Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2020, 19:33   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Need Some Real World Advice

It is time to tackle the upgrading of the fridge freezers on Time To Go-- the current system uses large holding plates and is massive! The fridge and freezer are two separate compartments- both top loading. Both are so deep that they are a real PITA to get all the way down to the bottom. They ran from one large compressor unit that was down in the engine room. it has given up the ghost- might just be low on gas but either way it was a 110v only unit and I am not interested in repairing it. The fridge is about 44 inches across and at least 3 feet deep probably 22 inches in depth front to back- really BIG. (dimensions are approx.) Rather than replace with new compressors, I have been contemplating just cutting out under the counter and putting in ready made units that are front opening. ( I could keep the existing freezer and use it for more capacity and put a new compressor on it fairly easily). My question - has anyone done this? if so what brand of "drop in" did you use? any to stay away from? is fridge space or freezer space more important to the long distance cruiser? Boat is for long term cruising in tropics- we have a large battery bank, 1000 watts of solar, d400 wind generator and a 10kw generator which I would like to run once a week when we make water. any suggestions out there? The fridge box as it exists seemed to do a decent job holding ice when we used it with bagged ice in it while in transit. It is the original unit that was put in Gulfstars when it was new in 1980. There is a lot in here- I am particularly interested in hearing from people who are or have cruised in similar areas. Thanks!
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 19:27   #2

Re: Need Some Real World Advice

I can't answer your question, but do you mind if I ask how much power your fridge system uses, and how much the system cost you/what it is exactly? When I get a boat I want a very large fridge/freezer and am wondering how feasible it would be to get something like what you have.
TheNomadicAspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 20:51   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

There are many options for insert fridge and freezer units. But they can be pricey.
We have a built in 12 volt system, but the inserts are what we will upgrade to once the time comes
Here are a few examples, I remember seeing something on amazon too

https://www.westmarine.com/marine-refrigeration
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 18:21   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Front-opening in the tropics sounds like a good way to make the compressors overheat. Each time the door is opened, all the "coolth" will pour out.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote