Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2023, 22:33   #1

Boat: 1976 Westsail 42
Orientation for new oven - parallel or perpendicular to midship

Have discovered that I have space in my galley to put a 30" wide combination microwave/convection oven. Doing a full conversion to electric eventually.

Old stove had pivot/hinges allowing it to swing with the heel of the boat.

Curious about consensus on what makes mounting for an oven make sense? Do people actually use their ovens under way? Is there good value in having the oven be able to pivot with the heel? would require the parallel to mid ship orientation.

Thanks for the opinions?
theller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 01:40   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Orientation for new oven - parallel or perpendicular to midship

Quote:
Originally Posted by theller View Post
Have discovered that I have space in my galley to put a 30" wide combination microwave/convection oven. Doing a full conversion to electric eventually.

Old stove had pivot/hinges allowing it to swing with the heel of the boat.

Curious about consensus on what makes mounting for an oven make sense? Do people actually use their ovens under way? Is there good value in having the oven be able to pivot with the heel? would require the parallel to mid ship orientation.

Thanks for the opinions?
You want the microwave on a gimbal for use underway. Most boats prefer to have meals for a passage pre-made in the freezer so that the microwave and possibly an electric rice cooker is all that is needed for preparing the meals.

We have a separate microwave for this and a larger grill/convection oven for baking bread, making granola etc. that is not on a gimbal.

The space where the gimballed propane stove used to be, you can create a new unit with the microwave below and a simple 1-burner induction unit on top. You can use that top to put a coffeemaker, rice cooker etc. while underway as well.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 01:55   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

About orientation: to use it athwartships (that is perpendicular to the centerline), 30" or 76 cm is quite a wide unit. And when heeling, the left or right hand side can go up or down 40-50 cm, lots of movement and inertia. My current stove/oven is fitted that way, but I would prefer to have the stove/oven fitted parallel to centerline, much less movement.
Also the weight needs to be fairly much in the middle to balance the gimbal system, or I need to use two pots. If I use one pot, I put another pot with water on the other burner, but do not lit the gas.

In regards to using oven underway: rarely. Eating simple or pre-prepared meals is usually the norm for me.

To use a microwave underway: It would think it needs to be gimballed. When I purchased this boat, the microwave was faulty and I never put a new one in. So, on this issue I haven't got really any experience.
Old 23-05-2023, 02:08   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
About orientation: to use it athwartships (that is perpendicular to the centerline), 30" or 76 cm is quite a wide unit. And when heeling, the left or right hand side can go up or down 40-50 cm, lots of movement and inertia. My current stove/oven is fitted that way, but I would prefer to have the stove/oven fitted parallel to centerline, much less movement.
Also the weight needs to be fairly much in the middle to balance the gimbal system, or I need to use two pots. If I use one pot, I put another pot with water on the other burner, but do not lit the gas.

In regards to using oven underway: rarely. Eating simple or pre-prepared meals is usually the norm for me.

To use a microwave underway: It would think it needs to be gimballed. When I purchased this boat, the microwave was faulty and I never put a new one in. So, on this issue I haven't got really any experience.
Yes, this is why a 1-burner induction unit works better: always in balance. When a 2nd burner is needed, which isn’t often with an electric rice cooker, ovens etc. then we simply use a second, portable induction cooktop that is also used on the table for things like breakfast, cheese fondue as well as in the cockpit

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 03:29   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What my experience has been is that given that I have two hands, if the oven is outboard, I can manage to get things in and out without disasters. Even when it is bouncy. Yes, I do use the oven under way. Overnight rising bread is a wonderful thing, baking in the morning..... (The recipe's in Seaworthy Lass's recipes thread.]

Obviously, it'd be nice for the oven to face aft, but usually on boats, that doesn't happen. Fridges, too, could open out, if they faced aft, but usually, etc.... It is that the major compromises have to be made so that you have all the *stuff* you need AND are able to get around the boat safely in a rambunctious seaway.

Ann
Old 23-05-2023, 03:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Also note that boats don’t only heel whilst underway - they also roll at anchor (wind, waves, & damned wakes).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 12:19   #7

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I have a combo microwave / convection oven, on a gimble, parallel to the centerline. It's mounted high up and outboard in my galley so I don't have to bend over to use it while underway. Even though it's gimbaled you have to hold the door when you open it to keep it level. I had it gimbaled when I got the bought in 1998. It's great underway for a quick hot drink or soup using the inverter without having to fire up the gen or main engine. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven