Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2008, 18:13   #1

ORIGO 3000 CANISTERS

LOOKING TO REPLACE MY OLD STOVE WITH THE
ORIGO ALCOHOL STOVE AND WONDER IF ANY ONE
KNOWS HOW LONG YOU CAN USE THE NEW NON PRESSURIZED CANISTERS BEFORE YOU HAVE TO
REPLACE THEM ? ALSO DOES THE ALCOHOL EVAPORATE FROM THE CANISTERS IF YOU DO NOT
USE THE STOVE IS NOT USED MUCH?

THANKS
ERNIE
S/V IRISH LOVE
ERNIE WOODARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 18:55   #2

The canisters are not disposable. You actually just pour more denatured alcohol into your current canister when it runs out (available at hardware stores). Also, they include some rubber covers for the canisters so that if you aren't going to use it for awhile the alcohol won't evaporate at all. I really like my 3000, but I'm kind of peeved that I can't find the optional potholders anywhere here in Oregon (or on the internet).
jimmiebuchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 19:07   #3

Boat: Dufour Arpege 30
I've had mine for 6 years. I use them all the time and so far I haven't had any problems. Yes the alcohol will evaporate. I've found that if I use the stove every day it is not that significant. However if you go away and don't use the stove for a week you will notice the loss. I buy my alcohol in 1 qt cans from Lowes or Walmart. XLS denatured alcohol. One can lasts about 10 days. One can is just right to fill the container to the proper level. I use it to make coffee in the morning, seldom use it for lunch, but use it for dinner almost every night. The stove has worked flawlessly and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The only complaint I have is that when it's cold it creates allot of moisture that condenses on the walls and ceiling.

Tim
Zephyr's Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 23:59   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Quote:
However if you go away and don't use the stove for a week you will notice the loss
The rubber gasket should stop this. We've no problem with ours and the alcohol doesn't evaporate with them in place. If you have lost them I've heard good substitutes can be made out of those silicon pads used for sticking hot pots on (the name of these things escapes me at the moment).

BTW the first mate loves her Origo - a lot of alcohol stoves have a bad rep for cooking steaks (not hot enough) but the Origos do a wonderful job.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:40   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
... I've heard good substitutes can be made out of those silicon pads used for sticking hot pots on (the name of these things escapes me at the moment)...
Trivet or Pot Holder?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:36   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiebuchanan View Post
The canisters are not disposable. You actually just pour more denatured alcohol into your current canister when it runs out (available at hardware stores). Also, they include some rubber covers for the canisters so that if you aren't going to use it for awhile the alcohol won't evaporate at all. I really like my 3000, but I'm kind of peeved that I can't find the optional potholders anywhere here in Oregon (or on the internet).

I got one set of potholders from my local West Marine. They had a set in stock because someone ordered them then didn't want them. The other I got from Defender. For some reason Defender's price (Potholder) is higher than Swego's (Potholder Set 3001 for Origo 1500, 3000, 6000).

They do help considerably when trying to make coffee while sailing.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
origo