Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2014, 12:46   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Nespresso Compatible Pods?

I've used the alternate pods with no success. Often they are packed so tight that the coffee just dribbles out and, without exception, I need to use a spoon to pop them out of the machine after use. The taste is also not as good as the original and the only advantages are price and since they are 100% biodegradable one can chuck them overboard while on passage without having to worry about breaking MARPOL rules.
I just stock up on pods whenever I hit a French island and my suitcase is full of pods when I fly back to the boat from Europe so I have a steady supply for my coffee addiction.
Old 22-03-2014, 13:48   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Take a look at the impressa c5. It's a fully automatic (bean to cup) machine, it is somewhat expensive, but makes incredible coffee and has no fiddly bits. Just a hopper for beans, a water tank, and that's it. Nothing smaller than a 2 cup wet measure.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 13:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, as I said, I have tried several varieties of these, so far without decent results.

$0.25 each is about half of what I pay for the real thing in the UK (30p or about $0.50). That's less than the cost of other substitutes I've used in Europe.
But you are asking for alternatives so try each alternative until you find one you like. Everyone has different opinions on coffee. Some people think the refillable pods I use with my espresso grounds are fine. Some don't like them. IMHO the refillable pods don't work well because the pressure is not right. Nespresso pods are sealed so that when you close the lid the holes the machine makes shoots the right amount of pressure through these holes. Most refillable pods haven't mastered this. So, your quest is to find a quality coffee you like in a pod that is made to be identical to the Nespresso.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 14:23   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Dockhead, old bean, don't be penny wise and pound foolish! 30p for the best espresso you can make at home or on your boat is peanuts, really. Forgo the imposters and stick the the real deal. As an added benefit, the Nespresso pods are charged with nitrogen, so they'll stay fresh forever on your boat.
Old 22-03-2014, 14:44   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Dockhead, old bean, don't be penny wise and pound foolish! 30p for the best espresso you can make at home or on your boat is peanuts, really. Forgo the imposters and stick the the real deal. As an added benefit, the Nespresso pods are charged with nitrogen, so they'll stay fresh forever on your boat.

Yes, that's where I am at the moment.

Just hoping for an alternative which I haven't found yet.

As to staying fresh forever -- that's not necessary, as they disappear in a flash. Storage life is not an issue
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 17:23   #21

Boat: JY15

https://www.amazon.com/Nespresso-Com...so%2Bpods&th=1

Great strong taste and aroma. Best price around @ .34 cents.
IsaacPFisher is offline   Reply With Quote