Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2022, 19:30   #1

Plant based provisioning

hey folks!

we are mostly plant based and imagining how we might go about provisioning for longer trips or a multiyear adventure who knows where.

thinking we would buy a truckload of veggies, cook, vacuum seal and freeze a ton, buy large bags of powdered plant milks, green powders, protein powders, frozen fruit and more!

prolly add extra freezer space to make it work. met some folks in la paz mexico who did it like this, but that was many years ago and all I remember from talking to them was that it is days and days of prep and freeze if you want veggies for the next who knows how many months.

we'll catch fish along the way but that's hit or miss and nothing to rely on

please chime in if you have experience with this and share any tips trix and best practices.

thanks in advance!

don Lobo
Don Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 20:15   #2

Re: Plant based provisioning

If you can't rely on catching fish, you need to learn more about how to catch fish. There are a lot of them in the ocean, and with just a bit of learning you can supply all the protein you need. Although last i checked fish were not plants, so I am not sure how they fit...

Most places in the world eat a far more "plant based" diet that the average US resident. But that's because they HAVE to, not because they want to.

I am not sure what your "adventure" entails, but there are people everywhere you go. And they all EAT, pretty much every day. Almost NONE of them eat "plant milks, green powders, protein powders" If you can find those highly process psuedo-foods at all, they will be INSANELY expensive, even in the most civilized of places. As an example, we did see a major brand of protein powder that was sold for US$25 in the USA for sale in Sint Maartin for US$125

Fruit, vegetables, bread, etc are however are available at every port. And cheaply. Why would you ever want to bring frozen fruits from home when fresh fruit is available all over???

For us, one of the true delights in cruising to remote places is to adapt our diets to what the locals eat. Learn from them what is good, and how to prepare it. Learn, and expand your diet.

If you want to pack up food from your home and ONLY eat that for a "multiyear" adventure, then I would suggest you would be better off consulting with websites catering more to "preppers". Real cruislers don't do that. First we can't afford to, and second, who wants to eat preserved, dried and processed foods for years?
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 20:25   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I'm with ItDepends.

The longest you would be at sea is a month or so and most times, a lot less.
Anywhere you go you will find local markets selling fresh produce and purchasing at markets helps the local economy. If you want continuing fresh produce on a long passage, I posted this recently in another thread:

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 00:48   #4

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

Some basics we have months’ worth stored on board:
  • Rice
  • Lentils (dried)
  • Beans (dried)
  • Peas (dried)
  • Spinach (dried)
  • Mushrooms (dried)
  • Tomatoes (canned and sun-dried both)

With some additional fresh produce and a ton of different spices, these already allow for a pretty varied diet. And all of these should stay good for multiple years, though we don’t have enough storage for that so our rotation is for most of these things just a few months. Most of our mushrooms were picked in 2018.

Just rehydrate and use.
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 00:05   #5

Sprout! A few jars some screen for the top. Can have a bushel of em in a few days. Tasty town! Use the rinse water for coffee in the marnin.
Davidjones666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning