Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2021, 13:44   #76
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Number one way for Preserving eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
The reason we cool down food is to minimize spoilage. Putting eggs in the fridge SLOWS down the growth of bacteria, be it on eggs or other foods. Furthermore, I don't eat raw eggs but cook them, so if there was bacterial growth, it is a who cares. The eggs we were buying were consumed in a day or so not kept for weeks or months and we did not get sick.

The EU advice is interesting because the eggs are unwashed in the first place. Chicken scat and eggs go down the same "channel" so to speak. I crack eggs a certain way to minimize contact of the egg with the shell even though I cook the eggs anyway. I would be more worried about the growth of what is ALREADY ON an unwashed egg than what MIGHT grow when the eggs are kept cool.

Later,
Dan

Eu eggs come from vaccinated chickens so inherent salmonella in the eggs is a far lower risk. US doesn’t require this instead eggs have to be washed which removes the protective cuticle.

As a result US eggs have to be refrigerated.

In the EU. This is not the case.

No need to refrigerate EU eggs. Nature doesn’t require it. Mine stay on the counter top after they are hand picked from around the corner from my neighbour hens .

Please don’t ruin superior eggs by refrigerating them, it’s against the advice as well. Nobody here who knows anything keeps eggs in a refrigerator.

Even now on my boat on Greece in 34 degrees C I don’t have my eggs in the fridge.
Old 13-07-2021, 14:21   #77

Re: Number one way for Preserving eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Processing Options for Improving the Nutritional Value of Poultry Meat and Egg Products
M. G. MAST and C. S. CLOUSER

Scroll down [a long way] to:...

The quality of eggs stored at room temperature deteriorates at a much faster rate than does the nutritional value. Imai (1981) demonstrated that although coating the eggs slowed the rate of deterioration at room temperature in a 4-week storage study, egg quality was much higher in both coated and noncoated eggs stored for up to 4 months at 3ºC ..."

Here ➥ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK218177/
Thanks for that link. I have found that one and some others but they can be a bit dry in the reading. The paper I mentioned had a nice graph that showed the nutritional decay in hours after the egg was laid. Very easy to see and comprehend.

The graph was like this:

Pretty sure the document was on a state extension office website but I cannot find it and it is also the sort of document I would have saved.

Extension offices in the US are usually/always attached to state land grant universities and provide most excellent information regarding timber management, farming, gardening, food preservation, rural living, etc. Under rated organizations in my experience and a great use of tax payer money.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 11:07   #78

I've always kept eggs without any specific coating, they're just sitting in their boxes. They can be kept for up to a month after being laid like this! After the third week, though, it's better to check them out individually after cracking them open.

Basically, instead of putting them straight into the pan/bowl/whatever, you first open them in a glass, smell them, and then put it into the [abstract recipient in which you'll cook that egg].
This way, if you need five eggs and the fourth one you grab from the box is rotten, you'll find out before putting it in your recipient and before it can spoil the rest of the ingredients.

If you're worried about eggs breaking and are mostly going to use them as an ingredient (as in, in a cake recipe and not as scrambled eggs), you can use duck eggs instead. They're MUCH tougher, and they're also bigger (they're roughly equal to 2 chicken eggs).
Well, you can use them to make scrambled, boiled, sunny-side-up eggs or whatever, but the taste is different from chicken eggs and not everyone likes them. I do, but almost everyone else who tasted them doesn't.
OliV59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 11:27   #79

if you crack open an egg in the pan and the yolk doesn't hold togther, the egg isn't fresh.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 15:29   #80

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Chicken eggs straight from the chook (not washed) do last up to 3 months, with weekly turning in their flats. They are pretty old by the 3 months, and I used them in baking or pancakes, rather than frying or scrambling, at that stage. Only lost 2 eggs out of 3 flats purchased in Mexico, and finished in Fr. Polynesia.

However, there is also something you can do with hard cooked eggs that is different. Make up a pickling solution (as you would for pickled onions), and pickle them. We serve them sliced, on buttered crackers, or eat them whole as snacks on passage. A tiny bit of coriander or parsley dresses it up a bit. It takes a minimum of 3 days for them to get their flavor, and they will keep at least 3 weeks, but they're always gone before then.

Fish can be pickled the same way. Keeps 2 weeks.

Obviously, you need jars with sealing lids, and boiling temperatures.

Ann
Old 29-08-2021, 16:25   #81

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
However, there is also something you can do with hard cooked eggs that is different. Make up a pickling solution (as you would for pickled onions), and pickle them.

Ann
You forgot the canned beets.

WARNING! Sea Story Imminent!

I'm an ex-sub sailor. Prior to patrol, we would load crates of eggs (12 doz to a crate) on board. Have no idea how old they were when we got them, but they usually lasted around a month. However, on one deployment, they started going bad a week after we left. So we had to dispose of them.

Now trash from a sub was (is?) placed in weighted containers (so it sinks) and 'shot' out a TDU (trash disposal unit). That was one of my jobs. So, we loaded the eggs. whole, into the cans, and I 'shot' them to sea. Within a couple minutes I got a call (yes, there are actually phones on subs) from SONAR asking: "what the hell is in those cans!? It sounds like the 4th of July out there!. Seems that eggs, when they POP! from the sea pressure, are actually quite loud.

As to how the eggs lasted as long as they did; the Chief Cook told me they were spray coated with wax, to keep air out of the egg (apparently air can pass through the shell) so they would last longer. Apparently these eggs were not coated properly.
Old 30-08-2021, 13:33   #82

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

The best way to check if the eggs have gone of is the float test in a glass( or jug) of fresh water. Unspoilt eggs will sink to the bottom, eggs that are starting to go off will have neutral buoyancy and eggs that are off will float (something to do with the decay process causing gas to build up in the egg. if they have neutral buoyancy I will break the egg into a separate receptacle and sniff it, and usually, it is OK, If it floats just level with the surface, I will still do the same and it is usually fifty fifty that it it will be off. If it really floats, I won't even bother to crack it as you can be pretty sure it is going to whiff to high heavens (obviously off). This is the way my Grandparents checked eggs before we had sell by or use by dates. Oh and I never put my eggs in the fridge and have often used them several months after their use by date.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:13   #83

Boat: Privilege 39+2'
Talking Re: Number one way for Preserving eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Immerse the eggs in Engine Oil. New oil of course. When all the eggs are gone, change the oil in the engine.

Apparently the oil will not penetrate the membrane inside the shell. The object is to keep the air away from the egg.

Never heard of the lime method but we have forgotten so much.
Synthetic or mineral?
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote