copy of an Origo….sell it to the next person on Craigslist and move on….
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 12:23   #5

Texasvlad: That would be enough if it was the standard burner that just opens at the top. Mine has another opening at the bottom and the air valves are at the bottom of each burner.

Rognvald: The control knobs that control the air vents are at the bottom front of the stove, and air flow is controlled from the bottom of each burner. The knobs are off right now, but you can see the sliders sticking out at the bottom of the stove.

Massnspace: haha. It might turn out that way. I'm hoping that the tunnel design will create some sort of venturi effect and make it burn hotter than normal stoves, and that I just need to figure out a consistent way to fuel it up. But we will see.

Still looking for any insight into how to fuel it up evenly. Thanks to everyone so far.
Old 23-04-2024, 11:04   #6

Decent results so far. I used a squirt bottle (like you'd get ketchup from in a cafeteria) while spinning the burner on its side to even coat the inner tunnel of insulation. At 500 feet elevation, I got one liter of cold tap water to bubble in 6 minutes and a rolling boil in exactly nine minutes. I then briefly turned it down all the way, and the simmer was a little stronger than I'd like, but that's always hard with a gas stove and small pots.

I weighed the burner before and after, and it used exactly 20 grams of fuel (sunnyside denatured).

I still need to figure out a convenient way to control evaporation since it's open at both ends. It might still be a step down from the Origo, but I only see two burner, gimballed, name-brand stoves for >$300, so I'm pleased so far.

I can't really call this a review since there are no brand or model markings on it, but if you see something like it, my first impressions are pretty decent.
Old 15-06-2024, 09:59   #7

Boat: Nordship 808

I had one of those in my Drabant 22, 30 years ago

As far as I recall we just held it an angle while pouring (gently) it sucks up the alcohol pretty hard.

Just like me
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stove