Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2023, 18:29   #1

Obtaining CNG in Massachusetts/Rhode Island

hi - my new used Sabre has a CNG stove - worked great until ran out of fuel. I have made many calls but cannot find a source for a refill. In addition, I may need a new tank. Any suggestions for refill and tank ?
tx
Paul
PHK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 06:34   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Obtaining CNG in Massachusetts/Rhode Island

A quick search turned up this: https://www.cleanenergyfuels.com . They apparently deal in methane as a biofuel made from manure. It looks like they sell it to fuel long-haul trucks at various service stations around the country, including some in New Bedford, Fall River and Cranston. Might be worth calling to see if they will refill a tank for you, or sell you one.

Of course the new tank won't be the same size as the old one...
You may want to switch to propane.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 07:09   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
You may want to switch to propane.
That's the problem when a particular technology doesn't catch on. The few who did buy into it get left high and dry. Switching to propane isn't as simple as it sounds. CNG is lighter than air while propane is heavier. That forced some very specific rules for propane installations that didn't exist for CNG. In a land based system all you have to do is change the jets in the stove but on a boat the whole system may need to be redone from the tank locker all the way to the stove. Unless it was built to propane standards, but that is much more expensive so not likely.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 11:15   #4

Boat: Sabre 34

Hi Paul,

I have CNG and replaced my old tanks with new (refilled) at Lockwood boat works in NJ, but that was a few years ago and I am not sure if they still do it, it maybe worth a call to them if you are willing to drive that far.

I would also suggest to join the very active Sabre owners’ group, a lot of the members are from New England and may be able to help.

https://groups.io/g/SabreSailboat

Good luck.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 12:05   #5

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

I have 2 boats that use CNG. Here in Jacksonville, FL there are 3 "Filling Stations" that cater to commercial trucks that use CNG. I bought an adapter on Ebay for $225 that allows me the fill my tanks at these CNG pumps. A tank refill is about $6. I just filled 3 tanks in May for $19

As far as finding replacement tanks I have seen several here in this forums classified from time to time.
Old 19-07-2023, 12:39   #6

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCity View Post
Here in Jacksonville, FL
Hi, I've been trying to find a place in that area that can and would hydrotest my two CNG tanks. Did you have any luck with that? The ones that I've asked refused to test my gas tanks, were only allowed to hydrotest scuba tanks.

Thanks!
Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 14:33   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by krid2000 View Post
Hi, I've been trying to find a place in that area that can and would hydrotest my two CNG tanks. Did you have any luck with that? The ones that I've asked refused to test my gas tanks, were only allowed to hydrotest scuba tanks.

Thanks!
Dirk

Any place that sells welding gasses should be able to do it. Usually they send them somewhere that specializes in that and it takes a couple of weeks.
Old 19-07-2023, 16:25   #8

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Any place that sells welding gasses should be able to do it. Usually they send them somewhere that specializes in that and it takes a couple of weeks.
Great idea, I'll try that. Thank you!
Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 18:17   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

good luck. i heard they phased it out many years ago. but you can always try the adapter solution.
Old 19-07-2023, 19:04   #10

Boat: 2005 Albin 35CB

Friend of mine has a Sabre and CNG...gave me this info from www.sabresailboat.com:
https://groups.io/g/SabreSailboat/message/91246

Hope it helps.
nwh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 17:27   #11

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
That's the problem when a particular technology doesn't catch on. The few who did buy into it get left high and dry. Switching to propane isn't as simple as it sounds. CNG is lighter than air while propane is heavier. That forced some very specific rules for propane installations that didn't exist for CNG. In a land based system all you have to do is change the jets in the stove but on a boat the whole system may need to be redone from the tank locker all the way to the stove. Unless it was built to propane standards, but that is much more expensive so not likely.
Am well aware of the issues involved with switching from CNG to Propane. Unless you can find a CNG supplier (I suggested contacting the truck filling stations in the link I posted) it may be the sole viable option. Other posters say the truck filling stations work for them, so perhaps that is a good way to try. Maybe the OP will do that and let us know how that goes for him.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 05:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
I think OP should see if it can be converted, that will be easiest user friendly long-term solution. If I was buying a boat with CNG appliances I would be working in their replacement cost into my offer.
boating4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 16:52   #13

HI - i did find CNG in MA area - baased upon some information from you all - tx !

- Clean Energy at 1069 Shawmut Ave, New Bedfored MA - self-serve -have not tried.

- this is what i did do and worked great

https://inatgas.com/avsg-alternative-vehicle-service-group/

7 26 23

We (AVSG) can re-fill the cylinder at our station in Tewksbury (by appointment only) - but it has to be re-certified first - as CNG bottles/cylinders need to be re-certified every five (5) years. You can self-inspect the cylinder to confirm the date of its last inspection. Here's the information you'll need:

Here's some guidance regarding the refilling of CNG cylinders:

First, all cylinders must be within specification,
i.e. having been re-certified within five (5) years. The date of inspection/re-certification is typically stamped (not a label) just below the neck (narrowest section) of the cylinder. It's usually in the form of "10xyz18" for October of 2018 or something similar.

If the cylinders are within specification, please reach out to Iris Hill via email (ih@avsglp.com) or at (978) 562-3500 and she'll work with you to schedule an appointment with one of our technicians.

She can arrange to have a technician meet you in Tewksbury (MA), the town adjacent to the city of Lowell, with a day or two of advance notice (and this is our only marine CNG refilling location). We typically meet customers (it is notself-service) early in the morning or late in the afternoon as the techs are traveling throughout the middle part of the day.

The CNG facility is located in Tewksbury at Exit 92 off of Route 495.
The address is 20 Main Street (a/k/a Route 38) and intersects with Clark Road. There is a Market Basket shopping mall directly across the street from our station. It's ten minute process per cylinder fill. We're charging $65 (cash only - no other payment option at this time) per cylinder.

If the cylinder(s) is/are out of certification, please contact Northeast Pressure Vessel Testing (NEPVT) at (508) 389-1212.

You'll need to set up a drop-off day for your cylinders to be tested, recertified, painted, and then stamped. NEPVT's address is 97 Turnpike Road in Westborough, MA. Once dropped off, NEPVT will need a day or two (unless NEPVT can accommodate a tighter time-frame) to complete the testing/recertification/painting process. Fee is typically $35 per cylinder for this comprehensive service. Once recertified, the cylinders are good for another five (5) years. This is a US DOT regulation.

Hope this helps and happy CNG sailing!

Mike

Cellphone: (617) 571-8122

PHK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 16:59   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Sounds like owning a Betamax. Good technology, but it didn't catch on and so the fix was buying a VHS.
Old 03-10-2023, 17:08   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Thanks for the update, Mike. My CNG tank will be running low soon, and I have other projects ahead of propane conversion, so I too will be wanting a recertification and refill soon.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Massachusetts, Rhode Island